    and N+, i heard there are exemptions i can get on MCSA/MCSE what's the best
    way forward

    , Oct 4, 2009

  2. Paul Jones Guest

    On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 09:21:01 -0700,
    <> wrote:

    >what's the best way forward

    Straight ahead.

    Paul Jones, Oct 4, 2009

  3. Guest

    what i mean is what exemptions can i get and how do i apply for them.

    "Paul Jones" wrote:

    > On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 09:21:01 -0700,
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >what's the best way forward

    > Straight ahead.

    , Oct 4, 2009
  4. ""
    <> wrote in message

    > what i mean is what exemptions can i get and how do i apply for them.

    There are no exemptions.

    Certain CompTIA certifications can be used to fulfill the requirements of
    the Elective Exam for the MCSA/MCSE certifications.

    To use your CompTIA certs as elective credit for the MCSA/MCSE, you need to
    ensure that they're recorded on your MCP transcript:
    https://mcp.microsoft.com/mcp/tools/trans.aspx

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Oct 5, 2009
  5. Paul Jones Guest

    On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 19:14:26 -0500, "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]"
    <> wrote:

    >To use your CompTIA certs as elective credit for the MCSA/MCSE, you need to
    >ensure that they're recorded on your MCP transcript:
    >https://mcp.microsoft.com/mcp/tools/trans.aspx

    No, he can only use them for an MCSA.
    He has not got Security+, just A+ and N+ which can only be used towards
    and MCSA. The Security+ is needed for MCSE (or MCSA:Security).

    Paul Jones, Oct 5, 2009
  6. "Paul Jones" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 19:14:26 -0500, "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>To use your CompTIA certs as elective credit for the MCSA/MCSE, you need
    >>ensure that they're recorded on your MCP transcript:
    >>https://mcp.microsoft.com/mcp/tools/trans.aspx

    > No, he can only use them for an MCSA.
    > He has not got Security+, just A+ and N+ which can only be used towards
    > and MCSA.

    Hmm.. then somebody probably needs to tell Microsoft Learning to remove the
    entry from the MSCE requirements page:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcse.aspx#tab2

    Since the requirements page does not explicitly list the certifications
    which are currently accepted, I presume you have an alternate published
    location for which you can provide a reference link.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Oct 5, 2009
  7. Paul Jones Guest

    On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 08:56:30 -0500, "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]"
    <> wrote:

    >"Paul Jones" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 19:14:26 -0500, "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>To use your CompTIA certs as elective credit for the MCSA/MCSE, you need
    >>>ensure that they're recorded on your MCP transcript:
    >>>https://mcp.microsoft.com/mcp/tools/trans.aspx

    >> No, he can only use them for an MCSA.
    >> He has not got Security+, just A+ and N+ which can only be used towards
    >> and MCSA.

    >Hmm.. then somebody probably needs to tell Microsoft Learning to remove the
    >entry from the MSCE requirements page:
    >http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcse.aspx#tab2
    >
    >Since the requirements page does not explicitly list the certifications
    >which are currently accepted, I presume you have an alternate published
    >location for which you can provide a reference link.

    Well when I search Microsoft.com for:
    comptia mcse mcsa partners

    I do find one link in Australia that has the original requirement pages.
    I know they (Ozzies) are a bit backward (or is that upside down) but I
    am sure MS is the same there as anywhere:

    Here is one result (second on page):

    http://www.microsoft.com/australia/learning/mcp/partners.mspx

    Now this information did use to be able to find on the MS site but since
    MS decided they don't like the MCSA and MCSE anymore it is now near
    impossible to find.

    Paul Jones, Oct 5, 2009
  8. Matrixx333 Guest

    On Oct 5, 10:39 am, Paul Jones <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 08:56:30 -0500, "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]"
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > >"Paul Jones" <> wrote in message

    > >> No, he can only use them for an MCSA.
    > >> He has not got Security+, just A+ and N+ which can only be used towards
    > >> and MCSA.

    > >Hmm.. then somebody probably needs to tell Microsoft Learning to remove the
    > >entry from the MSCE requirements page:
    > >http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcse.aspx#tab2

    > >Since the requirements page does not explicitly list the certifications
    > >which are currently accepted, I presume you have an alternate published
    > >location for which you can provide a reference link.

    > Well when I search Microsoft.com for:
    > comptia mcse mcsa partners
    >
    > I do find one link in Australia that has the original requirement pages.
    > I know they (Ozzies) are a bit backward (or is that upside down) but I
    > am sure MS is the same there as anywhere:
    >
    > Here is one result (second on page):
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/australia/learning/mcp/partners.mspx
    >
    > Now this information did use to be able to find on the MS site but since
    > MS decided they don't like the MCSA and MCSE anymore it is now near
    > impossible to find.

    Just to throw my two cents in, I was also provided the same
    information that Paul Jones is providing in my New Horizons class. The
    instructor stated that A+ and Net+ can be used to fill the elective
    requirements of the MCSA portion, but they could not be "reused" to
    apply to the MCSE. He stated that I would be required to take the Sec+
    for the MCSE if I wanted to use it as an alternate elective.

    Matrixx333, Oct 6, 2009
  9. "Matrixx333" <> wrote in message

    > Just to throw my two cents in, I was also provided the same
    > information that Paul Jones is providing in my New Horizons class. The
    > instructor stated that A+ and Net+ can be used to fill the elective
    > requirements of the MCSA portion, but they could not be "reused" to
    > apply to the MCSE. He stated that I would be required to take the Sec+
    > for the MCSE if I wanted to use it as an alternate elective.

    That doesn't seem to make sense. There are several exams that are listed as
    electives for both the MCSA and the MCSE, and they all can be "reused". In
    fact, I believe that the only thing you have to do to "upgrade" an MCSA
    (Win2003) to an MCSE (Win2003) is take the two extra core exams (70-293,
    70-294), and one of the two design exams (70-297 or 70-298).

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Oct 6, 2009
  10. Paul Jones Guest

    On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 17:37:58 -0500, "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]"
    <> wrote:

    >"Matrixx333" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Just to throw my two cents in, I was also provided the same
    >> information that Paul Jones is providing in my New Horizons class. The
    >> instructor stated that A+ and Net+ can be used to fill the elective
    >> requirements of the MCSA portion, but they could not be "reused" to
    >> apply to the MCSE. He stated that I would be required to take the Sec+
    >> for the MCSE if I wanted to use it as an alternate elective.

    >That doesn't seem to make sense. There are several exams that are listed as
    >electives for both the MCSA and the MCSE, and they all can be "reused". In
    >fact, I believe that the only thing you have to do to "upgrade" an MCSA
    >(Win2003) to an MCSE (Win2003) is take the two extra core exams (70-293,
    >70-294), and one of the two design exams (70-297 or 70-298).

    Makes sense or not. You CANNOT use any CompTIA credential but Security+
    as an elective for an MCSE.
    This has always been the case.
    The page that is on the Australian site is exactly the same one as used
    to be on the main US site.
    Do you think it is different just for an Australian MCSE? Of course not!

    Paul Jones, Oct 7, 2009
  11. John R Guest

    "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]" <> wrote in message

    > That doesn't seem to make sense. There are several exams that are listed
    > as electives for both the MCSA and the MCSE, and they all can be "reused".
    > In fact, I believe that the only thing you have to do to "upgrade" an MCSA
    > (Win2003) to an MCSE (Win2003) is take the two extra core exams (70-293,
    > 70-294), and one of the two design exams (70-297 or 70-298).

    The "upgrade" statement is true for some electives like 70-228, but not for
    others like MCDST and CompTIA.

    I used MCDST for my MCSA. After completing 293, 294, and 297, I still was
    not awarded MCSE. I had to satisfy the "MCSE Elective" requirement before I
    got it.

    John R

    John R, Oct 7, 2009

    Okay.. so point me to a *Microsoft* published reference at microsoft.com
    that explicitly states this as fact.

    > The page that is on the Australian site is exactly the same one as used
    > to be on the main US site.

    Australian sites don't mean squat in the U.S.

    > Do you think it is different just for an Australian MCSE?

    It could be!

    Also, in case you hadn't noticed, there's a *LOT* of information that's
    still posted on the "Australian" site that's long since been removed from
    the U.S. site, including links for eval copies of Win2003; so, to be honest,
    I'm a bit skeptical about anything currently posted on a Microsoft-Australia
    site.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Oct 9, 2009
  13. "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote in message

    > The "upgrade" statement is true for some electives like 70-228, but not
    > for others like MCDST and CompTIA.
    >
    > I used MCDST for my MCSA. After completing 293, 294, and 297, I still was
    > not awarded MCSE. I had to satisfy the "MCSE Elective" requirement before
    > I got it.

    This is not a valid comparison, John. The MCDST is not eligible for use as
    an MCSE elective under any circumstances, it can only be used for the MCSA;
    and *that* is why you had to still satisfy the MCSE elective.

    MCDST Listed:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcsa.aspx#tab2
    MCDST Not Listed:

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Oct 9, 2009
  14. Paul Jones Guest

    On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 22:54:09 -0500, "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]"
    <> wrote:

    >"Paul Jones" <> wrote in message

    >> Makes sense or not. You CANNOT use any CompTIA credential but Security+
    >> as an elective for an MCSE.

    >Okay.. so point me to a *Microsoft* published reference at microsoft.com
    >that explicitly states this as fact.

    You are the one giving out bad and completely wrong information so YOU
    point the OP to a link that states he CAN use them. Not just one that
    states CompTIA exams like you have done.
    How is he going to feel if he thinks he has completed his MCSE only to
    be knocked back. Think before giving out advice without doing any
    research into it!

    As already mentioned, MS decided to take down the information that they
    had posted. Which was *identical* to the Australian site.
    I am sure the Australians will be really please that you hold them in
    such high regard!

    It is discussed here:
    http://www.proprofs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22226
    http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...57d-87a7-0e67a7b4f2e6&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=&p=1
    http://www.focusprojects.co.uk/itsm/training-courses/certificate-family/5/
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/CertGeneral/thread/57fcee97-cd94-49e1-be13-26dd21ee9f2e

    CompTIA state "Microsoft includes CompTIA Network+ in their Microsoft
    Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) program".
    http://www.comptia.org/certifications/listed/network.aspx
    No mention of MCSE. You would think they would shout about that,
    wouldn't you (well any intelligent person would).

    How you got MVP status is beyond me!

    Complaint email sent.

    Paul Jones, Oct 9, 2009
  15. "Paul Jones" <> wrote in message

    >>> Makes sense or not. You CANNOT use any CompTIA credential but Security+
    >>> as an elective for an MCSE.

    >>Okay.. so point me to a *Microsoft* published reference at microsoft.com
    >>that explicitly states this as fact.

    > You are the one giving out bad and completely wrong information so YOU
    > point the OP to a link that states he CAN use them. Not just one that
    > states CompTIA exams like you have done.

    Oh... I see... That's what this is evolving into.

    Look, Paul. I pointed the O.P. (who has been absent from this conversation
    for the past 5 days) to the official source for information published by
    Microsoft. If there's more detail required by the O.P. beyond what's on that
    website, then I guess he's going to have to pick up the telephone and ask
    somebody directly.

    I don't have, and never claimed to have, any authoritative information as to
    exactly which CompTIA exams are eligible, or are not. I have challenged you,
    twice, to offer links to support your statements that only certain exams are
    eligible, and more recently, that they cannot be "reused" for the MCSE
    (which is contrary to every other exam on the electives list), and the best
    you've been able to come up with is a three-year old page which only exists
    on the Microsoft-Australia site (which I've already noted has a LOT of
    outdated information), and exists nowhere on the Microsoft Corporate site.

    And now you attack me for "giving out bad and completely wrong information".

    I never claimed anything to be fact; I directed the O.P. to the
    authoritative source for information, which sadly is incomplete as concerns
    the use of CompTIA+ exams.

    I'll also note that you were the person who originally responded to the O.P.
    with the smart-aleck and totally useless answer of "Straight ahead". I,
    ultimately, answered the O.P.s question by informing him he needed to get
    his CompTIA credentials recorded on his transcript in order to get credit
    for those exams against his MCSA/MCSE. The O.P. was never interested in a
    conversation about *which* exams were, or were not, required. You jumped
    into the thread, with the statement about which exams could be used for
    which cert -- which was NOT the O.P.s question. And now, having started the
    unnecessary argument, you get ugly and personal.

    > How is he going to feel if he thinks he has completed his MCSE only to
    > be knocked back.

    This is not *my* responsiblity, and, in fact, I'm the person making the
    point here that one should NOT rely on unsubstantiated or out-of-date
    information coming from a Third Party (including former classroom
    instructors). I DO NOT KNOW what the specific requirements are, but I think
    it's highly unusual that the exams cannot be "reused", or that there are ANY
    MCSA electives that cannot be used as an MCSE elective.

    > Think before giving out advice without doing any research into it!

    I'm not giving advice; I'm providing facts based on published information
    from authoritative sources.

    The only information I've provided was to instruct the O.P. that he needed
    to get his exams recorded on his transcript.

    Beyond that, in this thread, it is you who are providing
    advice/information -- and I'm merely challenging you to provide an
    authoritative source for your information -- which you have not yet been
    able to do.

    But if you want advice! Here's mine:

    Frankly, I'd recommend *against* using CompTIA exams as electives for the
    MCSA/MCSE anyway! Consider the scenario where a candidate has taken all
    required exams for the MCSA/MCSE except the elective. Why, pray tell (based
    on your information) would a person then want to take TWO more exams to get
    the MCSA and yet another THIRD exam to get the MCSE, when both
    certifications (the MCSA being a de facto earned cert of all MCSEs
    otherwise) can be achived with *ONE* Microsoft exam.

    Furthermore, what's Not Good about this scenario, is that, strictly
    speaking, based on the information being provided here (which I've already
    stated seems illogical), it's possible for a person to earn an MCSE (using
    the CompTIA Security+ exam) and NOT be an MCSA because they haven't met the
    elective requirement of that certification -- and *that* is messed up!

    Now, if you want to suggest that the MCSE requires the A+ =and= Security+
    =and= one of the Network+/Server+, then I'll be a perfectly happy camper.

    > As already mentioned, MS decided to take down the information that they
    > had posted.

    That ought to be the *FIRST* clue!!!

    > I am sure the Australians will be really please that you hold them in
    > such high regard!

    Maybe if the Australians would update their site, I would.

    > It is discussed here:
    > http://www.proprofs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22226
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...57d-87a7-0e67a7b4f2e6&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=&p=1
    > http://www.focusprojects.co.uk/itsm/training-courses/certificate-family/5/
    > http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/CertGeneral/thread/57fcee97-cd94-49e1-be13-26dd21ee9f2e

    None of those are Microsoft authoritative references, and neither of the
    forum threads posted have an answer from a Microsoft resource. They all rely
    on the CompTIA website's interpretation -- which I think is flawed because
    it appears to PRESUME that an MCSE candidate has already completed the MCSA
    *and* used the CompTIA A+ and N+/S+ as the elective requirements.

    > CompTIA state "Microsoft includes CompTIA Network+ in their Microsoft
    > Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) program".
    > http://www.comptia.org/certifications/listed/network.aspx
    > No mention of MCSE.

    It's a product website for the Network+ exam, space is limited. I'm not
    surprised at all.

    > How you got MVP status is beyond me!

    Insults are entirely inappropriate and unnecessary.

    > Complaint email sent.

    <sigh>

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Oct 9, 2009
  16. Paul Jones Guest

    On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 09:25:14 -0500, "Lawrence Garvin [MVP]"
    <> wrote:

    >Oh... I see... That's what this is evolving into.

    <major snippage>
    I have no time to read all that!

    >And now you attack me for "giving out bad and completely wrong information".

    There has been no attack. Facts have been presented to you and you
    dispute them and provide no source of information to back up your claim.

    >I never claimed anything to be fact; I directed the O.P. to the
    >authoritative source for information, which sadly is incomplete as concerns
    >the use of CompTIA+ exams.

    No you gave the user bad information. Quote:
    "To use your CompTIA certs as elective credit for the MCSA/MCSE, you
    need to ensure that they're recorded on your MCP transcript:"

    Note the word 'your'! So you were advising the OP he could use his
    CompTIA A+ and N+ certs towards and MCSE.

    This was further shown when I pointed out to you that he could not use
    them for the MCSE when you replied:
    "Hmm.. then somebody probably needs to tell Microsoft Learning to remove
    the entry from the MSCE requirements page:"

    I do not see any entry on the page using the link *You* provided that
    states it could be used for an MCSE.

    So you provide bad information and a bad link to back it up.
    Then demand I do your research for you to prove to you what I and
    probably the rest of the world know is correct.
    Here's me thinking an MVP is supposed to be helpful.

    Then you slate the Austrian Microsoft site too. So if "Australian sites
    don't mean squat in the U.S" and you do not accept the information
    provided is genuine and applies to the U.S, does that mean you still
    believe you are right?

    Paul Jones, Oct 9, 2009
  17. John R Guest

    > "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> The "upgrade" statement is true for some electives like 70-228, but not
    >> for others like MCDST and CompTIA.
    >>
    >> I used MCDST for my MCSA. After completing 293, 294, and 297, I still
    >> was not awarded MCSE. I had to satisfy the "MCSE Elective" requirement
    >> before I got it.

    > This is not a valid comparison, John. The MCDST is not eligible for use as
    > an MCSE elective under any circumstances, it can only be used for the
    > MCSA; and *that* is why you had to still satisfy the MCSE elective.

    I understand that.

    I think my point was that CompTIA A+, N+ is the same thing, it is only
    allowed to apply to MCSA.
    CompTIA is listed on the MCSE page because Security+ is accepted for that.

    One would reasonable assume that the requirement pages that you quote would
    be more specific.

    I'm just being nit-picky witch-ya :)

    John R

    John R, Oct 9, 2009
  18. Paul Jones Guest

    On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 14:03:55 -0400, "John R"
    <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote:

    >I think my point was that CompTIA A+, N+ is the same thing, it is only
    >allowed to apply to MCSA.
    >CompTIA is listed on the MCSE page because Security+ is accepted for that.
    >
    >One would reasonable assume that the requirement pages that you quote would
    >be more specific.

    Indeed. It was previously shown but got changed when the new 2008 certs
    came in.

    Paul Jones, Oct 9, 2009
  19. John R Guest

    > Okay.. so point me to a *Microsoft* published reference at microsoft.com
    > that explicitly states this as fact.

    Just to throw a little more fuel around, I believe the page he cited was...
    http://www.microsoft.com/australia/learning/mcp/partners.mspx

    What is the domain name on that link? :)

    John R

    John R, Oct 9, 2009
  20. "Paul Jones" <> wrote in message

    >>I never claimed anything to be fact; I directed the O.P. to the
    >>authoritative source for information, which sadly is incomplete as
    >>concerns
    >>the use of CompTIA+ exams.

    > No you gave the user bad information. Quote:
    > "To use your CompTIA certs as elective credit for the MCSA/MCSE, you
    > need to ensure that they're recorded on your MCP transcript:"
    >
    > Note the word 'your'! So you were advising the OP he could use his
    > CompTIA A+ and N+ certs towards and MCSE.

    <sigh>.. speaking of no time to deal with penny-ante pedantic arguments . .
    ..

    I'm outta here!

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA