    for Win 7, but without going overboard and thus unnecessarily
    reducing the space available for data in other partitions? Thanks
    in advance.
    pawihte, Aug 28, 2010

  2. pawihte

    Dan C Guest

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 20:29:58 +0530, pawihte wrote:

    > I'm preparing a new hard disk for someone who will be using Win XP for
    > some time but may want to install 7 later. As I've never used Win 7
    > either, I'm not sure how large I should make the OS partition.
    >
    > For simplicity, let's assume that the owner can be expected to follow my
    > usage patterns: I always have My Documents on a non-OS partition,
    > disable hibernation and System Restore, and delete Windows SP backup
    > files. My pagefile is currently 3GB. For years, I found 10GB quite
    > enough for XP and all the programs I normally install, but more recently
    > increased that to 20GB, mostly because I occasionally place several GBs
    > temporarily on the desktop. Even then I seldom use more than 10GB of the
    > C: drive.
    >
    > So, taking those things into consideration, what do you suggest as the
    > system drive size that's not likely to require resizing for Win 7, but
    > without going overboard and thus unnecessarily reducing the space
    > available for data in other partitions? Thanks in advance.

    I'd say about 300 GB should be about right.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he struggled with the condom.
    Dan C, Aug 28, 2010

  3. pawihte

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 15:39:13 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    > On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 20:29:58 +0530, pawihte wrote:
    >
    >> I'm preparing a new hard disk for someone who will be using Win XP for
    >> some time but may want to install 7 later. As I've never used Win 7
    >> either, I'm not sure how large I should make the OS partition.
    >>
    >> For simplicity, let's assume that the owner can be expected to follow
    >> my usage patterns: I always have My Documents on a non-OS partition,
    >> disable hibernation and System Restore, and delete Windows SP backup
    >> files. My pagefile is currently 3GB. For years, I found 10GB quite
    >> enough for XP and all the programs I normally install, but more
    >> recently increased that to 20GB, mostly because I occasionally place
    >> several GBs temporarily on the desktop. Even then I seldom use more
    >> than 10GB of the C: drive.
    >>
    >> So, taking those things into consideration, what do you suggest as the
    >> system drive size that's not likely to require resizing for Win 7, but
    >> without going overboard and thus unnecessarily reducing the space
    >> available for data in other partitions? Thanks in advance.

    > I'd say about 300 GB should be about right.

    And where did you feltch that figure from, you're arse again?

    No need to slice you drive up into partitions. Let Windoze do what it
    wants.

    Meat Plow, Aug 28, 2010
  4. pawihte

    Old Gringo38 Guest

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 20:29:58 +0530, pawihte wrote:

    > I'm preparing a new hard disk for someone who will be using Win
    > XP for some time but may want to install 7 later. As I've never
    > used Win 7 either, I'm not sure how large I should make the OS
    > partition.
    >
    > For simplicity, let's assume that the owner can be expected to
    > follow my usage patterns: I always have My Documents on a non-OS
    > partition, disable hibernation and System Restore, and delete
    > Windows SP backup files. My pagefile is currently 3GB. For years,
    > I found 10GB quite enough for XP and all the programs I normally
    > install, but more recently increased that to 20GB, mostly because
    > I occasionally place several GBs temporarily on the desktop. Even
    > then I seldom use more than 10GB of the C: drive.
    >
    > So, taking those things into consideration, what do you suggest
    > as the system drive size that's not likely to require resizing
    > for Win 7, but without going overboard and thus unnecessarily
    > reducing the space available for data in other partitions? Thanks
    > in advance.

    The size of the drive may have an important factor in determining this.
    1/2 & 1/2 would sound good to me. Lots of ifs here.
    --
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    Old Gringo38, Aug 28, 2010
  5. pawihte

    pawihte Guest

    Old Gringo38 wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 20:29:58 +0530, pawihte wrote:
    >
    >> I'm preparing a new hard disk for someone who will be using
    >> Win
    >> XP for some time but may want to install 7 later. As I've
    >> never
    >> used Win 7 either, I'm not sure how large I should make the OS
    >> partition.
    >>
    >> For simplicity, let's assume that the owner can be expected to
    >> follow my usage patterns: I always have My Documents on a
    >> non-OS
    >> partition, disable hibernation and System Restore, and delete
    >> Windows SP backup files. My pagefile is currently 3GB. For
    >> years,
    >> I found 10GB quite enough for XP and all the programs I
    >> normally
    >> install, but more recently increased that to 20GB, mostly
    >> because
    >> I occasionally place several GBs temporarily on the desktop.
    >> Even
    >> then I seldom use more than 10GB of the C: drive.
    >>
    >> So, taking those things into consideration, what do you
    >> suggest
    >> as the system drive size that's not likely to require resizing
    >> for Win 7, but without going overboard and thus unnecessarily
    >> reducing the space available for data in other partitions?
    >> Thanks
    >> in advance.

    > The size of the drive may have an important factor in
    > determining
    > this. 1/2 & 1/2 would sound good to me. Lots of ifs here.

    That's why I took the time to explain my usage habits which I
    expect the owner to emulate. I prefer to keep the OS partition as
    small as possible without being cramped for installation of
    additional programs in the foreseeable future. This is because
    many unskilled users often mess up their system so badly that a
    complete reinstallation is the most practicable solution.

    I make a backup of the system drive, complete with drivers, apps,
    registration and personal preferences. Backup file size is
    reduced to a minimum if no user data was saved on the system
    drive. It also saves the hassle of sorting out all the clutter
    that has to backed up on another drive in case the OS drive has
    to be formatted. This way, the entire system drive can be
    restored in a few minutes.
    pawihte, Aug 28, 2010
  6. pawihte

    Old Gringo38 Guest

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 21:55:30 +0530, pawihte wrote:

    > Old Gringo38 wrote:
    >> On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 20:29:58 +0530, pawihte wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm preparing a new hard disk for someone who will be using
    >>> Win
    >>> XP for some time but may want to install 7 later. As I've
    >>> never
    >>> used Win 7 either, I'm not sure how large I should make the OS
    >>> partition.
    >>>
    >>> For simplicity, let's assume that the owner can be expected to
    >>> follow my usage patterns: I always have My Documents on a
    >>> non-OS
    >>> partition, disable hibernation and System Restore, and delete
    >>> Windows SP backup files. My pagefile is currently 3GB. For
    >>> years,
    >>> I found 10GB quite enough for XP and all the programs I
    >>> normally
    >>> install, but more recently increased that to 20GB, mostly
    >>> because
    >>> I occasionally place several GBs temporarily on the desktop.
    >>> Even
    >>> then I seldom use more than 10GB of the C: drive.
    >>>
    >>> So, taking those things into consideration, what do you
    >>> suggest
    >>> as the system drive size that's not likely to require resizing
    >>> for Win 7, but without going overboard and thus unnecessarily
    >>> reducing the space available for data in other partitions?
    >>> Thanks
    >>> in advance.

    >> The size of the drive may have an important factor in
    >> determining
    >> this. 1/2 & 1/2 would sound good to me. Lots of ifs here.

    > That's why I took the time to explain my usage habits which I
    > expect the owner to emulate. I prefer to keep the OS partition as
    > small as possible without being cramped for installation of
    > additional programs in the foreseeable future. This is because
    > many unskilled users often mess up their system so badly that a
    > complete reinstallation is the most practicable solution.
    >
    > I make a backup of the system drive, complete with drivers, apps,
    > registration and personal preferences. Backup file size is
    > reduced to a minimum if no user data was saved on the system
    > drive. It also saves the hassle of sorting out all the clutter
    > that has to backed up on another drive in case the OS drive has
    > to be formatted. This way, the entire system drive can be
    > restored in a few minutes.

    If knowing what what you want to do and why, the case should be closed
    before it was opened. JHC
    --
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    Support Bacteria: It Is The Only Culture Some People Have.
    8/28/2010 11:29:54 AM CTZ
    Old Gringo38, Aug 28, 2010
  7. pawihte

    pawihte Guest

    Old Gringo38 wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 21:55:30 +0530, pawihte wrote:
    >
    >> Old Gringo38 wrote:

    >>> The size of the drive may have an important factor in
    >>> determining
    >>> this. 1/2 & 1/2 would sound good to me. Lots of ifs here.

    >> That's why I took the time to explain my usage habits which I
    >> expect the owner to emulate. I prefer to keep the OS partition
    >> as
    >> small as possible without being cramped for installation of
    >> additional programs in the foreseeable future. This is
    >> because
    >> many unskilled users often mess up their system so badly that
    >> complete reinstallation is the most practicable solution.
    >>
    >> I make a backup of the system drive, complete with drivers,
    >> apps,
    >> registration and personal preferences. Backup file size is
    >> reduced to a minimum if no user data was saved on the system
    >> drive. It also saves the hassle of sorting out all the clutter
    >> that has to backed up on another drive in case the OS drive
    >> has
    >> to be formatted. This way, the entire system drive can be
    >> restored in a few minutes.

    > If knowing what what you want to do and why, the case should be
    > closed
    > before it was opened. JHC

    I really don't understand what you're trying to say here. I've
    explained at length how I usually use my OS partition, but not
    being familiar with Windows 7, I asked for advice on choosing a
    suitable partition size. Your replies make no sense.
    pawihte, Aug 28, 2010
  8. pawihte

    Old Codger Guest

    On 28/08/2010 17:45, pawihte wrote:
    > Old Gringo38 wrote:

    >>> That's why I took the time to explain my usage habits which I
    >>> expect the owner to emulate. I prefer to keep the OS partition
    >>> as
    >>> small as possible without being cramped for installation of
    >>> additional programs in the foreseeable future. This is
    >>> because
    >>> many unskilled users often mess up their system so badly that
    >>> complete reinstallation is the most practicable solution.
    >>>
    >>> I make a backup of the system drive, complete with drivers,
    >>> apps,
    >>> registration and personal preferences. Backup file size is
    >>> reduced to a minimum if no user data was saved on the system
    >>> drive. It also saves the hassle of sorting out all the clutter
    >>> that has to backed up on another drive in case the OS drive
    >>> has
    >>> to be formatted. This way, the entire system drive can be
    >>> restored in a few minutes.

    >> If knowing what what you want to do and why, the case should be
    >> closed
    >> before it was opened. JHC

    > I really don't understand what you're trying to say here. I've
    > explained at length how I usually use my OS partition, but not
    > being familiar with Windows 7, I asked for advice on choosing a
    > suitable partition size. Your replies make no sense.

    This is usenet, what else do you expect?

    --
    Old Codger
    e-mail use reply to field

    Old Codger, Aug 28, 2010
  9. pawihte

    pawihte Guest

    Old Codger wrote:
    > On 28/08/2010 17:45, pawihte wrote:
    >> Old Gringo38 wrote:

    >>> If knowing what what you want to do and why, the case should
    >>> be
    >>> closed
    >>> before it was opened. JHC

    >> I really don't understand what you're trying to say here. I've
    >> explained at length how I usually use my OS partition, but not
    >> being familiar with Windows 7, I asked for advice on choosing
    >> suitable partition size. Your replies make no sense.

    > This is usenet, what else do you expect?

    You have a point there.
    pawihte, Aug 28, 2010
  10. pawihte

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 22:55:37 +0530, pawihte wrote:

    > Old Codger wrote:

    >>> I really don't understand what you're trying to say here. I've
    >>> explained at length how I usually use my OS partition, but not being
    >>> familiar with Windows 7, I asked for advice on choosing a
    >>> suitable partition size. Your replies make no sense.

    >> This is usenet, what else do you expect?

    > You have a point there.

    I think the advice I gave you to let Win 7 manage itself was probably the
    best you're going to get. Here's an image of my drive configuration.

    http://bayimg.com/jAoNkAAcj

    Disc0 is Vista. Disc1 linux Disc2 Win 7.

    I don't see a reason to partition NTFS any other way besides what the
    operating system defaults to.

    Meat Plow, Aug 28, 2010
  11. pawihte

    Old Gringo38 Guest

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 22:15:52 +0530, pawihte wrote:

    > Old Gringo38 wrote:

    >>> That's why I took the time to explain my usage habits which I
    >>> expect the owner to emulate. I prefer to keep the OS partition
    >>> as
    >>> small as possible without being cramped for installation of
    >>> additional programs in the foreseeable future. This is
    >>> because
    >>> many unskilled users often mess up their system so badly that
    >>> complete reinstallation is the most practicable solution.
    >>>
    >>> I make a backup of the system drive, complete with drivers,
    >>> apps,
    >>> registration and personal preferences. Backup file size is
    >>> reduced to a minimum if no user data was saved on the system
    >>> drive. It also saves the hassle of sorting out all the clutter
    >>> that has to backed up on another drive in case the OS drive
    >>> has
    >>> to be formatted. This way, the entire system drive can be
    >>> restored in a few minutes.

    >> If knowing what what you want to do and why, the case should be
    >> closed
    >> before it was opened. JHC

    > I really don't understand what you're trying to say here. I've
    > explained at length how I usually use my OS partition, but not
    > being familiar with Windows 7, I asked for advice on choosing a
    > suitable partition size. Your replies make no sense.

    I kind of thought I was talking to a box of rocks from the beginning.
    --
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    Support Bacteria: It Is The Only Culture Some People Have.
    8/28/2010 12:41:52 PM CTZ
    Old Gringo38, Aug 28, 2010
  12. pawihte

    Dan C Guest

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 15:51:24 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 15:39:13 +0000, Dan C wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 20:29:58 +0530, pawihte wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm preparing a new hard disk for someone who will be using Win XP for
    >>> some time but may want to install 7 later. As I've never used Win 7
    >>> either, I'm not sure how large I should make the OS partition.
    >>>
    >>> For simplicity, let's assume that the owner can be expected to follow
    >>> my usage patterns: I always have My Documents on a non-OS partition,
    >>> disable hibernation and System Restore, and delete Windows SP backup
    >>> files. My pagefile is currently 3GB. For years, I found 10GB quite
    >>> enough for XP and all the programs I normally install, but more
    >>> recently increased that to 20GB, mostly because I occasionally place
    >>> several GBs temporarily on the desktop. Even then I seldom use more
    >>> than 10GB of the C: drive.
    >>>
    >>> So, taking those things into consideration, what do you suggest as the
    >>> system drive size that's not likely to require resizing for Win 7, but
    >>> without going overboard and thus unnecessarily reducing the space
    >>> available for data in other partitions? Thanks in advance.

    >> I'd say about 300 GB should be about right.

    > And where did you feltch that figure from, you're arse again?
    >
    > No need to slice you drive up into partitions. Let Windoze do what it
    > wants.

    Hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

    Typical Gates slave Win-droid talk. ROFL! Stupid!

    "Let Windoze do what it wants." A classic, indeed!

    Shit-fer-brains.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he called in an air strike.
    Dan C, Aug 28, 2010
  13. pawihte

    Dan C Guest

    Dan C, Aug 28, 2010
  14. pawihte

    pawihte Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 22:55:37 +0530, pawihte wrote:
    >
    >> Old Codger wrote:

    >>> This is usenet, what else do you expect?

    >> You have a point there.

    > I think the advice I gave you to let Win 7 manage itself was
    > probably
    > the best you're going to get. Here's an image of my drive
    > configuration.
    >
    > http://bayimg.com/jAoNkAAcj
    >
    > Disc0 is Vista. Disc1 linux Disc2 Win 7.
    >
    > I don't see a reason to partition NTFS any other way besides
    > what the
    > operating system defaults to.

    Thanks. At least *you* are trying to give a meaningful reply.
    You've used up about 200GB of your Win 7 boot drive. Can you give
    me a rough idea of how that amount of space is used up? I mean,
    is the majority of that space used for data or for the OS and
    apps?
    pawihte, Aug 28, 2010
  15. pawihte

    Dan C Guest

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 22:15:52 +0530, pawihte wrote:

    > Old Gringo38 wrote:

    >>> That's why I took the time to explain my usage habits which I expect
    >>> the owner to emulate. I prefer to keep the OS partition as
    >>> small as possible without being cramped for installation of additional
    >>> programs in the foreseeable future. This is because
    >>> many unskilled users often mess up their system so badly that a
    >>> complete reinstallation is the most practicable solution.
    >>>
    >>> I make a backup of the system drive, complete with drivers, apps,
    >>> registration and personal preferences. Backup file size is reduced to
    >>> a minimum if no user data was saved on the system drive. It also saves
    >>> the hassle of sorting out all the clutter that has to backed up on
    >>> another drive in case the OS drive has
    >>> to be formatted. This way, the entire system drive can be restored in
    >>> a few minutes.

    >> If knowing what what you want to do and why, the case should be closed
    >> before it was opened. JHC

    > I really don't understand what you're trying to say here. I've explained
    > at length how I usually use my OS partition, but not being familiar with
    > Windows 7, I asked for advice on choosing a suitable partition size.
    > Your replies make no sense.

    Jesus fucking Christ. Win7 is not any different than any other (recent)
    version of Windoze as far as how much space it needs. Just make it the
    same as it fucking was, or perhaps a little bigger due to the Windoze
    bloat factor with each "new" release. ****, don't be so fucking stupid.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he found Earl in his honey pot.
    Dan C, Aug 28, 2010
  16. pawihte

    Meat Plow Guest

    **** off troll

    Meat Plow, Aug 28, 2010
  17. pawihte

    pawihte Guest

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 22:15:52 +0530, pawihte wrote:
    >
    >> Old Gringo38 wrote:

    >>> If knowing what what you want to do and why, the case should
    >>> be
    >>> closed before it was opened. JHC

    >> I really don't understand what you're trying to say here. I've
    >> explained at length how I usually use my OS partition, but not
    >> being
    >> familiar with Windows 7, I asked for advice on choosing a
    >> suitable
    >> partition size. Your replies make no sense.

    > Jesus fucking Christ. Win7 is not any different than any other
    > (recent) version of Windoze as far as how much space it needs.
    > Just
    > make it the same as it fucking was, or perhaps a little bigger
    > due to
    > the Windoze bloat factor with each "new" release. ****, don't
    > be so
    > fucking stupid.

    The bloat factor is exactly what I was asking about. Moron.
    pawihte, Aug 28, 2010
  18. pawihte

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 23:31:49 +0530, pawihte wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> You have a point there.

    >> I think the advice I gave you to let Win 7 manage itself was probably
    >> the best you're going to get. Here's an image of my drive
    >> configuration.
    >>
    >> http://bayimg.com/jAoNkAAcj
    >>
    >> Disc0 is Vista. Disc1 linux Disc2 Win 7.
    >>
    >> I don't see a reason to partition NTFS any other way besides what the
    >> operating system defaults to.

    > Thanks. At least *you* are trying to give a meaningful reply. You've
    > used up about 200GB of your Win 7 boot drive. Can you give me a rough
    > idea of how that amount of space is used up? I mean, is the majority of
    > that space used for data or for the OS and apps?

    Only mod I made was to keep as much data out of my user profile as
    possible. It's documented that a large user profile data store can slow
    down your PC. I've made folders for pictures, music and video not in the
    default place where applications want to store them /my documents/music
    /my documents/pictures etc... Never been a good idea to store huge
    amounts of data there. Most of that 200 is audio files I work on for a
    music studio. These are raw wav files.

    Meat Plow, Aug 28, 2010
  19. pawihte

    Meat Plow Guest

    **** off troll

    Meat Plow, Aug 28, 2010
  20. pawihte

    joevan Guest

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 23:43:27 +0530, "pawihte" <>
    wrote:

    >Dan C wrote:

    >>> I really don't understand what you're trying to say here. I've
    >>> explained at length how I usually use my OS partition, but not
    >>> being
    >>> familiar with Windows 7, I asked for advice on choosing a
    >>> suitable
    >>> partition size. Your replies make no sense.

    >> Jesus fucking Christ. Win7 is not any different than any other
    >> (recent) version of Windoze as far as how much space it needs.
    >> Just
    >> make it the same as it fucking was, or perhaps a little bigger
    >> due to
    >> the Windoze bloat factor with each "new" release. ****, don't
    >> be so
    >> fucking stupid.

    >The bloat factor is exactly what I was asking about. Moron.

    All Morons are trolls, and all trolls are idiots.
    BTW FWIWorth. My windows takes up about 14 gigs after about 6 months
    with win 7. My c drive has used up 63 gigs total with all the added
    files I have put on it, that includes the 14 gigs for windows 7.
    joevan, Aug 28, 2010