PartitionMagic-PQ Boot

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Trax, Jan 4, 2004.

  1. Trax

    Trax Guest

    On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 19:46:33 -0500, "Morse" <>
    wrote:

    |>On a dual boot machine (linux &windows98) I went to Partion Magic's (version
    |>5) PQ Boot application where you can set the numeral # 1 for windows boot or
    |>2 for linux boot (or maybe it was the other way ?).
    |>
    |>I set the boot for windows.
    |>
    |>On restarting, the screen says:
    |>" Starting Windows 98.......
    |>Type the name of the Command Interpreter,"
    |>and the A: prompt is flashing
    |>
    |>So I type C:WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
    |>
    |>but it doesn't work!

    add in your autoexec.bat:
    set COMSPEC=C:WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
    see if that works
    --
    ,,
    ( "> w "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life

    Trax, Jan 4, 2004

  2. Trax

    Morse Guest

    On a dual boot machine (linux &windows98) I went to Partion Magic's (version
    5) PQ Boot application where you can set the numeral # 1 for windows boot or
    2 for linux boot (or maybe it was the other way ?).

    I set the boot for windows.

    On restarting, the screen says:
    " Starting Windows 98.......
    Type the name of the Command Interpreter,"
    and the A: prompt is flashing

    So I type C:WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM

    but it doesn't work!

    Is this the correct command interpreter - or can you tell me what to enter
    here ?

    The only other thing I can think of is that the C: drive is in fact named
    something else - it's an IBM machine and I think it was called something
    with IBM in it but I cant get back in there to confirm that.

    Morse, Jan 5, 2004

  3. Trax

    Morse Guest

    What does IBM call C: ?

    it's an older IBMPC 300PL /GL (sometimes called)

    anyidea what they "personalize" the c: drive name to be ?

    --
    Chief Inspector Morse & Sgt. Lewis

    Morse, Jan 5, 2004
  4. Trax

    Dan Glybitz Guest

    "Morse" <> wrote in message
    > On a dual boot machine (linux &windows98) I went to Partion Magic's

    (version
    > 5) PQ Boot application where you can set the numeral # 1 for windows boot

    or
    > 2 for linux boot (or maybe it was the other way ?).
    >
    > I set the boot for windows.
    >
    > On restarting, the screen says:
    > " Starting Windows 98.......
    > Type the name of the Command Interpreter,"
    > and the A: prompt is flashing
    >
    > So I type C:WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
    >
    > but it doesn't work!
    >
    > Is this the correct command interpreter - or can you tell me what to enter
    > here ?
    >
    > The only other thing I can think of is that the C: drive is in fact named
    > something else - it's an IBM machine and I think it was called something
    > with IBM in it but I cant get back in there to confirm that.

    I can't believe inspector Morse hasn't solved this one yet!! (Mind you, he
    is dead so that doesn't help!) Try changing directory. You can't type in a
    command to the c: drive when "the A: prompt is flashing". Something like cd
    c: gets you to a c: prompt. (Could be cd c:/, I can't be arsed to look it
    up!)

    DG.

    --
    "When the going gets tough, leggit!"

    Dan Glybitz, Jan 5, 2004
  5. Trax

    Morse Guest

    I of course tried to, but I cant chage directory as the directory name isn't
    C: or D: etc - IBM in their wisdom gave it some other cute name I don't know

    Morse, Jan 5, 2004