    Can I use the disk that came with my WD600 to partition it w/o any future trouble?
    I intend to run a Linix/Win98 system. Do I need dual boot software?
    Sean
    Sean Cleary, Nov 20, 2003

  2. Sean Cleary

    hootnholler Guest

    Hi Sean,

    I'm sure that ez bios will do okay for ya, just a few pointers on Linux...

    When you partition, make a windows partition, go through the normal steps.
    Then, leave the space you want for Linux unformatted. When you go to
    install your Linux distro, it will format for you with one of their formats
    (usually ext2 or ext3).

    After that, Linux will install either Lilo or Grub for your 'boot
    commander'. You don't need a particular boot program, just make sure you
    install windows first, then Linux. If you don't, you can add them later,
    but it's kind of a pain...

    If you are just trying this to see what Linux is all about, check out
    http://www.linuxiso.org for a flavor that you would like, but you can make
    cd's that are bootable and go to Linux, the two most popular being Knoppix
    and the Suse evaluation flavors. In other words, download the iso, then use
    something like nero to burn the iso image to a cd, then you can just start
    the pc with the cd in the drive (as long as bios boot is setup to cd before
    hard drive) and run linux that way. It's limited, but has most of the stuff
    you can play with. Other than those pointers, I would suggest if you are
    going to do a full install, try Suse, if you can get a copy. Red hat is
    nice, but they are starting to charge for all their services, and Suse will
    have a ton of support.

    Have fun with your endeavor.

    Hoot

    hootnholler, Nov 20, 2003

  3. Sean Cleary

    Paisleyskye Guest

    Another good one that is free is BootIT.
    --
    Paisleyskye
    http://www.icertify.net

    Paisleyskye, Nov 20, 2003
  4. Sean Cleary

    Tony Sivori Guest

    hootnholler wrote:

    > When you partition, make a windows partition, go through the normal
    > steps. Then, leave the space you want for Linux unformatted. When you
    > go to install your Linux distro, it will format for you with one of
    > their formats (usually ext2 or ext3).

    ReiserFS is better than ext2/3, in my experience. I've had ext3 corrupt
    data due to abrupt (improper) shutdowns. No such problems with ReiserFS.

    > I would suggest if you are going to do a full install, try Suse, if you
    > can get a copy. Red hat is nice, but they are starting to charge for
    > all their services, and Suse will have a ton of support.

    Mandrake is more open (can be freely downloaded) than suse, and is very
    Linux newbie friendly. Red Hat doesn't seem to want the desktop business
    anymore, but there is the new Red Hat offshoot Fedora.

    --
    Tony Sivori
    Tony Sivori, Nov 21, 2003
  5. Sean Cleary

    hootnholler Guest

    Hi Tony,

    Great info! I'll have to give Reiser a go, I also have had problems with
    ext3...

    I only mentioned Suse since Novell just acquired them, and they are working
    on making it a 'total solution' to the business. Ie, they want to
    incorporate your server and desktop. It is kind of interesting, but for
    now, you are correct, Mandrake would probably be a much better answer for
    Sean at this moment. I just kind of jumped the gun there... ;-)

    Hoot

    hootnholler, Nov 21, 2003
  6. Sean Cleary

    Sean Cleary Guest

    "hootnholler" <> wrote in message news:<T_ivb.58044$-kc.rr.com>...
    > Hi Tony,
    >
    > Great info! I'll have to give Reiser a go, I also have had problems with
    > ext3...
    >
    > I only mentioned Suse since Novell just acquired them, and they are working
    > on making it a 'total solution' to the business. Ie, they want to
    > incorporate your server and desktop. It is kind of interesting, but for
    > now, you are correct, Mandrake would probably be a much better answer for
    > Sean at this moment. I just kind of jumped the gun there... ;-)
    >
    > Hoot
    >
    > "Tony Sivori" <TonySivoriM$> wrote in message
    > > hootnholler wrote:
    > >
    > > > When you partition, make a windows partition, go through the normal
    > > > steps. Then, leave the space you want for Linux unformatted. When you
    > > > go to install your Linux distro, it will format for you with one of
    > > > their formats (usually ext2 or ext3).

    > > ReiserFS is better than ext2/3, in my experience. I've had ext3 corrupt
    > > data due to abrupt (improper) shutdowns. No such problems with ReiserFS.
    > >
    > > > I would suggest if you are going to do a full install, try Suse, if you
    > > > can get a copy. Red hat is nice, but they are starting to charge for
    > > > all their services, and Suse will have a ton of support.

    > > Mandrake is more open (can be freely downloaded) than suse, and is very
    > > Linux newbie friendly. Red Hat doesn't seem to want the desktop business
    > > anymore, but there is the new Red Hat offshoot Fedora.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Tony Sivori

    Before this discussion started I picked up Red Hat at Fry's
    electronics. Maybe I erred, but I will stick with what I bought.

    EZ-Bios formats the partitions that it makes. So now I have dos
    formated partitions. Will this mess up Linux?
    Sean
    Sean Cleary, Nov 21, 2003
  7. Sean Cleary

    Tony Sivori Guest

    Sean Cleary wrote:
    > Before this discussion started I picked up Red Hat at Fry's electronics.
    > Maybe I erred, but I will stick with what I bought.

    Red Hat is a fine choice. But there won't be anymore upgrades to their
    desktop OS.

    > EZ-Bios formats the partitions that it makes. So now I have dos formated
    > partitions. Will this mess up Linux? Sean

    No problem. When you install, just select use existing partitions, and the
    installer will partition the selected partition to the file system of your
    choice. As previously mentioned, I recommend ReiserFS. You'll also need to
    create a swap partition, but it is all a graphical interface that makes it
    easy.

    Also, you might want to subscribe to some of the Red Hat newsgroups.
    alt.os.linux.redhat, linux.redhat, linux.redhat.install,
    linux.redhat.misc, linux.redhat.rpm, (RPM is the Redhat software installer
    and a very nice Red Hat feature that is also used in other Linux distro
    such as Mandrake).

    --
    Tony Sivori
    Tony Sivori, Nov 22, 2003
  8. Sean Cleary

    Tony Sivori Guest

    hootnholler wrote:

    > Hi Tony,
    >
    > Great info! I'll have to give Reiser a go, I also have had problems
    > with ext3...

    We get a lot of thunderstorms where I live, and sometimes I'm awakened by
    thunder only to remember that I left the computers running. Doh! I'd
    usually just yank the power cord, only to later discover that is Russian
    roulette with ext2/3. Which surprised me as it is "advertised" as a
    journaling file system.

    > I only mentioned Suse since Novell just acquired them, and they are
    > working on making it a 'total solution' to the business. Ie, they want
    > to incorporate your server and desktop. It is kind of interesting, but
    > for now, you are correct, Mandrake would probably be a much better
    > answer for Sean at this moment. I just kind of jumped the gun there...

    Mandrake has been my primary OS for five months now. I like it a lot
    better than Windows. I found it easy to install and use, except for
    getting the winmodem working.

    Mandrake has a reputation as the most newbie friendly of the mainstream
    Linux distros. I guess Lycoris and Lindows might be easier for a newbie,
    but I think most Linux folks consider them to be oddball distros.

    --
    Tony Sivori
    Tony Sivori, Nov 22, 2003
  9. Sean Cleary

    Tony Sivori Guest

    Tony Sivori wrote:
    > the installer will partition the selected partition to the file system

    Oops, I meant format the selected partition.

    --
    Tony Sivori
    Tony Sivori, Nov 22, 2003