    page file. If anyone has experiance using diskpart in the windows
    command prompt, please make a suggestion as to why this is not working
    for me. I will be very greatful!
    Scoresby, Nov 11, 2006

  2. Scoresby

    old man Guest

    I believe the command only works on Dynamic disks, not basic disks

    old man, Nov 11, 2006

  3. Scoresby

    Scoresby Guest

    Scoresby, Nov 11, 2006
  4. Scoresby

    old man Guest

    read the Note after (5)

    old man, Nov 11, 2006
  5. Scoresby

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 15:41:04 GMT, old man wrote:

    >read the Note after (5)

    You mean the twisted note after (5), not many people will remember what
    order it as changed / if it was an upgrade or not.

    >"Scoresby" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> old man wrote:
    >> > I believe the command only works on Dynamic disks, not basic disks

    >> Not according to http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325590

    Me
    why?, Nov 11, 2006
  6. Scoresby

    why? Guest

    On 11 Nov 2006 04:00:50 -0800, Scoresby wrote:

    >Upon trying to extend a partition with diskpart and command prompt, I
    >receive the message "Diskpart failed to extend the volume. Please make
    >sure the volume is valid for extending."

    If asking a question like this, you may want to mention basic / dynamic
    disk layouts, that you have shrunk or moved the PF to a single
    partition. Those sort of odd items or 2 might help.

    >MS says you need to move the page file to extend a partition. However,
    >I cannot extend any partition on my hard disk, even the ones without a
    >page file. If anyone has experiance using diskpart in the windows
    >command prompt, please make a suggestion as to why this is not working
    >for me. I will be very greatful!

    Nope, however IIRC many folks have used the live CD boots of several
    Linux distributions and the partition sizing tools. Have a search at
    www.google.com and past posts from
    http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?group=24hoursupport.helpdesk

    Remember to check for any basic / dynamic issues.

    Me
    why?, Nov 11, 2006
  7. Scoresby

    Scoresby Guest

    why? wrote:
    > On 11 Nov 2006 04:00:50 -0800, Scoresby wrote:
    >
    > >Upon trying to extend a partition with diskpart and command prompt, I
    > >receive the message "Diskpart failed to extend the volume. Please make
    > >sure the volume is valid for extending."

    > If asking a question like this, you may want to mention basic / dynamic
    > disk layouts, that you have shrunk or moved the PF to a single
    > partition. Those sort of odd items or 2 might help.

    Basic Disk. NTFS (of course).

    I understand there are basic and dynamic disks but what is a simple
    disk? Anyone know what the default disk 'type' PC manufacturers send
    out with a new computer?

    > >MS says you need to move the page file to extend a partition. However,
    > >I cannot extend any partition on my hard disk, even the ones without a
    > >page file. If anyone has experiance using diskpart in the windows
    > >command prompt, please make a suggestion as to why this is not working
    > >for me. I will be very greatful!

    > Nope, however IIRC many folks have used the live CD boots of several
    > Linux distributions and the partition sizing tools. Have a search at
    > www.google.com and past posts from
    > http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?group=24hoursupport.helpdesk

    If you start talking to me about linux I will glaze over.

    My problem likely rests with where MS say "this limitation was removed
    in Windows Server 2003". Since, this computer orginally had 2 OS inc.
    Win. 2003. Hence my odd HDD configuration and the pain in the butt.

    I would boot up 2003 again but I don't have it! If only there was a way
    to bypass the XP "limitation".
    Scoresby, Nov 11, 2006
  8. Howdy!

    "Scoresby" <> wrote in message
    > Upon trying to extend a partition with diskpart and command prompt, I
    > receive the message "Diskpart failed to extend the volume. Please make
    > sure the volume is valid for extending."
    >
    > MS says you need to move the page file to extend a partition. However,
    > I cannot extend any partition on my hard disk, even the ones without a
    > page file. If anyone has experiance using diskpart in the windows
    > command prompt, please make a suggestion as to why this is not working
    > for me. I will be very greatful!

    Go to http://www.bootitng.com and download the trial for BootItNG -
    aka "BING").

    Use it to resize your partition.

    Problem solved.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Nov 12, 2006
  9. Scoresby

    why? Guest

    On 11 Nov 2006 14:42:20 -0800, Scoresby wrote:

    >why? wrote:
    >> On 11 Nov 2006 04:00:50 -0800, Scoresby wrote:
    >>
    >> >Upon trying to extend a partition with diskpart and command prompt, I
    >> >receive the message "Diskpart failed to extend the volume. Please make
    >> >sure the volume is valid for extending."

    >> If asking a question like this, you may want to mention basic / dynamic
    >> disk layouts, that you have shrunk or moved the PF to a single
    >> partition. Those sort of odd items or 2 might help.

    >Basic Disk. NTFS (of course).
    >
    >I understand there are basic and dynamic disks but what is a simple
    >disk? Anyone know what the default disk 'type' PC manufacturers send
    >out with a new computer?
    >
    >> >MS says you need to move the page file to extend a partition. However,
    >> >I cannot extend any partition on my hard disk, even the ones without a
    >> >page file. If anyone has experiance using diskpart in the windows
    >> >command prompt, please make a suggestion as to why this is not working
    >> >for me. I will be very greatful!

    >> Nope, however IIRC many folks have used the live CD boots of several
    >> Linux distributions and the partition sizing tools. Have a search at
    >> www.google.com and past posts from
    >> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?group=24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >>

    >If you start talking to me about linux I will glaze over.

    Well if you read the notes and from what I recall in old posts, once you
    have the d/l burn and boot it , Koppix comes to mind, you run the
    partition editor and that's it. IIRC it's been mentioned as similar to
    Partition Magic.

    If other Win users have managed you can as well.

    Linux Journal |
    The procedure seems the same as with earlier versions of Windows. ... 1)
    Knoppix includes QtParted, a free software partition editor. ...
    www.linuxjournal.com/article/7528 - 25k - Cached - Similar pages

    Linux.com | A quick look at the GParted live CD
    If so, the GNOME Partition Editor (GParted) is an excellent open source
    tool ... It has been part of the infamous, Knoppix [knopper.net] live CD
    for quite ...
    www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/04/25/1917228

    A quick look at the GParted live CD

    Thursday May 18, 2006 (02:01 PM GMT)

    By: Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier

    Need a way to resize NTFS partitions, mirror disk images, or otherwise
    muck about with disk partitions -- and don't want to use a proprietary
    package like Partition Magic? If so, the GNOME Partition Editor
    (GParted) is an excellent open source tool for the task. The GParted
    team released the GParted live CD version 0.2.4-2 this month, so I
    decided it was a good time to take GParted for a spin.

    >My problem likely rests with where MS say "this limitation was removed
    >in Windows Server 2003". Since, this computer orginally had 2 OS inc.
    >Win. 2003. Hence my odd HDD configuration and the pain in the butt.

    The article implies is the original type / updrade order if any. Only
    you can figure that out.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Nov 12, 2006
  10. Scoresby

    Scoresby Guest

    Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:
    > Howdy!
    >
    > "Scoresby" wrote
    > > Upon trying to extend a partition with diskpart and command prompt, I
    > > receive the message "Diskpart failed to extend the volume. Please make
    > > sure the volume is valid for extending."
    > >
    > > MS says you need to move the page file to extend a partition. However,
    > > I cannot extend any partition on my hard disk, even the ones without a
    > > page file. If anyone has experiance using diskpart in the windows
    > > command prompt, please make a suggestion as to why this is not working
    > > for me. I will be very greatful!

    > Go to http://www.bootitng.com and download the trial for BootItNG -
    > aka "BING").
    >
    > Use it to resize your partition.
    >
    > Problem solved.

    Will it work even though windows XP won't let me resize the partition?

    And - what is the other program it needs to run? The website says I
    need this other program. Can you give me a quick summary of what I need
    to do to get this program to work? Cos at the moment it's looking
    complicated and tiresome.
    Scoresby, Nov 12, 2006
  11. Scoresby

    Top Guest

    "Scoresby" <> wrote in

    >Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:
    >> Howdy!
    >>
    >> "Scoresby" wrote
    >> > Upon trying to extend a partition with diskpart and
    >> > command prompt, I receive the message "Diskpart failed to
    >> > extend the volume. Please make sure the volume is valid
    >> > for extending."
    >> >
    >> > MS says you need to move the page file to extend a
    >> > partition. However, I cannot extend any partition on my
    >> > hard disk, even the ones without a page file. If anyone
    >> > has experiance using diskpart in the windows command
    >> > prompt, please make a suggestion as to why this is not
    >> > working for me. I will be very greatful!

    >> Go to http://www.bootitng.com and download the
    >> trial for BootItNG -
    >> aka "BING").
    >>
    >> Use it to resize your partition.
    >>
    >> Problem solved.

    > Will it work even though windows XP won't let me resize the
    > partition?
    >
    > And - what is the other program it needs to run? The website
    > says I need this other program. Can you give me a quick
    > summary of what I need to do to get this program to work?
    > Cos at the moment it's looking complicated and tiresome.

    You've been given good advice. Now for some more, do some
    research using google. You'll enjoy the mental exercise, it'll
    be good for you.

    Top
    Top, Nov 13, 2006
  12. Scoresby

    Scoresby Guest

    Top wrote:
    > "Scoresby" wrote
    >

    > >Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:
    > >> Howdy!
    > >>
    > >> "Scoresby" wrote

    > >> Go to http://www.bootitng.com and download the
    > >> trial for BootItNG -
    > >> aka "BING").
    > >>
    > >> Use it to resize your partition.
    > >>
    > >> Problem solved.

    > > Will it work even though windows XP won't let me resize the
    > > partition?
    > >
    > > And - what is the other program it needs to run? The website
    > > says I need this other program. Can you give me a quick
    > > summary of what I need to do to get this program to work?
    > > Cos at the moment it's looking complicated and tiresome.
    > >

    > Now for some more, do some
    > research using google. You'll enjoy the mental exercise, it'll
    > be good for you.

    No I won't. I'm depressed and it hurts my head.
    Scoresby, Nov 13, 2006