    Can anyone point me at a free partition resizer that will work with
    XP?

    Cheers IB
    Ian Boag, Feb 6, 2006

  2. In article <>, says...

    > Can anyone point me at a free partition resizer that will work with
    > XP?
    >
    > Cheers IB

    Windows XP's disk management tool.

    -> control panel
    -> administrative tools
    -> computer management
    ->[+] storage
    -> disk management

    really easy to find <wink>

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Feb 6, 2006

  3. Ian Boag

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "Ian Boag" <> wrote in message
    >I just bought a DSE Acer cheapie laptop. No problems - it'll do the
    > job BUT it came with the 40 GB drive partitioned in half. The D
    > partition held Acer setup software which was deleted after first use.
    >
    > I don't want two partitions, so I need to resize C. I know that
    > Partition Magic and a few other commercial progs will do this but I
    > don't want to buy the prog just to use it once - if there's any other
    > way.
    >
    > Can anyone point me at a free partition resizer that will work with
    > XP?
    >
    > Cheers IB

    *cough* download off a torrent website *cough*
    ;-)

    KB
    Krazy Bob, Feb 6, 2006
  4. Ian Boag

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> Can anyone point me at a free partition resizer that will work with
    >> XP?
    >>
    >> Cheers IB

    > Windows XP's disk management tool.
    >
    > -> control panel
    > -> administrative tools
    > -> computer management
    > ->[+] storage
    > -> disk management
    >
    > really easy to find <wink>

    Even easier, right-click My Computer and select 'manage' and go from there.
    Cuts out a few clicks.

    However, I don't think you can re-size partitions there without destroying
    them and losing data can you? I don't see the option. Maybe there's an MS
    download / powertoy I don't have?
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 7, 2006
  5. Ian Boag

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 19:19:50 GMT, (Ian Boag) wrote:

    >I just bought a DSE Acer cheapie laptop. No problems - it'll do the
    >job BUT it came with the 40 GB drive partitioned in half. The D
    >partition held Acer setup software which was deleted after first use.
    >
    >I don't want two partitions, so I need to resize C. I know that
    >Partition Magic and a few other commercial progs will do this but I
    >don't want to buy the prog just to use it once - if there's any other
    >way.
    >
    >Can anyone point me at a free partition resizer that will work with
    >XP?

    The trial version of BootIt NG from www.bootitng.com will do that.

    When you run it, remember to bypass the 'install on your hard drive' option.
    That's for the boot manager feature which you don't need.

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Feb 7, 2006
  6. Ian Boag

    Mark Guest

    >>> Can anyone point me at a free partition resizer that will work with
    >>> XP?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers IB

    >> Windows XP's disk management tool.
    >>
    >> -> control panel
    >> -> administrative tools
    >> -> computer management
    >> ->[+] storage
    >> -> disk management
    >>
    >> really easy to find <wink>

    >Even easier, right-click My Computer and select 'manage' and go from there.
    >Cuts out a few clicks.
    >
    >However, I don't think you can re-size partitions there without destroying
    >them and losing data can you? I don't see the option. Maybe there's an MS
    >download / powertoy I don't have?

    You can't resize partitions in XP without using a special programme
    (so the above won't work) - Partition Magic works great - although I
    have a feeling there's something in Knoppix (a free cd-bootable linux
    distro) that will do it for free.

    Cheers,

    Mark
    Mark, Feb 7, 2006
  7. Ian Boag

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Dave Taylor, Feb 7, 2006
  8. Ian Boag

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    ess says...
    > In article <>, says...
    > >
    > > Can anyone point me at a free partition resizer that will work with
    > > XP?
    > >
    > > Cheers IB

    > Windows XP's disk management tool.
    >
    > -> control panel
    > -> administrative tools
    > -> computer management
    > ->[+] storage
    > -> disk management
    >
    > really easy to find <wink>

    Can it make a new partition on an existing volume i.e. make the existing
    one smaller to make room for a new one?
    Rob J, Feb 7, 2006
  9. Ian Boag

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Feb 7, 2006
  10. Ian Boag

    Mark Guest

    >Can it make a new partition on an existing volume i.e. make the existing
    >one smaller to make room for a new one?

    If you have free space on the end of the disk - yes you can make a new
    partition.

    Though, you can't resize (ie make a partition smaller, or larger) with
    xp's tho.

    Cheers,

    Mark
    Mark, Feb 8, 2006
  11. Ian Boag

    Crash Guest

    Ian Boag wrote:
    > I just bought a DSE Acer cheapie laptop. No problems - it'll do the
    > job BUT it came with the 40 GB drive partitioned in half. The D
    > partition held Acer setup software which was deleted after first use.
    >
    > I don't want two partitions, so I need to resize C. I know that
    > Partition Magic and a few other commercial progs will do this but I
    > don't want to buy the prog just to use it once - if there's any other
    > way.
    >
    > Can anyone point me at a free partition resizer that will work with
    > XP?

    For what its worth I also had reservations about buying and using Partition
    Manager for the same reasons - but I went ahead and bought it anyway.

    The payback has been substantial, although I maintain more partitions than you
    do (4).

    My knowledge of disks and partitions is very basic. I use PM about every 6
    months or so and never have problems figuring out how to use it - it is so
    intuitive although some things take a few minutes to remember how to do it.
    With PM when a partition gets to full you have the option of deleting files or
    resizing partitions - it is just so handy to be able to do this anytime the need
    arises. Data is never lost in resizing partitions.

    IIRC I saw PM 8 for around $80 a few weeks ago on Trademe so it is not all that
    expensive. I really do suggest you consider buying this.

    Crash.
    Crash, Feb 8, 2006