Passed 70-315 today

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by Emma Burrows, Feb 11, 2005.

  1. Emma Burrows

    Emma Burrows Guest

    Yes, it's another one of those "yay! I passed" posts. But as I found sifting
    through these posts in Google Groups rather reassuring when I had my
    last-minute panic in the last few days, I hope this will help future
    candidates too, even if it's a bit long. :)

    The exam consisted of 43 questions to answer in 2 hours. It took me one hour
    to run through all the questions once. I then used another half hour to
    review questions I didn't feel confident about, and went through all the
    questions again in the last half hour. I passed with 962 points (the passing
    score is 700). Based on my score report and a quick check afterwards
    (followed by a cry of "doh!"), I know I got at least one question wrong, but
    there was no indication of what the maximum possible score might have been.

    Since these questions get asked a lot around here, here's some stuff about
    my background, and what study materials I used.

    My last job was as a technical support engineer and systems administrator. I
    have a lot of ASP experience from personal projects, and I was the web
    master and SQL administrator for the company I worked for, so I did have a
    good background in ASP, IIS and SQL to start with (which is why I've started
    my MCAD/MCSD route with 70-315). I have also implemented and supported a
    couple of ASP.NET applications in the past, though I never wrote any myself.
    Aside from my ASP work, I've written some tiny, unambitious things in C++
    and C# - just enough to convince me that this is an avenue I want to pursue
    further.

    I used the following resources to learn the material and prepare for the
    exam:

    Microsoft MCAD Self-Paced Training Kit
    (see http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/6714.asp)
    Having read through it twice before getting the Kalani book, I didn't find
    this book massively useful. It gives a high-level overview of the topics
    covered by the exam, but the exercises aren't very helpful, and the
    explanations aren't always very clear either. After completing it, I didn't
    feel I had a good grasp on some of the topics at all. However, I did find
    the practice exam on the CD quite useful. It is very difficult (though
    partly because of the hideous interface! :), and provides feedback on the
    areas where you have weaknesses, much as the real exam does. It's like a
    sadistic version of the real exam, only you get half the time to do it. So
    if you pass that, you're probably ready for the real thing. However, I can't
    recommend actually spending money on this book if your budget is tight. I
    couldn't pass its practice test after working through the book, and I doubt
    I would have passed the real exam either.

    Que 70-315 Training Guide by Amit Kalani
    (see http://tinyurl.com/4rhh7)
    Anyone who hangs around this group for any length of time will have noticed
    the amount of praise heaped upon this book. Let me heap some more. The
    author's command of the English language might be dubious at times, but his
    command of the subject matter, and how to impart that knowledge to his
    readers, is excellent. I did all the exercises and all the practice
    questions, and it really did teach me the essentials of ASP.NET and the
    related concepts. The practice test in the book doesn't bear much
    resemblance to the real exam, but it does check that you've learned the
    material. I also found the PrepLogic preview exam on the CD quite a
    challenge and a good encouragement to research some of my weak points
    (though unfortunately, part of the challenge was provided by poorly-worded
    questions).

    Once I'd worked my way through the whole of Kalani's book, I was confident I
    knew enough about the subject matter to attempt the exam. So that's when I
    decided to book it at http://www.vue.com (that's also when I realised that
    this week would be my last opportunity to sit the exam, as I'm expecting a
    baby in three weeks' time - I wonder if I'm the most pregnant MCP? :). But I
    gave myself two weeks to revise, using the following resources:

    - A final read-through of Kalani's book. If you skip all the exercises, it
    doesn't take that long to read (though I'd recommend re-reading some of the
    exercises too, as some of them contain information not mentioned in the rest
    of the text!).

    - MSDN (http://msdn.microsoft.com). Whatever study guide you use, there's no
    substitute for reading the details straight from the horse's mouth, as it
    were. Kalani's book taught me the concepts, but MSDN has all the nitty
    gritty of the methods and properties that the classes use; although I don't
    think you have to learn these by rote, it does help if you know whether a
    given method/property/directive actually exists!

    - Miscellaneous web sites that came up when searching for "ASP.NET C#" in
    http://www.google.com. This mostly gave me a general understanding of C#,
    which is good background, though not vital material for the exam itself.

    - Some tips and suggestions found when searching for "70-315" in
    Google Groups (http://groups.google.com). In fact, as I said at the
    beginning of this post, just reading about people who had passed the exam
    gave me great hope! :)

    I also did as much poking around Visual Studio .NET as I could whenever a
    question in a practice exam or a code sample in MSDN made me want to see
    something for myself. But Kalani's book is really excellent in this regard,
    as his exercises give you plenty of productive poking around to really learn
    that environment.

    Anyway, I hope that was useful to anyone who is planning to take this exam!

    Emma Burrows

    ---
    Emma Burrows, Feb 11, 2005

  2. Emma Burrows

    Muthukumar.V Guest

    Congratulations Emma!
    Thanks for the great informative post! These kind of posts serve as a good
    guide for guys who prepare like me.

    Thanks
    Muthu

    Muthukumar.V, Feb 13, 2005

  3. Emma Burrows

    Chander Guest

    Hi Emma,
    How long did you take to prepare for this exam?
    Well as such I have a brainbench certification for the
    same and am heading towards the Microsoft Certification
    as well
    So I would appreciate if you could give me this small
    input :)

    Cheers

    Chander

    (http://www.grisoft.com).

    03/02/2005

    Chander, Feb 16, 2005
  4. Emma Burrows

    Emma Burrows Guest

    Hello,

    "Chander" <> wrote in message
    > How long did you take to prepare for this exam?

    I must admit I took my time. I first read the Microsoft self-study guide
    early last year, when I was still working, but I didn't have time to study,
    so I didn't do much for a few months. However, I decided last November that
    I'd have another go since I'm currently not working. I slowly read through
    the Microsoft guide again, and realised that it wasn't going to get me
    through the exam, so I did some research on this newsgroup and ordered Amit
    Kalani's Que book.

    I got the book in mid-December and this is when I started studying in
    earnest. I started off slowly because of the holiday period, but I worked my
    way through it at the rate of a couple of hours a day in January. Then I
    gave myself two weeks for revisions, intensive MSDN reading, and any
    practice exams I could find before actually sitting the exam last Friday. I
    really felt ready for the exam as soon as I'd finished the book, though.
    I'll probably try the same technique for 70-316, which I intend to take
    next, though I'm not sure how easy it'll be to study when I have a new baby
    to look after!

    I hope that helps!

    Emma Burrows

    ---
    Emma Burrows, Feb 16, 2005
  5. Emma Burrows

    Chander Guest

    Thanks Very Much

    Cheers

    Chander

    Chander, Feb 17, 2005
  6. Emma Burrows

    RAMESH Guest

    Hi Emma,
    CONGRATULATIONS....

    I would also like to attend the "DEVELOPING WEB
    APPLICATIONS USING C#.NET AND VISUAL STUDIO.NET (EXAM#70-
    315)"

    you said Amit Kalani's Que book ahs helped you more.
    can you pls reply with the complete details (like book
    heading&author...etc) of Amit Kalani's Que book.

    03/02/2005

    RAMESH, Feb 17, 2005
  7. Emma Burrows

    Emma Burrows Guest

    "RAMESH" <> wrote in message
    > you said Amit Kalani's Que book ahs helped you more.
    > can you pls reply with the complete details (like book
    > heading&author...etc) of Amit Kalani's Que book.

    The full title is "MCAD/MCSD Training Guide (70-315): Developing and
    Implementing Web Applications with Visual C# and Visual Studio.NET" by Amit
    Kalani, published by Que. You can see its full details on Amazon's US web
    site here: http://tinyurl.com/4rhh7. Click on the title and you'll get all
    the other details of the book.

    Emma Burrows

    ---