  1. I have a machine with XP64 installed. I plan on installing windows 7 64 bit
    on a new partition. What software can I use to create my new partition on
    XP64?

    Stumblingblock, Nov 8, 2009

  2. Your best bet is actually Windows 7 itself. There are partition managers out
    there, but they don't really behave all that well with Windows 7, IMHO. But
    if you boot off the Win7 disk, and go into advanced options at the disk page
    of the installation program, you should have an option to shrink an existing
    partition and create a new one.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 8, 2009

  3. Stumblingblock

    John Barnes Guest

    I would try Charlie's advice first, but often there are unmovable files in a
    section of an existing partition which cause there to be insufficient free
    space to create the partition you need for Win7. There are products from
    Terrabyte, Acronis and Symantec which can move the files and provide more
    free space. I would do the final creation of the Win7 partition using the
    Win7 product during the install process. Create the new partition and
    format it when they ask you where you want to install Win7.

    John Barnes, Nov 9, 2009
  4. Yes, I've seen that. Though if you keep your disks well defragmented with
    something like PerfectDisk, it seems to be less of a problem. IAC, if you do
    choose to use a third party product, as John suggests, then follow the whole
    suggestion. ;) Use the third party disk manager (Acronis would be my choice)
    to shrink your existing partition and create free space on that disk. Then
    use the Windows 7 install process to create the new partition and install
    Win7 on it. This will get around the most common issues with 3rd party disk
    manipulation tools.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 9, 2009
  5. Stumblingblock

    rak Guest

    I've had success with Paragon and GParted Live

    rak, Nov 9, 2009
  6. The built-in shrink utility will be able to decrease the partition size till
    it bumps against the first unmovable/locked system file.

    If you want to decrease the partition further you will need a 3rd party Disk
    Management tool. I use Acronis Disk Director suite (Ver 10.0.2239).
    It is 100% Vista compatible.

    After installing the above program, create the emergency CD. Reboot the
    computer and boot up with this CD. Do your partition work from there.

    You will not be hampered with locked files.
    --

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP

    Richard Urban, Nov 9, 2009
  7. Partition Magic works on 64 bit XP?
    Can someone confirm that? AFAIK, it works on 32 bit XP and nothing later

    Stumblingblock, Nov 13, 2009
  8. Stumblingblock

    John Barnes Guest

    Just remember that 'runs' and 'works' are two different animals. If you
    have an earlier version that is not Vista compatible, it runs, but many
    posters noted that later they had serious partition problems that required a
    reinstall. The version of NTFS is different but the subtle differences do
    not necessarily show up immediately. Therefore, as Charlie and I mentioned
    earlier, do the creation of the new partition with Win7 and format it. Does
    only a quick format.

    John Barnes, Nov 14, 2009
  9. Agreed. Runs, yes. And appears to work. But we've seen enough later issues
    that I strongly recommend using Win7 itself to do the partition creation.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 18, 2009