partitions

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?anVsZXM2Ng==?=, Jan 31, 2006.

  1. do i have to delet the factory partition in order to install a clean
    installation of x64??
     
    =?Utf-8?B?anVsZXM2Ng==?=, Jan 31, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. =?Utf-8?B?anVsZXM2Ng==?=

    churin Guest

    Unless there is unused partition area in the physical drive, you have to
    delete an existing partition to make room for a clean install.

    Alternatively, if your present partition is large enough to be reduced
    by 10GB or more, you can do so by using a hard drive utility as
    Partition Magic, then make a clean install in an unallocated partition
    space created as above.

    jules66 wrote:
    > do i have to delet the factory partition in order to install a clean
    > installation of x64??
     
    churin, Jan 31, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. so i have to delet my factory partition to clean install x64 even thou i
    already have alot of unused partition space. i made a back up recovery cd so
    if i did'nt like x64 i can reinstall my factory backup cd?

    "churin" wrote:

    > Unless there is unused partition area in the physical drive, you have to
    > delete an existing partition to make room for a clean install.
    >
    > Alternatively, if your present partition is large enough to be reduced
    > by 10GB or more, you can do so by using a hard drive utility as
    > Partition Magic, then make a clean install in an unallocated partition
    > space created as above.
    >
    > jules66 wrote:
    > > do i have to delet the factory partition in order to install a clean
    > > installation of x64??

    >
     
    =?Utf-8?B?anVsZXM2Ng==?=, Jan 31, 2006
    #3
  4. =?Utf-8?B?anVsZXM2Ng==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    If you have the space to add an additional partition, you can do that and
    leave your old system. You just need to have a cleanly reformatted
    partition in order to do your clean install. Many here dual boot.

    "jules66" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > so i have to delet my factory partition to clean install x64 even thou i
    > already have alot of unused partition space. i made a back up recovery cd
    > so
    > if i did'nt like x64 i can reinstall my factory backup cd?
    >
    > "churin" wrote:
    >
    >> Unless there is unused partition area in the physical drive, you have to
    >> delete an existing partition to make room for a clean install.
    >>
    >> Alternatively, if your present partition is large enough to be reduced
    >> by 10GB or more, you can do so by using a hard drive utility as
    >> Partition Magic, then make a clean install in an unallocated partition
    >> space created as above.
    >>
    >> jules66 wrote:
    >> > do i have to delet the factory partition in order to install a clean
    >> > installation of x64??

    >>
     
    John Barnes, Jan 31, 2006
    #4
  5. thanks for all the info gentlemen. glenn.

    "John Barnes" wrote:

    > If you have the space to add an additional partition, you can do that and
    > leave your old system. You just need to have a cleanly reformatted
    > partition in order to do your clean install. Many here dual boot.
    >
    > "jules66" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > so i have to delet my factory partition to clean install x64 even thou i
    > > already have alot of unused partition space. i made a back up recovery cd
    > > so
    > > if i did'nt like x64 i can reinstall my factory backup cd?
    > >
    > > "churin" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Unless there is unused partition area in the physical drive, you have to
    > >> delete an existing partition to make room for a clean install.
    > >>
    > >> Alternatively, if your present partition is large enough to be reduced
    > >> by 10GB or more, you can do so by using a hard drive utility as
    > >> Partition Magic, then make a clean install in an unallocated partition
    > >> space created as above.
    > >>
    > >> jules66 wrote:
    > >> > do i have to delet the factory partition in order to install a clean
    > >> > installation of x64??
    > >>

    >
    >
    >
     
    =?Utf-8?B?anVsZXM2Ng==?=, Jan 31, 2006
    #5
  6. Doesn't it sound as one partition with lots of space, though? Is this the
    case, you have to get third party software to re-size the partition. If you
    have a Linux Cover Disk, you can make the re-sizing from the installation,
    then abort the installation if you don't want to have it around. This is
    more work, but a more flexible solution, as it let's you dual-boot as John
    suggests.

    Tony. . .


    "John Barnes" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > If you have the space to add an additional partition, you can do that and
    > leave your old system. You just need to have a cleanly reformatted
    > partition in order to do your clean install. Many here dual boot.
    >
    > "jules66" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> so i have to delet my factory partition to clean install x64 even thou i
    >> already have alot of unused partition space. i made a back up recovery cd
    >> so
    >> if i did'nt like x64 i can reinstall my factory backup cd?
    >>
    >> "churin" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Unless there is unused partition area in the physical drive, you have to
    >>> delete an existing partition to make room for a clean install.
    >>>
    >>> Alternatively, if your present partition is large enough to be reduced
    >>> by 10GB or more, you can do so by using a hard drive utility as
    >>> Partition Magic, then make a clean install in an unallocated partition
    >>> space created as above.
    >>>
    >>> jules66 wrote:
    >>> > do i have to delet the factory partition in order to install a clean
    >>> > installation of x64??
    >>>

    >
    >
     
    Tony Sperling, Jan 31, 2006
    #6
  7. =?Utf-8?B?anVsZXM2Ng==?=

    Boskey Guest

    Are you talking about the normal boot partition or the hidden system restore
    partition which is common to Dells, Gateways, Compaq, and others? I
    wouldn't think it necessary to delete these restore partitions, particularly
    since they are not active partitions, their hidden, and you don't normally
    boot to them anyway. I should think that formatting your current boot
    partition and installing Win XP64 in this circumstance would be a clean
    install. This would allow you to do a system restore should you find XP64
    not to your liking. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

    "jules66" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > so i have to delet my factory partition to clean install x64 even thou i
    > already have alot of unused partition space. i made a back up recovery cd
    > so
    > if i did'nt like x64 i can reinstall my factory backup cd?
    >
    > "churin" wrote:
    >
    >> Unless there is unused partition area in the physical drive, you have to
    >> delete an existing partition to make room for a clean install.
    >>
    >> Alternatively, if your present partition is large enough to be reduced
    >> by 10GB or more, you can do so by using a hard drive utility as
    >> Partition Magic, then make a clean install in an unallocated partition
    >> space created as above.
    >>
    >> jules66 wrote:
    >> > do i have to delet the factory partition in order to install a clean
    >> > installation of x64??

    >>
     
    Boskey, Jan 31, 2006
    #7
  8. hidden system restore partition boskey.

    "Boskey" wrote:

    > Are you talking about the normal boot partition or the hidden system restore
    > partition which is common to Dells, Gateways, Compaq, and others? I
    > wouldn't think it necessary to delete these restore partitions, particularly
    > since they are not active partitions, their hidden, and you don't normally
    > boot to them anyway. I should think that formatting your current boot
    > partition and installing Win XP64 in this circumstance would be a clean
    > install. This would allow you to do a system restore should you find XP64
    > not to your liking. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
    >
    > "jules66" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > so i have to delet my factory partition to clean install x64 even thou i
    > > already have alot of unused partition space. i made a back up recovery cd
    > > so
    > > if i did'nt like x64 i can reinstall my factory backup cd?
    > >
    > > "churin" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Unless there is unused partition area in the physical drive, you have to
    > >> delete an existing partition to make room for a clean install.
    > >>
    > >> Alternatively, if your present partition is large enough to be reduced
    > >> by 10GB or more, you can do so by using a hard drive utility as
    > >> Partition Magic, then make a clean install in an unallocated partition
    > >> space created as above.
    > >>
    > >> jules66 wrote:
    > >> > do i have to delet the factory partition in order to install a clean
    > >> > installation of x64??
    > >>

    >
    >
    >
     
    =?Utf-8?B?anVsZXM2Ng==?=, Jan 31, 2006
    #8
  9. =?Utf-8?B?anVsZXM2Ng==?=

    churin Guest

    Do not cut the bridge by deleting the system restore partition so that
    you can come back to WXP x86 if you want in the future. Just delete or
    format the partition where WXP x86 presently resides and install WXP x64
    there.

    jules66 wrote:
    > hidden system restore partition boskey.
    >
    > "Boskey" wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Are you talking about the normal boot partition or the hidden system restore
    >>partition which is common to Dells, Gateways, Compaq, and others? I
    >>wouldn't think it necessary to delete these restore partitions, particularly
    >>since they are not active partitions, their hidden, and you don't normally
    >>boot to them anyway. I should think that formatting your current boot
    >>partition and installing Win XP64 in this circumstance would be a clean
    >>install. This would allow you to do a system restore should you find XP64
    >>not to your liking. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
    >>
    >>"jules66" <> wrote in message
    >>news:...
    >>
    >>>so i have to delet my factory partition to clean install x64 even thou i
    >>>already have alot of unused partition space. i made a back up recovery cd
    >>>so
    >>>if i did'nt like x64 i can reinstall my factory backup cd?
    >>>
    >>>"churin" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Unless there is unused partition area in the physical drive, you have to
    >>>> delete an existing partition to make room for a clean install.
    >>>>
    >>>>Alternatively, if your present partition is large enough to be reduced
    >>>>by 10GB or more, you can do so by using a hard drive utility as
    >>>>Partition Magic, then make a clean install in an unallocated partition
    >>>>space created as above.
    >>>>
    >>>>jules66 wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>do i have to delet the factory partition in order to install a clean
    >>>>>installation of x64??
    >>>>

    >>
    >>
     
    churin, Jan 31, 2006
    #9
  10. =?Utf-8?B?anVsZXM2Ng==?=

    Boskey Guest

    Yes Jules, a hidden restore partition. A quick check of my fathers Dell
    shows two partitions, one not accessible normally unless he needs to do a
    system restore - placing all the drivers, junk programs, all back to the
    original as shipped condition. http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/ How
    would you like your crow served?


    "jules66" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > hidden system restore partition boskey.
    >
     
    Boskey, Feb 1, 2006
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?VGFubmVyIEYu?=

    Partitions (system recovery)

    =?Utf-8?B?VGFubmVyIEYu?=, Apr 18, 2004, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    447
    =?Utf-8?B?VGFubmVyIEYu?=
    Apr 18, 2004
  2. Rick

    OT Resizing partitions

    Rick, Sep 29, 2003, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    412
  3. mharris
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    481
    =?Utf-8?B?TWFya28=?=
    Feb 8, 2004
  4. GC

    Partitions

    GC, Jul 16, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    598
  5. Jack

    Hard Drive Partitions

    Jack, Jul 21, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    499
    philo
    Jul 22, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page