    at present and prefer it to XP. XP however seems to work better with video
    files and DVD's etc. Is it possible to partition my drive leaving 98 and all
    its programmes intact whilst having XP as an alternative boot up option?

    Chris, Aug 28, 2004

  2. Chris

    Brian Guest

    "Chris" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:cgpo35$les$...
    > I'm thinking of partitioning my HD in order to put XP on. I'm running 98SE
    > at present and prefer it to XP. XP however seems to work better with video
    > files and DVD's etc. Is it possible to partition my drive leaving 98 and

    all
    > its programmes intact whilst having XP as an alternative boot up option?

    yes.

    Brian, Aug 28, 2004

  3. Chris

    xmp Guest

    Chris wrote:

    > I'm thinking of partitioning my HD in order to put XP on. I'm running 98SE
    > at present and prefer it to XP. XP however seems to work better with video
    > files and DVD's etc. Is it possible to partition my drive leaving 98 and all
    > its programmes intact whilst having XP as an alternative boot up option?

    Yes, you just need a FAT32 resizer and partitioner. Something like
    BootItNG or Partition Magic would work. Resize the FAT32 partition, and
    then make an NTFS partition. Install XP Home/Pro to the NTFS part, then
    add an entry for Win 98 in the boot menu. Or use a 3rd party boot menu,
    which is the option I chose.

    If you choose BootItNG, you should be able to boot into each OS from the
    other with a program called BootNow. It will use a simple icon on the
    desktop. Partition Magic, Acronis OS selector, and Boot Commander might
    be other options.

    michael

    xmp, Aug 28, 2004
  4. Chris wrote:

    > I'm thinking of partitioning my HD in order to put XP on. I'm running 98SE
    > at present and prefer it to XP. XP however seems to work better with video
    > files and DVD's etc. Is it possible to partition my drive leaving 98 and
    > all its programmes intact whilst having XP as an alternative boot up
    > option?

    Any free partition rezizer will do it, at least after you defragment your 98
    partition firxt. Google for "fat partition resize", get the program of your
    choice and install XP. It will happily occupy the free space and install
    its own boot manager, from which you can select whether to boot XP
    (default, can be changed from XP) and 98. But then, you can also install a
    recent Linux on that partition, like Mandrake, which even includes the
    resizer and also the bootmanager :)
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.8reiser4pkt [LinuxCounter#295241]

    Walter Mautner, Aug 28, 2004
  5. xmp wrote:

    > Chris wrote:
    >
    >> I'm thinking of partitioning my HD in order to put XP on. I'm running
    >> 98SE
    >> at present and prefer it to XP. XP however seems to work better with
    >> video
    >> files and DVD's etc. Is it possible to partition my drive leaving 98
    >> and all
    >> its programmes intact whilst having XP as an alternative boot up option?
    >>

    > Yes, you just need a FAT32 resizer and partitioner. Something like
    > BootItNG or Partition Magic would work. Resize the FAT32 partition, and
    > then make an NTFS partition.

    If you make it an NTFS partition, 98 won't be able to see anything on
    it. Unless you use third-party software like this one, for example:

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfswin98.shtml

    I do believe that one will allow 98 to READ from NTFS drives but not
    WRITE to them.

    If the security features of an NTFS drive aren't needed, a second FAT32
    partition may e a better idea.

    ~Senti

    Sentient Fluid, Aug 28, 2004
  6. Chris