    __________ Informatie van ESET NOD32 Antivirus, versie van database viruskenmerken 4667 (20091207) __________

    Het bericht is gecontroleerd door ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

    http://www.eset.com

    Peter Rubens, Dec 7, 2009

  2. Peter Rubens

    Tom Orle Guest

    "Peter Rubens" <> wrote:

    >As I like to make an other partion for a 2nd OS , surely I can decrease the
    >c: partion of Windows 7?
    >So what is the minimum size for that partition?
    >regards

    I prefer to keep only OS related stuff on the C partition and load
    apps on D and E.
    Maintenance is much easier that way - backups are smaller and quicker
    so are restores if need be. Defrags are also quicker. And if you do
    need to restore the OS because it got messed up, any data saved on D
    since the last backup will still be there.
    I've beein doing it this way ever since Win98 and it saved my butt
    many times as I like to tweak the OS's a lot ;-) ( I also use ERUNT to
    back up registry between partition backups - these backups also get
    put on the D drive for safekeeping.)

    On my 500GB drive I allocated 80GB for XP, 180 for D, 160 for E and 80
    for F, my Win7 partition.

    For what it's worth - I sucessfully backed up and restored the Win7
    partition F while booted into XP - now I don't have to buy a W7
    compatible backup program (I use Acronis' True Image)

    Just my 5 cents worth ...

    -=tom=-

    -=tom=-

    Tom Orle, Dec 7, 2009

  3. Peter Rubens

    Alsenor Guest

    Tom, this sounds like a very prudent way to manage the HD, and I would like
    to do that as well.
    What app do you use for your partitioning work?

    Alsenor, Dec 8, 2009
  4. Peter Rubens

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Alsenor.

    I agree with Tom - and take it one step further. For the past 7 years or
    so, I've formatted each of my HDDs with a single small primary partition and
    put the rest of each disk into an extended partition, which I divide into
    multiple logical drives. Each Windows installation goes into its own
    logical drive; other logical drives are for Data, Downloads, Photos, etc.
    Each data volume is fully accessible from each OS. And each OS's boot
    volume is fully accessible from any of the other OSes. But any OS's boot
    volume can be reformatted or deleted without affecting other Windows
    installations or my data volumes - or the System Partition.

    Don't put ANY operating system into the System Partition. Just the startup
    files. For Win2K and WinXP, those are just NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM and
    Boot.ini. For Vista and Win7, they are only bootmgr and the \Boot folder,
    which holds the BCD. All these files and folders total much less than 20
    MB, so even a 1 GB System Partition is generous. And even when
    multi-booting a dozen beta installations, these few system files do not grow
    by more than a few dozen bytes. Win7, when installed on a virgin HDD,
    creates a new hidden System Reserved Partition that is only 100 MB and does
    not assign it a drive letter. (I haven't yet installed Win7 that way, but
    my method does practically the same thing.)

    No matter which volume on which disk holds which Windows installation, the
    boot process ALWAYS starts in the System Partition and then branches to the
    volume that holds the Windows that we choose to run THIS session. So, if we
    install Win7 into the 3rd partition (2nd logical drive) on Disk 1 and if
    Setup assigns that volume the letter W:, when we restart, the boot process
    will start in the System Partition (no matter what letter it uses) and then,
    when we choose to boot "Win7 (W:)", the boot manager will find Win7 on W:
    and load the operating system from there. From then on, for the rest of the
    current session, %SystemRoot% will be W:\Windows.

    > What app do you use for your partitioning work?

    The best part may be that NO software is required for this except what has
    been built into every Windows since Win2K. Disk Management is the tool to
    use to manage HDDs, optical drives, thumb drives, SD cards - and just about
    anything else that can be assigned a "drive" letter. It can create
    partitions, format them, shrink them and delete them. I've also used good
    old Xcopy.exe to move entire operating systems from one volume to another
    and still be able to run them from their new location. (But don't try to
    Xcopy the OS that is currently running; boot into Win7 to move WinXP, or
    boot into Win7 on X: to move Win7 on Y:, for example.)

    Just remember: We BOOT from the SYSTEM volume and keep the operating SYSTEM
    files in the BOOT volume (KB 314470)! A "volume" can be either a primary
    partition or a logical drive, except for the System volume, which must be
    the Active primary partition on the boot disk.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Dec 9, 2009
  5. Peter Rubens

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    There's no need for an external app in windows 7.
    Right click on your computer icon, choose manage, storage, disk management.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 10, 2009
  6. Peter Rubens

    Tom Orle Guest

    "Alsenor" wrote:

    > Tom, this sounds like a very prudent way to manage the HD, and I would like
    > to do that as well.
    > What app do you use for your partitioning work?

    I did the resizing of the existing partions and adding the new
    partition in Win XP using Partition Magic 8.0.

    -=tom=-

    Tom Orle, Dec 10, 2009