Partition structure problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Suicyco, Jul 20, 2006.

  1. Suicyco

    Suicyco Guest

    Long story short, yesterday 3 of 6 partitions on my second hard drive
    suddenly became what i believe to be corrupted. i tried accessing files
    from the drives and they said they were corrupt(and/or something else.) I
    can't access those partitions or the files so i can't give the exact
    message it said. Rebooted the system, it went thru checkdisk on those
    partition and started doing something with index files. The system rebooted
    and now dispays 3 of the partitions with the data intact and also displays
    the other partitions but they seem to be empty and the drive labels are
    gone.
    They some up as healthy partitions but no filesystem in the display
    management console. It's a Seagate Baricuda 120GB drive. I used seagates
    disk utility and it reported basic structure damge to those partitions. I'm
    using Win2k fully updated, Intel Processor. The message that comes up now
    when trying to access them is "(drive letter):\ is not accessible. The
    wrong diskette is in the drive. Insert (Volume Serial Number: ) into drive
    (drive letter):\"
    I have no idea what is wrong or how to be able to fix this (or if it's even
    possible to fix). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    TIA

    Suicyco, Jul 20, 2006

  2. Suicyco

    Suicyco Guest

    Suicyco <> wrote in

    > Long story short, yesterday 3 of 6 partitions on my second hard drive
    > suddenly became what i believe to be corrupted. i tried accessing
    > files from the drives and they said they were corrupt(and/or something
    > else.) I can't access those partitions or the files so i can't give
    > the exact message it said. Rebooted the system, it went thru checkdisk
    > on those partition and started doing something with index files. The
    > system rebooted and now dispays 3 of the partitions with the data
    > intact and also displays the other partitions but they seem to be
    > empty and the drive labels are gone.
    > They some up as healthy partitions but no filesystem in the display
    > management console. It's a Seagate Baricuda 120GB drive. I used
    > seagates disk utility and it reported basic structure damge to those
    > partitions. I'm using Win2k fully updated, Intel Processor. The
    > message that comes up now when trying to access them is "(drive
    > letter):\ is not accessible. The wrong diskette is in the drive.
    > Insert (Volume Serial Number: ) into drive (drive letter):\"
    > I have no idea what is wrong or how to be able to fix this (or if it's
    > even possible to fix). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > TIA

    p.s. seagates diagnostic tool didn't find any problems on the hard drive
    itself, when i did a full diagnostic test.

    Suicyco, Jul 20, 2006

  3. Suicyco

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-20, Suicyco <> wrote:
    > Suicyco <> wrote in
    >
    >> Long story short, yesterday 3 of 6 partitions on my second hard drive
    >> suddenly became what i believe to be corrupted. i tried accessing
    >> files from the drives and they said they were corrupt(and/or something
    >> else.) I can't access those partitions or the files so i can't give
    >> the exact message it said. Rebooted the system, it went thru checkdisk
    >> on those partition and started doing something with index files. The
    >> system rebooted and now dispays 3 of the partitions with the data
    >> intact and also displays the other partitions but they seem to be
    >> empty and the drive labels are gone.
    >> They some up as healthy partitions but no filesystem in the display
    >> management console. It's a Seagate Baricuda 120GB drive. I used
    >> seagates disk utility and it reported basic structure damge to those
    >> partitions. I'm using Win2k fully updated, Intel Processor. The
    >> message that comes up now when trying to access them is "(drive
    >> letter):\ is not accessible. The wrong diskette is in the drive.
    >> Insert (Volume Serial Number: ) into drive (drive letter):\"
    >> I have no idea what is wrong or how to be able to fix this (or if it's
    >> even possible to fix). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >> TIA
    >>

    > p.s. seagates diagnostic tool didn't find any problems on the hard drive
    > itself, when i did a full diagnostic test.

    I do not have an answer for you. Similar things have happened to me. I
    have learned to say (to myself):
    "Oops, looks like that data is toast. Glad I have my backups."

    --
    In the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence
    with words in the proper order then why can't he?

    Jimchip, Jul 20, 2006
  4. Suicyco

    Suicyco Guest

    Jimchip <> wrote in

    > On 2006-07-20, Suicyco <> wrote:
    >> Suicyco <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Long story short, yesterday 3 of 6 partitions on my second hard
    >>> drive suddenly became what i believe to be corrupted. i tried
    >>> accessing files from the drives and they said they were
    >>> corrupt(and/or something else.) I can't access those partitions or
    >>> the files so i can't give the exact message it said. Rebooted the
    >>> system, it went thru checkdisk on those partition and started doing
    >>> something with index files. The system rebooted and now dispays 3 of
    >>> the partitions with the data intact and also displays the other
    >>> partitions but they seem to be empty and the drive labels are gone.
    >>> They some up as healthy partitions but no filesystem in the display
    >>> management console. It's a Seagate Baricuda 120GB drive. I used
    >>> seagates disk utility and it reported basic structure damge to those
    >>> partitions. I'm using Win2k fully updated, Intel Processor. The
    >>> message that comes up now when trying to access them is "(drive
    >>> letter):\ is not accessible. The wrong diskette is in the drive.
    >>> Insert (Volume Serial Number: ) into drive (drive letter):\"
    >>> I have no idea what is wrong or how to be able to fix this (or if
    >>> it's even possible to fix). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>> TIA
    >>>

    >> p.s. seagates diagnostic tool didn't find any problems on the hard
    >> drive itself, when i did a full diagnostic test.

    > I do not have an answer for you. Similar things have happened to me. I
    > have learned to say (to myself):
    > "Oops, looks like that data is toast. Glad I have my backups."

    this is called support group. i would like to know how to fix it or find
    out more about this issue so in case it happens in the future and i'm not
    prepared, or even if it happens to friends/family, i can fix it or maybe
    know more about whats going on. and while i can experiment. if i toast
    the partition data i can use my BACKUP discs.
    thanks for your help ;)

    Suicyco, Jul 20, 2006
  5. Suicyco

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-20, Suicyco <> wrote:
    > Jimchip <> wrote in
    >
    >> On 2006-07-20, Suicyco <> wrote:
    >>> Suicyco <> wrote in

    >>> p.s. seagates diagnostic tool didn't find any problems on the hard
    >>> drive itself, when i did a full diagnostic test.

    >> I do not have an answer for you. Similar things have happened to me. I
    >> have learned to say (to myself):
    >> "Oops, looks like that data is toast. Glad I have my backups."
    >>

    > this is called support group. i would like to know how to fix it or find
    > out more about this issue so in case it happens in the future and i'm not
    > prepared, or even if it happens to friends/family, i can fix it or maybe
    > know more about whats going on. and while i can experiment. if i toast
    > the partition data i can use my BACKUP discs.
    > thanks for your help ;)

    If I read your message correctly then it looks like you lost your data
    but the HD is OK. I would reformat the empty partitions, run my data
    back on to them and be back to normal in ~1 hr. YMMV.

    BTW, what "this is called support group" and what it really is are,
    ahem, different things.

    Do you know anything about glurds?

    Jimchip, Jul 20, 2006
  6. Suicyco

    Suicyco Guest

    Jimchip <> wrote in

    > On 2006-07-20, Suicyco <> wrote:
    >> Jimchip <> wrote in

    >>> I do not have an answer for you. Similar things have happened to me.
    >>> I have learned to say (to myself):
    >>> "Oops, looks like that data is toast. Glad I have my backups."
    >>>

    >> this is called support group. i would like to know how to fix it or
    >> find out more about this issue so in case it happens in the future
    >> and i'm not prepared, or even if it happens to friends/family, i can
    >> fix it or maybe know more about whats going on. and while i can
    >> experiment. if i toast the partition data i can use my BACKUP discs.
    >> thanks for your help ;)

    > If I read your message correctly then it looks like you lost your data
    > but the HD is OK. I would reformat the empty partitions, run my data
    > back on to them and be back to normal in ~1 hr. YMMV.
    >
    > BTW, what "this is called support group" and what it really is are,
    > ahem, different things.
    >
    > Do you know anything about glurds?

    Bye Jim, i have no time for kids games *PLONK*

    Suicyco, Jul 20, 2006
  7. Suicyco

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-20, Suicyco <> wrote:
    > Jimchip <> wrote in
    >
    >> On 2006-07-20, Suicyco <> wrote:
    >>> Jimchip <> wrote in

    >>> this is called support group. i would like to know how to fix it or
    >>> find out more about this issue so in case it happens in the future
    >>> and i'm not prepared, or even if it happens to friends/family, i can
    >>> fix it or maybe know more about whats going on. and while i can
    >>> experiment. if i toast the partition data i can use my BACKUP discs.
    >>> thanks for your help ;)

    >> If I read your message correctly then it looks like you lost your data
    >> but the HD is OK. I would reformat the empty partitions, run my data
    >> back on to them and be back to normal in ~1 hr. YMMV.
    >>
    >> BTW, what "this is called support group" and what it really is are,
    >> ahem, different things.
    >>
    >> Do you know anything about glurds?
    >>

    > Bye Jim, i have no time for kids games *PLONK*

    You won't be reading this but "it is not a game".
    You just don't happen to have a clue. It's called "clueless".
    Have a nice day.

    FYI:
    --
    PLONK-Please Log Off, Net Kook- Richard Sexton claims to have
    originated the use of the term in newsgroups in 1988. He defined it as

    Jimchip, Jul 20, 2006
  8. Suicyco

    Null Guest

    Null, Jul 20, 2006
  9. Suicyco

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 16:49:08 -0000, Jimchip <>
    wrote:

    >On 2006-07-20, Suicyco <> wrote:

    <snip>
    >> Bye Jim, i have no time for kids games *PLONK*

    >You won't be reading this but "it is not a game".
    >You just don't happen to have a clue. It's called "clueless".

    But he has SEVENTEEN WHOLE POSTS IN 24HSHD!!1!!!!

    Jesus H. Christ.

    >Have a nice day.

    See sig.

    --
    Og thought there was such thing as "evolution". How all these stupid
    people still alive? Og boggle.

    Mara, Jul 20, 2006
  10. Suicyco

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-20, Mara <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 16:49:08 -0000, Jimchip <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On 2006-07-20, Suicyco <> wrote:

    ><snip>
    >>> Bye Jim, i have no time for kids games *PLONK*

    >>You won't be reading this but "it is not a game".
    >>You just don't happen to have a clue. It's called "clueless".

    > But he has SEVENTEEN WHOLE POSTS IN 24HSHD!!1!!!!

    Do you think he didn't like my question re: the glurd?

    Jimchip, Jul 20, 2006
  11. Suicyco

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 01:59:46 -0500, Suicyco <> wrote:

    >Long story short, yesterday 3 of 6 partitions on my second hard drive
    >suddenly became what i believe to be corrupted. i tried accessing files
    >from the drives and they said they were corrupt(and/or something else.) I
    >can't access those partitions or the files so i can't give the exact
    >message it said. Rebooted the system, it went thru checkdisk on those
    >partition and started doing something with index files. The system rebooted
    >and now dispays 3 of the partitions with the data intact and also displays
    >the other partitions but they seem to be empty and the drive labels are
    >gone.
    >They some up as healthy partitions but no filesystem in the display
    >management console. It's a Seagate Baricuda 120GB drive. I used seagates
    >disk utility and it reported basic structure damge to those partitions. I'm
    >using Win2k fully updated, Intel Processor. The message that comes up now
    >when trying to access them is "(drive letter):\ is not accessible. The
    >wrong diskette is in the drive. Insert (Volume Serial Number: ) into drive
    >(drive letter):\"
    >I have no idea what is wrong or how to be able to fix this (or if it's even
    >possible to fix). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >TIA

    Partition Magic 8 can sometimes fix partition errors.

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Jul 21, 2006
  12. Suicyco

    Suicyco Guest

    Null <> wrote in

    > Suicyco wrote:
    >>
    >> p.s. seagates diagnostic tool didn't find any problems on the hard
    >> drive itself, when i did a full diagnostic test.

    > You could try https://www.seagatedatarecovery.com/index.aspx.

    I'm aware of that yes and thanks for making sure i didn't overlook it.
    as i said i'm just trying to see what other options i have, for future
    reference. you know good solid programs to help or tips and references.

    Suicyco, Jul 21, 2006
  13. Suicyco

    Suicyco Guest

    Jimmy Dean <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 01:59:46 -0500, Suicyco <> wrote:
    >
    >>Long story short, yesterday 3 of 6 partitions on my second hard drive
    >>suddenly became what i believe to be corrupted. i tried accessing
    >>files from the drives and they said they were corrupt(and/or something
    >>else.) I can't access those partitions or the files so i can't give
    >>the exact message it said. Rebooted the system, it went thru checkdisk
    >>on those partition and started doing something with index files. The
    >>system rebooted and now dispays 3 of the partitions with the data
    >>intact and also displays the other partitions but they seem to be
    >>empty and the drive labels are gone.
    >>They some up as healthy partitions but no filesystem in the display
    >>management console. It's a Seagate Baricuda 120GB drive. I used
    >>seagates disk utility and it reported basic structure damge to those
    >>partitions. I'm using Win2k fully updated, Intel Processor. The
    >>message that comes up now when trying to access them is "(drive
    >>letter):\ is not accessible. The wrong diskette is in the drive.
    >>Insert (Volume Serial Number: ) into drive (drive letter):\"
    >>I have no idea what is wrong or how to be able to fix this (or if it's
    >>even possible to fix). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>TIA

    > Partition Magic 8 can sometimes fix partition errors.
    >
    > jd

    I tried PM 8, but didn't see anu options for fixing or editing. the only
    thing i could think about was trying to copy the partitions to a
    different drive and see if the appeared. PM 8 did show something still on
    the partitions though, but it wouldn't let me copy them, kept giving me
    errors. Thanks for the heads up though :)

    Suicyco, Jul 21, 2006