    was 80gigs and is now showing 60gigs. Is there a way of putting it back
    to normal other than reformatting it or Does a Fdisk have to be carried
    out in order to put the PC back to normal, the Hard disk is NTSF . TIA

    PWB, Apr 29, 2008

  2. PWB

    PWB Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > PWB wrote:
    >> I have been given a pc that has been tried to format . It was dual
    >> boot Windows XP/Linux but is now Windows XP only. The trouble is it
    >> reboots but instead of rebooting in the normal XP fashion it still
    >> Reboots as a Dual Boot PC (giving two options) the both are windows
    >> XP except the 2nd option, when the ENTER key is pressed does nothing
    >> but remains blank. I take it the missing 20 gigs that was Linux is on
    >> there because the PC was 80gigs and is now showing 60gigs. Is there a
    >> way of putting it back to normal other than reformatting it or Does a
    >> Fdisk have to be carried out in order to put the PC back to normal,
    >> the Hard disk is NTSF .

    > You can restore the normal mbr master boot record (getting rid of the
    > presumably grub boot manager) and you can use a partition manager to
    > merge what was the 20G linux partition with the existing XP partition.
    >
    > What tools and experience do you have? If you have a winxp cd you can
    > boot from it and get to the fixmbr.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    I have a fairly good experience in as much as if I'm told how to do
    something I can do it , but things like getting to the fixmbr need to be
    told to me to know how to get to it.

    PWB, Apr 29, 2008

  3. PWB

    John Holmes Guest

    PWB "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> PWB wrote:
    >>> I have been given a pc that has been tried to format . It was dual
    >>> boot Windows XP/Linux but is now Windows XP only. The trouble is it
    >>> reboots but instead of rebooting in the normal XP fashion it still
    >>> Reboots as a Dual Boot PC (giving two options) the both are windows
    >>> XP except the 2nd option, when the ENTER key is pressed does nothing
    >>> but remains blank. I take it the missing 20 gigs that was Linux is on
    >>> there because the PC was 80gigs and is now showing 60gigs. Is there a
    >>> way of putting it back to normal other than reformatting it or Does a
    >>> Fdisk have to be carried out in order to put the PC back to normal,
    >>> the Hard disk is NTSF .

    >> You can restore the normal mbr master boot record (getting rid of the
    >> presumably grub boot manager) and you can use a partition manager to
    >> merge what was the 20G linux partition with the existing XP partition.
    >>
    >> What tools and experience do you have? If you have a winxp cd you can
    >> boot from it and get to the fixmbr.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mike Easter
    >>

    > I have a fairly good experience in as much as if I'm told how to do
    > something I can do it , but things like getting to the fixmbr need to be
    > told to me to know how to get to it.

    Ignore Mike Easter, he's a fucking nitwit and only sends bullshit all
    around usenet. Do the following instead:

    - Right click "My Computer"
    - Click "Properties"
    - Click Tab "Advanced"
    - Almost on the bottom, you'll see the "Startup and Recovery" section.
    - Click "Settings"
    - Uncheck "Time to display list of operating systems"
    - Reboot
    - Most important step: Ignore Mike Easter from now on.
    - I repeat: Ignore Mike Easter from now on.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Apr 29, 2008
  4. PWB

    John Holmes Guest

    PWB "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    Oh, don't forget to click OK before you reboot...
    ;-)

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Apr 29, 2008
  5. PWB

    John Holmes Guest

    Mike Easter "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > John Holmes wrote:
    >> PWB

    >> - Right click "My Computer"
    >> - Click "Properties"
    >> - Click Tab "Advanced"
    >> - Almost on the bottom, you'll see the "Startup and Recovery" section.
    >> - Click "Settings"
    >> - Uncheck "Time to display list of operating systems"
    >> - Reboot

    > Even if your presumption that the boot manager is XP's instead of
    > grub's, which is possibly correct, your instructions have done nothing
    > to restore his lost 20G partition.

    I agree. But the OP would be able to run Disk Management to restore it
    afterwards. I didn't want to confuse the poor sod too much in my first
    reply so I didn't mention it, yet.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Apr 29, 2008
  6. PWB

    PWB Guest

    John Holmes wrote:
    > Mike Easter "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> John Holmes wrote:
    >>> PWB
    >>> - Right click "My Computer"
    >>> - Click "Properties"
    >>> - Click Tab "Advanced"
    >>> - Almost on the bottom, you'll see the "Startup and Recovery" section.
    >>> - Click "Settings"
    >>> - Uncheck "Time to display list of operating systems"
    >>> - Reboot

    >> Even if your presumption that the boot manager is XP's instead of
    >> grub's, which is possibly correct, your instructions have done nothing
    >> to restore his lost 20G partition.
    >>

    > I agree. But the OP would be able to run Disk Management to restore it
    > afterwards. I didn't want to confuse the poor sod too much in my first
    > reply so I didn't mention it, yet.

    No lol, you wouldnt have confused the 'poor sod' if you'd have put that
    on the end. But thanks anyway.

    PWB, Apr 30, 2008
  7. PWB

    PWB Guest

    PWB wrote:
    > John Holmes wrote:
    >> Mike Easter "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> Even if your presumption that the boot manager is XP's instead of
    >>> grub's, which is possibly correct, your instructions have done nothing
    >>> to restore his lost 20G partition.
    >>>

    >> I agree. But the OP would be able to run Disk Management to restore it
    >> afterwards. I didn't want to confuse the poor sod too much in my first
    >> reply so I didn't mention it, yet.
    >>

    > No lol, you wouldnt have confused the 'poor sod' if you'd have put that
    > on the end. But thanks anyway.

    I forgot to add its done now thanks , it was 12gigs theres no way it can
    be tagged as C> is there because I had to name it D as another drive.

    PWB, Apr 30, 2008
  8. PWB

    Tony Guest

    Very good advice about Mike. I've seen his rants on other newsgroups like
    alt.freenewsservers and he purports not to be Chuckcar yet him and Mike are
    one and the same.

    --
    The 3, 2, 1 master of the CyberFROG

    Tony, Apr 30, 2008
  9. PWB

    PWB Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > Very good advice about Mike. I've seen his rants on other newsgroups like
    > alt.freenewsservers and he purports not to be Chuckcar yet him and Mike are
    > one and the same.
    >
    > John Holmes wrote:
    >
    >> PWB "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> I have a fairly good experience in as much as if I'm told how to do
    >>> something I can do it , but things like getting to the fixmbr need to be
    >>> told to me to know how to get to it.

    >> Ignore Mike Easter, he's a fucking nitwit and only sends bullshit all
    >> around usenet. Do the following instead:
    >>
    >> - Right click "My Computer"
    >> - Click "Properties"
    >> - Click Tab "Advanced"
    >> - Almost on the bottom, you'll see the "Startup and Recovery" section.
    >> - Click "Settings"
    >> - Uncheck "Time to display list of operating systems"
    >> - Reboot
    >> - Most important step: Ignore Mike Easter from now on.
    >> - I repeat: Ignore Mike Easter from now on.
    >>
    >> --
    >> <snip>

    > --
    > The 3, 2, 1 master of the CyberFROG
    >
    > Regards Tony... Making usenet better for everyone everyday

    Well the advice John Holmes gave me certainly worked, after he said
    abiut disk managemeny in his other post. I am you see of the level I
    told Mike lol, that you can tell me something , ANYTHING and once I've
    heard it I can do it . Mind John homes afterwards when he put that extra
    post in about 'Don't forget the OK key ;) Nearly made me think twice
    after he put the smiley behind it , good job i never ;-)

    PWB, Apr 30, 2008