    installed. The only thing I've installed is Windows XP Pro. Can
    someone please help me out here? I'm at a stand still as fas as what
    to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    Yucko the Clown, Feb 23, 2004

  2. Yucko the Clown

    Rifleman Guest

    "Yucko the Clown" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Last night I installed my new 250 gig hard drive. I put it in
    > formatted it and reinstalled Windows XP Professional. So far
    > everything was looking good. Then I went to partition the hard drive
    > into 3 even partitions. At first I used partition magic and it came up
    > with an error saying "Cannot lock drive". I tried a couple times and
    > got the same message both times. So I decided to try it thru Windows
    > XP Pro and got as far as Drive Management. It said to right click on
    > the unallocated portion of the hard drive. But here's the problem. I
    > did not see any unallocated portition. All I saw was the drive I just
    > installed. The only thing I've installed is Windows XP Pro. Can
    > someone please help me out here? I'm at a stand still as fas as what
    > to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    You would have had the option to partition as part of the XP install
    process. if you haven't installed any software or copied over any data I
    suggest you re-install XP, and during the setup process, delete the
    partition and create new ones.

    Rifleman, Feb 23, 2004

  3. Yucko the Clown

    Bob Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:14:22 +0000, Rifleman wrote:

    > "Yucko the Clown" <> wrote in message
    >> Last night I installed my new 250 gig hard drive. I put it in
    >> formatted it and reinstalled Windows XP Professional. So far
    >> everything was looking good. Then I went to partition the hard drive
    >> into 3 even partitions. At first I used partition magic and it came up
    >> with an error saying "Cannot lock drive". I tried a couple times and
    >> got the same message both times. So I decided to try it thru Windows
    >> XP Pro and got as far as Drive Management. It said to right click on
    >> the unallocated portion of the hard drive. But here's the problem. I
    >> did not see any unallocated portition. All I saw was the drive I just
    >> installed. The only thing I've installed is Windows XP Pro. Can
    >> someone please help me out here? I'm at a stand still as fas as what
    >> to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    > You would have had the option to partition as part of the XP install
    > process. if you haven't installed any software or copied over any data I
    > suggest you re-install XP, and during the setup process, delete the
    > partition and create new ones.

    Partition magic can't lock the ntfs. I thought there was a workaround for
    that? I'd reinstall though too if it's not a hassle.
    ~Bob

    Bob, Feb 23, 2004