    browse this partition.
    I believe some values in the MBR or partition table or both are off.
    Please help

    cizzo, Jul 5, 2007

  2. cizzo

    meerkat Guest

    "cizzo" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am having problems loading the primary partition on my computer. I
    > was experimenting using different partitioning tools and deleted the
    > partition (my back up image on the other drive is strangely gone). I
    > have used partition recovery software (TestDisk v6.6) to recover this
    > partition. Everything looks fine but the system hangs when it is to
    > boot into the OS. I have used DOS based utilities and am able to
    > browse this partition.
    > I believe some values in the MBR or partition table or both are off.
    > Please help

    What OS have you ?.
    From DOS you can try....fdisk /MBR.
    That will recover the Master boot record.

    meerkat, Jul 5, 2007

  3. cizzo

    EvilDeus Guest

    "meerkat" <> wrote in message

    > "cizzo" <> wrote in message
    > >I am having problems loading the primary partition on my computer. I
    > > was experimenting using different partitioning tools and deleted the
    > > partition (my back up image on the other drive is strangely gone). I
    > > have used partition recovery software (TestDisk v6.6) to recover this
    > > partition. Everything looks fine but the system hangs when it is to
    > > boot into the OS. I have used DOS based utilities and am able to
    > > browse this partition.
    > > I believe some values in the MBR or partition table or both are off.
    > > Please help
    > >

    > What OS have you ?.
    > From DOS you can try....fdisk /MBR.
    > That will recover the Master boot record.

    I have found MS-DOS 6.22 useful in finding fdisk /MBR errors also using
    Norton MS-DOS based program in FAT32 partitions

    EvilDeus, Jul 5, 2007
  4. cizzo

    cizzo Guest

    On Jul 5, 12:23 pm, "EvilDeus" <> wrote:
    > "meerkat" <> wrote in message

    > > "cizzo" <> wrote in message
    > > >I am having problems loading the primary partition on my computer. I
    > > > was experimenting using different partitioning tools and deleted the
    > > > partition (my back up image on the other drive is strangely gone). I
    > > > have used partition recovery software (TestDisk v6.6) to recover this
    > > > partition. Everything looks fine but the system hangs when it is to
    > > > boot into the OS. I have used DOS based utilities and am able to
    > > > browse this partition.
    > > > I believe some values in the MBR or partition table or both are off.
    > > > Please help

    > > What OS have you ?.
    > > From DOS you can try....fdisk /MBR.
    > > That will recover the Master boot record.

    > I have found MS-DOS 6.22 useful in finding fdisk /MBR errors also using
    > Norton MS-DOS based program in FAT32 partitions- Hide quoted text -

    I tried fdisk /MBR with the same results.
    It is actually a server (non-critical) running Windows Server 2003
    Enterprise Edition.

    cizzo, Jul 5, 2007
  5. cizzo

    Guest

    cizzo <> wrote:

    >> I have found MS-DOS 6.22 useful in finding fdisk /MBR errors also using
    >> Norton MS-DOS based program in FAT32 partitions- Hide quoted text -

    >I tried fdisk /MBR with the same results.
    >It is actually a server (non-critical) running Windows Server 2003
    >Enterprise Edition.

    Give WinMe boot disk a try, FDISK has a few problems fix with that
    version.
    http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

    --

    , Jul 5, 2007
  6. cizzo

    Guest

    , Jul 6, 2007
  7. On 7/5/2007 4:42 PM, cizzo after much thought,came up with this jewel:
    > On Jul 5, 12:23 pm, "EvilDeus" <> wrote:
    >> "meerkat" <> wrote in message

    >>> "cizzo" <> wrote in message
    >>> What OS have you ?.
    >>> From DOS you can try....fdisk /MBR.
    >>> That will recover the Master boot record.

    >> I have found MS-DOS 6.22 useful in finding fdisk /MBR errors also using
    >> Norton MS-DOS based program in FAT32 partitions- Hide quoted text -

    > I tried fdisk /MBR with the same results.
    > It is actually a server (non-critical) running Windows Server 2003
    > Enterprise Edition.

    For W2k/XP/Server2000/3 use fixmbr from the recovery console.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326215
    max
    --
    My Pages:
    Virus Removal Instructions:

    Maximus the Mad, Jul 6, 2007
  8. cizzo

    cizzo Guest

    On Jul 5, 8:29 pm, Maximus the Mad <>
    wrote:
    > On 7/5/2007 4:42 PM, cizzo after much thought,came up with this jewel:
    >

    > > On Jul 5, 12:23 pm, "EvilDeus" <> wrote:
    > >> "meerkat" <> wrote in message

    > >> I have found MS-DOS 6.22 useful in finding fdisk /MBR errors also using
    > >> Norton MS-DOS based program in FAT32 partitions- Hide quoted text -

    > > I tried fdisk /MBR with the same results.
    > > It is actually a server (non-critical) running Windows Server 2003
    > > Enterprise Edition.

    > For W2k/XP/Server2000/3 use fixmbr from the recovery console.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326215
    > max
    > --
    > My Pages:
    > Virus Removal Instructions:http://www.freespaces.com/maxwachtel/removal.html
    > Keeping Windows Clean:http://www.freespaces.com/maxwachtel/keepingclean.html
    > Tools:http://www.freespaces.com/maxwachtel/tools.html
    > Change nomail.afraid.org to gmail.com to reply. nomail.afraid.org is
    > specifically setup for USENET.Feel free to use it yourself.
    > Always remember - only download files from Trusted Sites.
    > "VISTA" is an acronym for the top five Windows problems: Viruses,
    > Infections, Spyware, Trojans and Adware. -PanHandler
    > Registered Linux User #393236- Hide quoted text -

    Thank you Max!
    Worked like a charm, went into Recovery Console and did fixmbr,
    fixboot, and chkdsk.

    cizzo, Jul 9, 2007