partition on hard drive - please help

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Richard, Jul 4, 2003.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    I am running windows 98 se. Problem:

    I set up a friends computer incorrectly. His 20GB hard drive only has
    2GB capacity.

    I ran FDisk to discover the remaining 18GN waiting to be formatted and
    partitioned. Firstly is there anyway to do this without reformatting
    the whole thing. I tried it running through what I think are the
    correct steps and recieved the following error afterwards:

    "Write protect error writing fixed disk"

    How can I solve this?

    Another solution I tried was using Ranish Partition Manager. However
    when I went to save the changes I recieved the following message:

    "Error writing MBR or EMBR to disk."

    Is this the same problem as before? What can I do.

    Any help would be so greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

    Richard
    Richard, Jul 4, 2003

  2. Richard

    paul s Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > I am running windows 98 se. Problem:
    >
    > I set up a friends computer incorrectly. His 20GB hard drive only has
    > 2GB capacity.

    Sounds like the HD is partitioned as FAT and not FAT32.

    > I ran FDisk to discover the remaining 18GN waiting to be formatted and
    > partitioned. Firstly is there anyway to do this without reformatting
    > the whole thing. I tried it running through what I think are the
    > correct steps and recieved the following error afterwards:
    >
    > "Write protect error writing fixed disk"
    >
    > How can I solve this?
    >
    > Another solution I tried was using Ranish Partition Manager. However
    > when I went to save the changes I recieved the following message:
    >
    > "Error writing MBR or EMBR to disk."

    Partition Magic V8 should be able to do want you want. Alternatively as
    you've only got a max of 2GB of data/programs on the HD, backup what you
    need (do you have a CD burner?), repartition the whole HD as FAT32 and
    reinstall 98 + whatever.
    --
    Paul S
    paul s, Jul 4, 2003

  3. Richard

    Shep© Guest

    On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 22:12:43 +0100, In this world we created
    "johnfletch" <> wrote :

    >win 98 se has a fat 32 convertor in accessories
    >tried it on my 6 gig drive ok
    >cheers, john

    This will only convert the existing partition.It will not resize the
    partition to fix the OP's problem :/
    User needs 3rd party software like Partition Manager or Paragon
    Partition Manager.
    There is a free partitioning resizer program called,"Ranish Partition
    Manager" however last time I looked and tried to use it,it's not,"User
    Friendly".

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Free songs download,
    Shep©, Jul 4, 2003
  4. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Shep© <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 22:12:43 +0100, In this world we created
    > "johnfletch" <> wrote :
    >
    > >win 98 se has a fat 32 convertor in accessories
    > >tried it on my 6 gig drive ok
    > >cheers, john

    > This will only convert the existing partition.It will not resize the
    > partition to fix the OP's problem :/
    > User needs 3rd party software like Partition Manager or Paragon
    > Partition Manager.
    > There is a free partitioning resizer program called,"Ranish Partition
    > Manager" however last time I looked and tried to use it,it's not,"User
    > Friendly".
    >

    > >"paul s" <> wrote in message

    > >> Sounds like the HD is partitioned as FAT and not FAT32.

    > >> Partition Magic V8 should be able to do want you want. Alternatively as
    > >> you've only got a max of 2GB of data/programs on the HD, backup what you
    > >> need (do you have a CD burner?), repartition the whole HD as FAT32 and
    > >> reinstall 98 + whatever.
    > >> --

    Hi thanks. I tried using Ranish if you see my post above and
    encountered those problems.

    Thanks

    Richard

    Richard, Jul 5, 2003