Partitioning Xp and Linux

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Andrew Watiker, Oct 24, 2003.

  1. I am seriously considering building my own machine. Part of the reason is
    related to partitioning. I am concerned that most OEMs are going to make it
    very difficult to get the dual-boot setup I want between Windows and Linux.
    By building my own machine I would be in complete control of the
    partitioning. This led me to a few questions.

    XP Pro OEM Cd's were about 50% of the cost of the retail version.
    Discounting everything else, is the software exactly the same as the retail
    version. I am thinking specifically about partitioning. Also will I face
    any problems with activation? Are OEM Cd's legal and able to be patched?

    Secondly, would using FDISK to create unformatted partitions be able to
    create (to be formatted in Windows and Linux installs, because the boot disk
    can only do FAT and FAT32) the following partition set-up:

    1. Windows XP ~10GB (NTFS)
    2. "/" Mandrake Linux ~10GB (E2FS)
    3. Windows Virtual Memory ~3GB
    4. Linux SWAP ~3GB
    5. Windows Data (NTFS) ~22GB
    6. /Home (E2FS) ~22GB
    7. Windows Programs (FAT32) ~22.5GB
    8. Data (FAT32) ~22.5 GB

    Is this set-up over doing it? If FDISK isn't a good option, what (free)
    software would be recommended to set this up. The hard drive will be empty
    so destructive software is OK.

    --
    Andrew Watiker

    Visit My Website: http://andrewwatiker.alturl.com
    or
    http://andrewwatiker.homeip.net:81

    "All We Are Saying is Give Peace a Chance."
    - John Lennon

    Peace & Love.

    ---

    Andrew Watiker, Oct 24, 2003

  2. Andrew Watiker

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Andrew Watiker" <> wrote in

    > XP Pro OEM Cd's were about 50% of the cost of the retail version.
    > Discounting everything else, is the software exactly the same as the
    > retail version. I am thinking specifically about partitioning. Also
    > will I face any problems with activation? Are OEM Cd's legal and able
    > to be patched?

    OEM CDs are completely legal, able to be activated and patched. But if
    you have a problem, you can not call Microsoft and ask for help, as they
    do not provide any form of tech support for OEM products.

    > Secondly, would using FDISK to create unformatted partitions be able
    > to create (to be formatted in Windows and Linux installs, because the
    > boot disk can only do FAT and FAT32) the following partition set-up:
    > 1. Windows XP ~10GB (NTFS)
    > 2. "/" Mandrake Linux ~10GB (E2FS)
    > 3. Windows Virtual Memory ~3GB
    > 4. Linux SWAP ~3GB
    > 5. Windows Data (NTFS) ~22GB
    > 6. /Home (E2FS) ~22GB
    > 7. Windows Programs (FAT32) ~22.5GB
    > 8. Data (FAT32) ~22.5 GB

    This is massively overkill. You should set up like this:
    1. Windows XP ~60GB (NTFS)
    2. Extended Partition w/ following logical drives
    A. / ~15GB (ext2 or ext3)
    B. /home ~5GB (ext2 or ext3)
    C. Swap ~1x or 1.5x your RAM (Linux Swap)
    D. Data ~20GB (FAT32)

    You are setting aside far to much swap space for both OSs (unless you
    have 3 gigs of RAM), I believe you are using too much space for /home
    than / (unless you plan installing all your software into /home, which
    most people and build scripts don't), and you are making far too many
    partitions for Windows. You don't need to separate the OS, the swap
    file, the programs and the data into 4 separate partitions. All you will
    be doing is increasing head movement and hurting performance.

    > Is this set-up over doing it? If FDISK isn't a good option, what
    > (free) software would be recommended to set this up. The hard drive
    > will be empty so destructive software is OK.

    You should start by installing XP Pro, give it a 60 gig or so partition
    (XP's setup can do it's own partitioning). After XP is installed,
    install Linux, it will see the XP partition, create it's own mount
    points, and install a bootloader which along with providing dual boot
    options, also fools Windows XP's boot loader into thinking that there is
    no foreign bootloader (handy, if you boot through GRUB to an XP recovery
    console and do fixboot, it won't wipe out the linux bootloader).

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 24, 2003