Passed 70-315- Kalani tips inside

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by GS, Dec 2, 2003.

  1. GS

    GS Guest

    Hi all,

    Just passed 70-315 today and I'm ecstatic :)

    Thanks for all your help everyone!

    I studied everything in a short timespan so here's my
    strategy in case anyone wants to try the same stunt.

    Text Book:
    Amit Kalani's book is awesome! I read it back to back and
    did about 85-90% of the examples. Even the examples that
    I skipped I made sure I read through them and knew what
    was going on. I answered all the questions at the end of
    each chapter and noted down which ones I got wrong.
    One thing with the book being so thick is that I forgot
    some of the early chapters by the time I got to the end :)

    Assessment:
    I used Measure Up's questions on their site. Excellent
    questions and give you a good feel for what the exam is
    like so that you know what kind of thing to concentrate
    on. More importantly, you will know if you are ready for
    the test :)

    Review:
    Identified all the trouble spots I was having, and went
    back and re-read the particular chapters, this time I
    made notes on things I kept forgetting.
    Re-did some of the guided practice exercises that I had
    forgotten how to do. The author has a good index on his
    site at www.techcontent.com

    Final review:
    The book has an EXCELLENT final review section which
    summarizes all the topics in point form and in the order
    of the exam objectives. I went through each point and
    marked things I could not remember, and re-read the
    sections for that point. This final review chapter helped
    me more than anything because it gave me a good step-by-
    step way to review things.

    Tips I wish people had given me before I started to study
    the book :

    * Don't miss the guided practice exercises in the text
    book - they often show you a few different ways to do
    things you think you already know and this helps a lot.
    * The first time you go through the book, keep notes on
    practical things eg. syntax of commands etc for reviewing
    later. The final review points in the book dont always
    list all the practical aspects of topics.
    * When doing the exercises, play around a with the
    techniques you just learned and experiment. I did a lot
    of playing around with ADO.NET and I got the whole data
    access section right in the test!
    * Do not compromise - when you have identified a gap in
    your knowledge, go through the section and nail it down.
    The exam can be tricky at times so you can't afford to
    miss things.

    All in all I dont think I would have needed measure up if
    I had took a week or two more to review but I was in a
    rush and it did help a lot.

    But I do recommend you get some sample questions and go
    through them to see what the exam is like. It can be a
    little tricky at times.

    Hope this helps. Good luck all!
    GS, Dec 2, 2003

  2. GS

    Ben Guest

    Excellent job!! Was the format of the exam multiple
    choice or the new format: Drag & Drop, Tree, Simulation,
    etc.?

    Ben

    Ben, Dec 2, 2003

  3. GS