    still boot PM from floppies if I need to resize the partitions because it
    works, but for partition creation and formatting "Disk Management" is faster
    and easier.
    Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2, Aug 25, 2006

  2. Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2

    John Barnes Guest

    With Vista, you can resize your partitions, so you should not need PM even
    for than any more.

    John Barnes, Aug 25, 2006

  3. John:
    Thanks for catching my omission. I haven't tried resizing with Vista yet.

    Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2, Aug 25, 2006
  4. Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2

    John Barnes Guest

    I installed my last version of PM on XP home when it first came out. I have
    long since retired the computer, but I installed the hard drive in a USB
    external. Whenever I have needed to use it I just hook it up and execute it
    from the Programs folder. Works great on anything that doesn't require
    going into DOS to execute (any partition but the boot partition)

    John Barnes, Aug 25, 2006
  5. Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2

    VWWall Guest

    Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 (5384), OPP2007B2 wrote:
    > Partitioning hard drives can be a nightmare. I've been using PQ
    > Partition magic for years, I've seen no updates to it since Norton
    > purchased it other than name change. PM isn't compatible with XP x64 or
    > Vista at this time other than booting it from the CD or floppies which
    > works. I'm not holding my breath for an update since there have been no
    > updates in over three years. When I rebuilt my FX51 tower, dropping raid
    > and installing a 320GB hard drive, I didn't have a copy of XP X86 to
    > install without violating licensing. I installed XP x64 instead on a
    > 30GB partition setup during installation. That left 268GB unallocated.
    > Using "Disk Management" in x64 I created two 49GB primary partitions, F
    > data and G Vista and formatted them NTFS with name and letter.
    > Installation of Vista x64 on the G partition was flawless. Under hard
    > drives I see C x64 30GB, F Data 49GB and G Vista 49GB in either
    > operating system. Under "Disk Management" I see the same partitions plus
    > 170GB unallocated. This proves that with a little planning from the
    > beginning a third party partitioning tool isn't needed. I will still
    > boot PM from floppies if I need to resize the partitions because it
    > works, but for partition creation and formatting "Disk Management" is
    > faster and easier.

    If you ever get stuck, here's a free partitioner that will work on file
    systems that Windows doesn't know about: It's a self booting CD and has
    its own operating system--something called Linux! The download is free.
    Its handy to have around even if you never need it.

    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

    --
    Virg Wall, P.E.
    VWWall, Aug 25, 2006
  6. VWWall:
    Thank you for the alternative. It's good to see that Linux is
    finally addressing the need to deal with NTFS as a type of formatting.

    Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2, Aug 25, 2006
  7. Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2

    VWWall Guest

    Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 (5384), OPP2007B2 wrote:
    > VWWall:
    > Thank you for the alternative. It's good to see that Linux is
    > finally addressing the need to deal with NTFS as a type of formatting.

    I wonder if it will work on that new file system Vista was supposed to
    have. :) Linux can *read* NTSF very well, which is handy for
    recovering files when Windows goes belly up by copying them to a flash
    drive.

    --
    Virg Wall, P.E.
    VWWall, Aug 25, 2006
  8. Dennis -
    FWIW, I've had very good success with Acronis DiskDirector. The current
    version runs in x64, and is reasonably priced. And you can download and try
    first. Of course, you may not need it at all come Vista - resizing is
    supported there.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 25, 2006
  9. Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 20:36:39 -0400, "Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\),
    OPP2007B2" <> wrote:

    >I will
    >still boot PM from floppies if I need to resize the partitions because it
    >works, but for partition creation and formatting "Disk Management" is faster
    >and easier.

    There is a disk called Ultimate Boot CD which contains all kind of
    utilities for partitioning (among other things). I haven't tried it yet,
    and am not familiar with the programs and their reliability.
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    Floppies won't last that long anymore.

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Aug 25, 2006
  10. Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2

    VWWall Guest

    Jud Hendrix wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 20:36:39 -0400, "Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\),
    > OPP2007B2" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I will
    >> still boot PM from floppies if I need to resize the partitions because it
    >> works, but for partition creation and formatting "Disk Management" is faster
    >> and easier.

    > There is a disk called Ultimate Boot CD which contains all kind of
    > utilities for partitioning (among other things). I haven't tried it yet,
    > and am not familiar with the programs and their reliability.
    > http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    > Floppies won't last that long anymore.

    There's one for Windows as well:

    http://www.linux-ntfs.org/

    You make it using your Windows CD.

    At one time Microsoft had a similar thing, but dropped it.
    Rumors were that there were license questions, as it installs an OS from
    the "live" CD which lets you work on the failed one.

    Sadly, it won't work for WinXPx64.

    --
    Virg Wall, P.E.
    VWWall, Aug 26, 2006