    installed in c together with the OS? Do they work ok if installed in another
    partition?
    Many thanks

    Molecule, Feb 17, 2005

  2. Molecule

    PJB Guest

    "Molecule" <> wrote in message
    news:HC7Rd.117275$...
    > I always partition my hdd ( os and docs ), but read in a few newsgroup

    that
    > people dedicate a partition for programs. Thought all programs need to be
    > installed in c together with the OS? Do they work ok if installed in

    another
    > partition?
    > Many thanks

    it all depends on your own feelings. I've done as suggested, in the past,
    but since you usually have to re-install progs after the os, it didn't make
    sense to have them on different partitions.
    Some progs do use C for their temp storage, early versions of Office did
    that, mostly nowadays they will install where you tell them to ;-)
    One thing I do do though, I have a small partition at the end of the drive,
    for the swapfile.

    P.

    PJB, Feb 17, 2005

  3. Molecule

    jda^fx Guest

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:01:27 GMT, "Molecule" <> wrote:

    >I always partition my hdd ( os and docs ), but read in a few newsgroup that
    >people dedicate a partition for programs. Thought all programs need to be
    >installed in c together with the OS? Do they work ok if installed in another
    >partition?
    >Many thanks

    Wether you wan't programs and os on different partitions or not is a
    matter of taste. Most important is it to keep data seperate. Some says
    that to many partitions on the same disk tends to slow things down,
    and I don't see the big thing about doing it. But it works fine

    --
    jda^fx

    jda^fx, Feb 17, 2005
  4. Molecule

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "jda^fx" <> wrote in message
    | On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:01:27 GMT, "Molecule" <> wrote:
    |
    | >I always partition my hdd ( os and docs ), but read in a few newsgroup
    that
    | >people dedicate a partition for programs. Thought all programs need to be
    | >installed in c together with the OS? Do they work ok if installed in
    another
    | >partition?
    | >Many thanks
    | >
    | Wether you wan't programs and os on different partitions or not is a
    | matter of taste. Most important is it to keep data seperate. Some says
    | that to many partitions on the same disk tends to slow things down,
    | and I don't see the big thing about doing it. But it works fine

    Definately only a matter of preference if they are running Windows. Programs
    (most of them) will not run correctly if Windows is erased/reinstalled, and
    will have to be reinstalled as well. So IMO, the only advantage might be for
    some of the poorly written programs which keep their data/settings in the
    same location as the program itself.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 18, 2005
  5. Molecule

    niceguy Guest

    yes

    niceguy, Feb 18, 2005
  6. Molecule

    Plato Guest

    Molecule wrote:

    > I always partition my hdd ( os and docs ), but read in a few newsgroup that
    > people dedicate a partition for programs. Thought all programs need to be
    > installed in c together with the OS? Do they work ok if installed in another
    > partition?

    Yes. They dont have to be on C:

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Feb 18, 2005
  7. On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:09:58 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >"jda^fx" <> wrote in message
    >| On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:01:27 GMT, "Molecule" <> wrote:
    >|
    >| >I always partition my hdd ( os and docs ), but read in a few newsgroup
    >that
    >| >people dedicate a partition for programs. Thought all programs need to be
    >| >installed in c together with the OS? Do they work ok if installed in
    >another
    >| >partition?
    >| >Many thanks
    >| >
    >| Wether you wan't programs and os on different partitions or not is a
    >| matter of taste. Most important is it to keep data seperate. Some says
    >| that to many partitions on the same disk tends to slow things down,
    >| and I don't see the big thing about doing it. But it works fine
    >|
    >Definately only a matter of preference if they are running Windows. Programs
    >(most of them) will not run correctly if Windows is erased/reinstalled, and
    >will have to be reinstalled as well. So IMO, the only advantage might be for
    >some of the poorly written programs which keep their data/settings in the
    >same location as the program itself.

    Boo, Hiss,
    "poorly written programs which keep their data/settings in the same
    location as the program itself."
    I really love my Newsreader and eMail program because it is all in one
    place. Just burn the folder to CD, take to another machine, copy folder,
    make shortcut to .exc and I have everything ready to go.
    Boo, Hiss <g>

    Star@*.*.invalid, Feb 19, 2005
  8. Molecule

    Toolman Tim Guest

    <Star@*.*.invalid> wrote in message
    | On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:09:58 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    | <> wrote:
    |

    | >"jda^fx" <> wrote in message
    | >| On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:01:27 GMT, "Molecule" <> wrote:
    | >|
    | >that
    | >another
    | >| >
    | >| Wether you wan't programs and os on different partitions or not is a
    | >| matter of taste. Most important is it to keep data seperate. Some says
    | >| that to many partitions on the same disk tends to slow things down,
    | >| and I don't see the big thing about doing it. But it works fine
    | >|
    | >Definately only a matter of preference if they are running Windows.
    Programs
    | >(most of them) will not run correctly if Windows is erased/reinstalled,
    and
    | >will have to be reinstalled as well. So IMO, the only advantage might be
    for
    | >some of the poorly written programs which keep their data/settings in the
    | >same location as the program itself.
    | >

    | Boo, Hiss,
    | "poorly written programs which keep their data/settings in the same
    | location as the program itself."
    | I really love my Newsreader and eMail program because it is all in one
    | place. Just burn the folder to CD, take to another machine, copy folder,
    | make shortcut to .exc and I have everything ready to go.
    | Boo, Hiss <g>

    My chief complaint is using my backup software, and having to search the C:
    drive for data that should be on the D: drive. Yes, I know where the files
    are, but teaching that to the (to put it politely) "older" people I do
    support for is nearly impossible. While I try to set up all their programs
    to write data to the data partition, then they only need to backup the one
    location. But idiotic things (like the WAB) have to be tracked down and
    added to the list manually. And so would data from any other 'rogue'
    programs (older versions of Webshots, for example).

    Toolman Tim, Feb 19, 2005