  1. Andy Petro

    Andy Petro Guest

    What are the advantages of partitioning a C drive.

    Andy Petro, Jun 11, 2007

  2. Andy Petro

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Andy Petro" <> wrote in message
    news:466c98da$0$16378$...
    > What are the advantages of partitioning a C drive.

    My favorite reason: Data can be stored separately from OS and apps. If the
    system crashes, the data doesn't go bye-bye when the OS is reinstalled.

    There are some difficulties in doing that with some programs which have
    their data stored in places that I don't like - Outlook Express data and
    Windows Address Book information come immediately to mind. But that can be
    fixed too.
    WhzzKdd, Jun 11, 2007

  3. Andy Petro wrote:
    > What are the advantages of partitioning a C drive.

    One of the advantages is, you can have the hard drive work if you
    partition it. If you don't, it no workee. I know it's kind of confusing,
    but you MUST partition a hard drive for it to work, even if it's only
    one partition. Multiple partitions are for different reasons.
    Personally, I never use more than one, but that's for my own reasons.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 11, 2007
  4. Andy Petro

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Andy Petro wrote:
    >> What are the advantages of partitioning a C drive.

    > One of the advantages is, you can have the hard drive work if you
    > partition it. If you don't, it no workee. I know it's kind of confusing,
    > but you MUST partition a hard drive for it to work, even if it's only one
    > partition. Multiple partitions are for different reasons. Personally, I
    > never use more than one, but that's for my own reasons.

    LOL! You have an excellent point. Kinda like formatting. If you don't do it,
    it don't work so good.
    WhzzKdd, Jun 11, 2007
  5. Andy Petro

    richard Guest

    On Jun 10, 8:35 pm, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    > Andy Petro wrote:
    > > What are the advantages of partitioning a C drive.

    > One of the advantages is, you can have the hard drive work if you
    > partition it. If you don't, it no workee. I know it's kind of confusing,
    > but you MUST partition a hard drive for it to work, even if it's only
    > one partition. Multiple partitions are for different reasons.
    > Personally, I never use more than one, but that's for my own reasons.

    Good. I hope one of these days you have a major crash and lose all of
    your hard work forever.
    Years ago when a gigabyte hard drive was only the drawing board, I was
    learning how to partition and do so with every drive I get.
    Nothing but the OS goes on the C:drive except for some basic programs
    that won't let you put it anywhere else.
    Even then, I put the source program on another partition so I'll have
    it later if needed.
    richard, Jun 11, 2007
  6. richard wrote:
    > On Jun 10, 8:35 pm, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >
    >>Andy Petro wrote:
    >>
    >>>What are the advantages of partitioning a C drive.

    >>One of the advantages is, you can have the hard drive work if you
    >>partition it. If you don't, it no workee. I know it's kind of confusing,
    >>but you MUST partition a hard drive for it to work, even if it's only
    >>one partition. Multiple partitions are for different reasons.
    >>Personally, I never use more than one, but that's for my own reasons.

    > Good. I hope one of these days you have a major crash and lose all of
    > your hard work forever.
    > Years ago when a gigabyte hard drive was only the drawing board, I was
    > learning how to partition and do so with every drive I get.
    > Nothing but the OS goes on the C:drive except for some basic programs
    > that won't let you put it anywhere else.
    > Even then, I put the source program on another partition so I'll have
    > it later if needed.

    Don't be so moody, Dicky boy. If you'll look back over the years, you'll
    notice I wasn't one of the ones piling onto you. You seem to bring it on
    yourself, openly inviting others to flame your ass all to hell. I've
    done okay with the way I partition for the last couple of decades or so,
    I probably won't change in the next few days.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 11, 2007
  7. Andy Petro

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > richard wrote:

    >>>One of the advantages is, you can have the hard drive work if you
    >>>partition it. If you don't, it no workee. I know it's kind of confusing,
    >>>but you MUST partition a hard drive for it to work, even if it's only
    >>>one partition. Multiple partitions are for different reasons.
    >>>Personally, I never use more than one, but that's for my own reasons.

    >> Good. I hope one of these days you have a major crash and lose all of
    >> your hard work forever.
    >> Years ago when a gigabyte hard drive was only the drawing board, I was
    >> learning how to partition and do so with every drive I get.
    >> Nothing but the OS goes on the C:drive except for some basic programs
    >> that won't let you put it anywhere else.
    >> Even then, I put the source program on another partition so I'll have
    >> it later if needed.

    > Don't be so moody, Dicky boy. If you'll look back over the years, you'll
    > notice I wasn't one of the ones piling onto you. You seem to bring it on
    > yourself, openly inviting others to flame your ass all to hell. I've done
    > okay with the way I partition for the last couple of decades or so, I
    > probably won't change in the next few days.

    LOL! He definately goes looking for trouble...
    WhzzKdd, Jun 11, 2007
  8. Andy Petro

    Dan C Guest

    On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 21:28:06 -0400, Andy Petro wrote:

    > What are the advantages of partitioning a C drive.

    I don't know! What's a "C drive"???

    Dan C, Jun 11, 2007
  9. Andy Petro

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Dan C" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 21:28:06 -0400, Andy Petro wrote:
    >
    >> What are the advantages of partitioning a C drive.

    > I don't know! What's a "C drive"???

    A poorly executed swing with a 9 iron?
    WhzzKdd, Jun 11, 2007
  10. Andy Petro

    Dan C Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 11:29:38 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:

    >>> What are the advantages of partitioning a C drive.

    >> I don't know! What's a "C drive"???

    > A poorly executed swing with a 9 iron?

    No. You don't "drive" with a 9 iron.

    Dan C, Jun 11, 2007
  11. Andy Petro

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Dan C" <> wrote in message

    >>> I don't know! What's a "C drive"???

    >> A poorly executed swing with a 9 iron?

    > No. You don't "drive" with a 9 iron.

    Yeah yeah. Whatever.
    WhzzKdd, Jun 12, 2007
  12. Andy Petro

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Andy Petro" <> wrote in message
    > What are the advantages of partitioning a C drive.

    And why haven't we heard from Thanatoid on this one? <g>
    WhzzKdd, Jun 12, 2007
  13. Andy Petro

    Top Guest

    On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 21:28:06 -0400, Andy Petro wrote:

    > What are the advantages of partitioning a C drive.

    What are the advantages of having different rooms in your home?

    Top
    Top, Jun 12, 2007
  14. Andy Petro

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Top" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 21:28:06 -0400, Andy Petro wrote:
    >
    >> What are the advantages of partitioning a C drive.

    > What are the advantages of having different rooms in your home?
    >
    > Top

    Just about says it all. Keep the food in the kitchen, keep the crap in the
    crapper. Makes perfect sense <g>

    The analogy I used in the past wasn't as good: Multiple drawer file cabinet.
    One drawer for personal stuff, one drawer for work stuff, one drawer for
    legal stuff, etc. All filed neatly in sensible order. Each partition was a
    drawer, each folder was, well, a folder ;)
    WhzzKdd, Jun 12, 2007
  15. In article vsCbi.26$,
    "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> said:
    -->
    -->"Top" <> wrote in message
    -->news:p...
    -->> On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 21:28:06 -0400, Andy Petro wrote:
    -->>
[...]

    That clears up everything!
    Luke O'Malley, Jun 13, 2007
  16. In article vsCbi.26$,
    "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> said:
    -->
    -->
    -->"Top" <> wrote in message
    -->news:p...
[...]

    I just counted nine replies of criticism, but not one offer of a
    solution. Why do some participants in this group assume the worst
    and then act on it. It is a site for people with problems. Obvious
    to me, I am also having problems with the program I am using to
    post. It is almost as if there are sine people out there looking
    for something they find objectionable so that they can fan their ego
    with a disparaging remark intended to put themselve on a higher
    plane than the person making the inquiry. Now that you have done
    that, do you have any positive suggestion to help me with my
    problem. If not - go to hell!
    Luke O'Malley, Jun 13, 2007
  17. Andy Petro

    Dan C Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 01:17:52 +0000, Luke O'Malley wrote:

    > I just counted nine replies of criticism, but not one offer of a
    > solution. Why do some participants in this group assume the worst and
    > then act on it. It is a site for people with problems.

    This isn't a "site", forum-boy. It's a newsgroup on Usenet.

    > Obvious to me, I am also having problems with the program I am using to
    > post.

    What problems are you having? (You didn't say)

    > It is almost as if there are sine people out there looking for

    What's the tangent of 45 degrees? OK, how about the cosine?

    > person making the inquiry. Now that you have done that, do you have any
    > positive suggestion to help me with my problem. If not - go to hell!

    What problem is that??? You haven't specified a problem, and you don't
    appear to be the same person who started this thread. What's your problem???

    Dan C, Jun 13, 2007
  18. Andy Petro

    Plato Guest

    Andy Petro wrote:

    > What are the advantages of partitioning a C drive.

    Well, you need at least one partition to use the drive. That's the #1
    advantage. The second main advantage is lets say you have lots of mp3s
    or videos, put them on a second partition that way you wont have to
    defrag it as the files hardly ever change.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jun 14, 2007