    OS.Is there any advantage to either 'cause if a HDD goes out you are in deep
    trouble either way.
    Thanks for input

    jessie, Feb 26, 2009

  2. jessie wrote:
    > Have a new 500gb seagate & was wondering about partutioning it.Is it
    > better to have 2 partitions or just 1.Back in the old days you could get
    > by with a fairly small partition for the OS but now you need a large
    > partition for the OS.Is there any advantage to either 'cause if a HDD
    > goes out you are in deep trouble either way.
    > Thanks for input

    What is the "OS" yur going to use?

    --
    http://www.palindeception.com/
    http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com

    §ñühw¤£f, Feb 27, 2009

  3. jessie

    Mike Easter Guest

    jessie wrote:
    > Have a new 500gb seagate & was wondering about partutioning it.Is it
    > better to have 2 partitions or just 1.Back in the old days you could
    > get by with a fairly small partition for the OS but now you need a
    > large partition for the OS.Is there any advantage to either 'cause if a
    > HDD goes out you are in deep trouble either way.

    It seems that you have a larger, more complicated question than just how
    many partitions.

    What kind/s of OS/es are you going to be using? What kinds of data
    storage do you need? (as in, lots of 5G files, or what?) How are you
    planning on managing your backups?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Feb 27, 2009
  4. jessie

    jessie Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > jessie wrote:
    >> Have a new 500gb seagate & was wondering about partutioning it.Is it
    >> better to have 2 partitions or just 1.Back in the old days you could
    >> get by with a fairly small partition for the OS but now you need a
    >> large partition for the OS.Is there any advantage to either 'cause if a
    >> HDD goes out you are in deep trouble either way.

    > It seems that you have a larger, more complicated question than just how
    > many partitions.
    >
    > What kind/s of OS/es are you going to be using? What kinds of data
    > storage do you need? (as in, lots of 5G files, or what?) How are you
    > planning on managing your backups?

    OS=XP pro SP3
    Storage is mostly high res pictures 2-5 gb
    Backup is on a 500gb external usb HDD
    Using Acronis for backups

    jessie, Feb 27, 2009
  5. jessie

    Mike Easter Guest

    jessie wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> jessie wrote:
    >>> Have a new 500gb seagate & was wondering about partutioning it.Is it
    >>> better to have 2 partitions or just 1.Back in the old days you could
    >>> get by with a fairly small partition for the OS but now you need a
    >>> large partition for the OS.Is there any advantage to either 'cause if
    >>> a HDD goes out you are in deep trouble either way.

    The hdd dying is a different problem than the problem or solution of being
    able to format the partition with the OS.

    > OS=XP pro SP3
    > Storage is mostly high res pictures 2-5 gb
    > Backup is on a 500gb external usb HDD
    > Using Acronis for backups

    I would have at least 2 partitions so that my OS could reside on its own
    partition separate from the data. Acronis makes a lot of useful software,
    such as their Disk Director Suite.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Feb 27, 2009
  6. jessie wrote:

    > OS=XP pro SP3

    Programs and OS should do fine with 20 GB.

    > Storage is mostly high res pictures 2-5 gb

    2nd partition formatted ntfs (due to possible files >4G).
    You should check (rightclick) the "properties" button for your
    "Files and Settings" folder and redirect it to the 2nd partition.
    That way, even if you have to reinstall the OS, you won't lose
    your pictures on the 2nd partition - unless you mess it up
    at install time, of course.

    > Backup is on a 500gb external usb HDD
    > Using Acronis for backups

    For the pics, I would just use MS synctoy. It syncs only changed
    files and is really quick, therefore.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Feb 27, 2009