    Also any tips on how to study for these exams. I do have the official
    Microsoft book

    Thanks
    David Parkes, Mar 30, 2005

  2. The only way to study is to break out the software and start working with
    it. Install Windows Server 2003 on a box and start hacking around.
    Otherwise, even if you do pass, it will be empty -- you won't really know
    the software.

    --
    Adam Machanic
    SQL Server MVP

    "David Parkes" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Everybody,
    >
    > Just a quick question really. Im studyin towards my MCP in windows server
    > 2003 exam 72-290. The question is as follows on the actual exam what is

    the

    Adam Machanic, Mar 30, 2005

  3. David Parkes

    T-Bone Guest

    "David Parkes" <> wrote
    > Just a quick question really. Im studyin towards my MCP in windows server
    > 2003 exam 72-290. The question is as follows on the actual exam what is

    the
    > pass mark required. On the test cd its like 87% which is a maximum of 5
    > questions wrong out of 45 which bites.

    The pass mark is 700. Before you ask, no it can't be expressed as a
    percentage. Check the microsoft web site to find out why.

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
    T-Bone, Mar 30, 2005
  4. David Parkes

    FYI-Geek101 Guest

    I also recommend the following microsoft press books for
    training.
    Microsoft Press Books About Microsoft Products and
    Technologies at
    NOTE: These press books can be acquired cheaper at
    http://www.ebay.com.

    An excellent compliment to your training is to
    use the free Microsoft Skills Assessments at
    and its always free.

    VERY IMPORTANT:
    Industry use these assessments to measure your skill sets,
    so completing them successfully is in your best interest.

    If you need help, you can also get free detailed Q&A
    support for skills assessments at
    http://disnetinc.com/

    Also:
    To support training get "101 Visual Basic and C# Code
    Samples" at
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/downloads/samples/default.
    aspx

    FYI-Geek101

    FYI-Geek101, Mar 31, 2005
  5. David Parkes

    b@d Guest

    > Just a quick question really. Im studyin towards my MCP in windows server
    > 2003 exam 72-290. The question is as follows on the actual exam what is
    > the pass mark required. On the test cd its like 87% which is a maximum of
    > 5 questions wrong out of 45 which bites.

    I did the 72-290 exam today
    There were 40 questions and 700 was the passing score.
    (so you can have 12 questions wrong aprox)

    my score was 850
    b@d, Mar 31, 2005
  6. David Parkes

    T-Bone Guest

    "b@d" <> wrote
    > I did the 72-290 exam today
    > There were 40 questions and 700 was the passing score.
    > (so you can have 12 questions wrong aprox)

    Congrats on the pass, but the number of questions on the exam can vary. So
    there is no way to say how many right answers are required to pass.

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
    T-Bone, Mar 31, 2005
  7. David Parkes

    JM Guest

    T-Bone wrote:
    > "David Parkes" <> wrote
    >> Just a quick question really. Im studyin towards my MCP in windows
    >> server 2003 exam 72-290. The question is as follows on the actual
    >> exam what is the pass mark required. On the test cd its like 87%
    >> which is a maximum of 5 questions wrong out of 45 which bites.

    > The pass mark is 700. Before you ask, no it can't be expressed as a
    > percentage. Check the microsoft web site to find out why.

    I couldn't see anything on MS's website about this - do you have any more
    info?
    JM, Mar 31, 2005
  8. David Parkes

    T-Bone Guest

    "JM" <> wrote
    > I couldn't see anything on MS's website about this - do you have any more
    > info?

    In the philosophy of teaching a man to fish rather than giving him a fish,
    here is how to find your answer:

    Go to the Microsoft web site and type "exam pass score" without the quote in
    the search box. You'll find your answer in the second link.

    However since I feel you'll probably be back again:

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/faq/procedures.asp

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
    T-Bone, Apr 1, 2005
  9. David Parkes

    JM Guest

    T-Bone wrote:
    > "JM" <> wrote
    >> I couldn't see anything on MS's website about this - do you have any
    >> more info?

    > In the philosophy of teaching a man to fish rather than giving him a
    > fish, here is how to find your answer:
    >
    > Go to the Microsoft web site and type "exam pass score" without the
    > quote in the search box. You'll find your answer in the second link.
    >
    > However since I feel you'll probably be back again:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/faq/procedures.asp

    Should have explained myself better. I knew about the '700 points' (having
    taken and passed 70-229 recently) but that page doesn't say why it can't be
    expressed as a percentage (taking into account the maximum score of course).

    So 700/1000 should still be considered 70%, and 900/1200 as 75%. If not
    then why not?

    John.
    JM, Apr 2, 2005
  10. David Parkes

    T-Bone Guest

    "JM" <> wrote
    > Should have explained myself better. I knew about the '700 points'

    (having
    > taken and passed 70-229 recently) but that page doesn't say why it can't

    be
    > expressed as a percentage (taking into account the maximum score of

    course).

    As it explains on that page, the number of questions on the exam varies
    based on the complexity of the questions it selects for you. So the total
    number of points on the exam is variable.

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
    T-Bone, Apr 4, 2005