    the letter C, and leave us with only 23 letters and therefore 23
    logical drives?

    Thx, Andrew
    Andrew, May 22, 2005

  2. Andrew

    Adam Leinss Guest

    -spam.invalid (Andrew) wrote in
    news:42902bb0$:

    > Hello everyone:
    >
    > I have a question about partitions.
    >
    > In Meyers' All-In-One A+ Certification book, he writes:
    >
    > "In Windows 9x/Me and NT/2000/XP, the primary partition is C:, and
    > that cannot be changed.” Page 397
    >
    > "An extended partition may have as many logical drives as you wish
    > (limited to the letters of the alphabet on Windows 9x systems)
    > enabling a maximum of 24 logical drives on one system (A: and B: are
    > reserved for floppy drives)." Page 401
    >
    > How can we have 24 logical drives?? Doesn’t the primary drive take
    > the letter C, and leave us with only 23 letters and therefore 23
    > logical drives?

    You are correct.

    Rumor has it that drive letters are going away in Longhorn. Should be
    interesting!

    Adam
    Adam Leinss, May 22, 2005

  3. On Sun, 22 May 2005 20:28:11 GMT, Adam Leinss <>
    wrote:

    >-spam.invalid (Andrew) wrote in
    >
    >> Hello everyone:
    >>
    >> I have a question about partitions.
    >>
    >> In Meyers' All-In-One A+ Certification book, he writes:
    >>
    >> "In Windows 9x/Me and NT/2000/XP, the primary partition is C:, and
    >> that cannot be changed.†Page 397
    >>
    >> "An extended partition may have as many logical drives as you wish
    >> (limited to the letters of the alphabet on Windows 9x systems)
    >> enabling a maximum of 24 logical drives on one system (A: and B: are
    >> reserved for floppy drives)." Page 401
    >>
    >> How can we have 24 logical drives?? Doesn’t the primary drive take
    >> the letter C, and leave us with only 23 letters and therefore 23
    >> logical drives?

    >You are correct.
    >
    >Rumor has it that drive letters are going away in Longhorn. Should be
    >interesting!
    >
    >Adam

    I am somewhat surprised that an AA, AB, etc., scheme has never
    surfaced.

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, May 23, 2005
  4. Andrew

    A Guest

    Yes.

    A, May 28, 2005
  5. On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 19:20:37 GMT, "Jerome Stanek" <>
    wrote:

    >If that is true then why don't I have a C: drive on my desktop running Win
    >XP Pro. My hard drive is listed as D: I have an A:drive and the cd roms
    >are E: and F: no C: listed.

    You can name a drive shortcut on the desktop whatever you want it to
    be?

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jun 3, 2005
  6. Andrew

    bopper2 Guest

    > Jerome Stanekwrote:
    If that is true then why don't I have a C: drive on my desktop
    running Win
    > XP Pro. My hard drive is listed as D: I have an A:drive and the cd

    roms
    > are E: and F: no C: listed.
    > "Andrew" <-spam.invalid> wrote

    in message
    > Hello everyone:
    >
    > I have a question about partitions.
    >
    > In Meyers' All-In-One A+ Certification book, he writes:
    >
    > "In Windows 9x/Me and NT/2000/XP, the primary partition is C:, and
    > that cannot be changed.” Page 397
    >
    > "An extended partition may have as many logical drives as you wish
    > (limited to the letters of the alphabet on Windows 9x systems)
    > enabling a maximum of 24 logical drives on one system (A: and B:

    are
    > reserved for floppy drives)." Page 401
    >
    > How can we have 24 logical drives?? Doesn’t the primary drive

    take
    > the letter C, and leave us with only 23 letters and therefore 23
    > logical drives?
    >
    > Thx, Andrew
    > [/quote:4455547d19]

    Primary sys is always primary not logical. Therefore the previously
    stated 23 logical drives applies now matter what drive letter is
    assigned.
    Assuming 9x isn't used. Bootable drives as logical are different
    issues
    in a dual boot scenario.
    bopper2, Jun 4, 2005