Partition Magic Problem?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Luke O'Malley, Jun 13, 2007.

  1. I had a HD crash because my PC shut down abruptly. The WD utilities judged
    the disk OK. I want to format FAT32. I though I could just use my laptop
    to do it but I found it will only format NTFS - as far as I could find out.
    I then turned to Partition Magic deleted the existing flawed partition and
    installed a new one FAT 32

    When I was finished I was given the following results:
    Primary unallocated 7.8MB
    Primary Extended 196,000 MB
    Logical FAT32 196,000 MB
    Primary Unallocated 41, 864.7MB

    Since it is a 250GB drive I would really like to have all or most of that
    space in a single patition. I checked the internet and could only find
    articles that took the unallocated and changed it into another drive. Is it
    possible, what I am looking for?

    How do I do it?

    Goodwill,
    Luke

    Toshiba Satellite 500MBRAM , 80GB ROM, Pentium 4
    MS XP Home with upgrades.
    Luke O'Malley, Jun 13, 2007

  2. Luke O'Malley

    Vanguard Guest

    "Luke O'Malley" <> wrote in message
    >I had a HD crash because my PC shut down abruptly. The WD utilities
    >judged the disk OK. I want to format FAT32. I though I could just
    >use my laptop to do it but I found it will only format NTFS - as far as
    >I could find out. I then turned to Partition Magic deleted the existing
    >flawed partition and installed a new one FAT 32

    <snip>

    Post 4 of 4 (all the same) sent all of 1 minute after post 3 or 3
    minutes after post 2 or 4 minutes after post 1.

    This is Usenet. Not a prattler's chat room. Learn to use Usenet.
    You've become a pest with 4 repeated identical posts.
    Vanguard, Jun 13, 2007

  3. Luke O'Malley

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 19:01:38 -0400, "Luke O'Malley"
    <> wrote:

    >How do I do it?

    Return your computer to the place you bought it from.
    Evan Platt, Jun 13, 2007
  4. Luke O'Malley wrote:
    > I had a HD crash because my PC shut down abruptly. The WD utilities judged

    Are you just trying to piss people off?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 13, 2007
  5. Luke O'Malley

    philo Guest

    > I had a HD crash because my PC shut down abruptly. The WD utilities

    judged
    > the disk OK. I want to format FAT32. I though I could just use my

    laptop
    > to do it but I found it will only format NTFS - as far as I could find

    out.
    > I then turned to Partition Magic deleted the existing flawed partition and
    > installed a new one FAT 32
    >
    > When I was finished I was given the following results:
    > Primary unallocated 7.8MB
    > Primary Extended 196,000 MB
    > Logical FAT32 196,000 MB
    > Primary Unallocated 41, 864.7MB
    >
    > Since it is a 250GB drive I would really like to have all or most of that
    > space in a single patition. I checked the internet and could only find
    > articles that took the unallocated and changed it into another drive. Is

    it
    > possible, what I am looking for?
    >
    > How do I do it?

    Due to very poor cluster size , it would not be a good idea to use a 250 gig
    fat32 partition...

    I'd definately go with NTFS (assuming you are not still running win98)

    philo, Jun 13, 2007
  6. In article ,
    "Vanguard" <> said:
    -->
[...]
    Perhaps you can help me that problem too. I was given a msg from my
    program that my posting did not go through because . . . But it
    seems it did. Perhaps if you used the site to help rather than an
    opportunity to criticize. Don't assume the worst of people and you
    will be right more times than you will be wrong. I apologize for
    all the problems I created through my error.
    Sincerely,
    Luke
    Luke O'Malley, Jun 13, 2007
  7. In article ,
    Evan Platt <> said:
    -->
    -->On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 19:01:38 -0400, "Luke O'Malley"
    --><> wrote:
    -->
    -->>How do I do it?
    -->
    -->Return your computer to the place you bought it from.
    -->--
    -->To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
    -->
    -->

    How about the external drive, Should I keep it?

    Luke O'Malley, Jun 13, 2007
  9. In article ,
    "Vanguard" <> said:
    -->
    -->
[...]

    I just counted nine replies of criticism, but not one offer of a
    solution. Why do some participants in this group assume the worst
    and then act on it. It is a site for people with problems. Obvious
    to me, I am also having problems with the program I am using to
    post. It is almost as if there are sine people out there looking
    for something they find objectionable so that they can fan their ego
    with a disparaging remark intended to put themselve on a higher
    plane than the person making the inquiry. Now that you have done
    that, do you have any positive suggestion to help me with my
    problem. If not - go to hell!
    Luke O'Malley, Jun 13, 2007
  10. In article ,
    Evan Platt <> said:
    -->
    -->
    -->On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 19:01:38 -0400, "Luke O'Malley"
    --><> wrote:
    -->
    -->>How do I do it?
    -->

    Luke O'Malley, Jun 13, 2007
  12. Luke O'Malley

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 01:05:12 GMT, Luke O'Malley
    <> wrote:

    >Perhaps you can help me that problem too. I was given a msg from my
    >program that my posting did not go through because . . .

    Hmm. The exact wording of that message would help.

    >Perhaps if you used the site to help rather than an
    >opportunity to criticize.

    What site?
    Evan Platt, Jun 13, 2007
  13. Luke O'Malley wrote:

    > I am also having problems with the program I am using to post.

    That's obvious. Why don't you use a real newsreader instead of
    communications program? (I mentioned this to you a long time ago.) Pick
    one that can quote properly. All those non-standard "-->" make your
    replies hard to read, and even harder to reply to.

    http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#newsreaders

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 13, 2007
  14. Luke O'Malley

    samuel Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in

    > Luke O'Malley wrote:
    >
    >> I am also having problems with the program I am using to
    >> post.

    > That's obvious. Why don't you use a real newsreader instead of
    > communications program? (I mentioned this to you a long time
    > ago.) Pick one that can quote properly. All those non-standard
    > "-->" make your replies hard to read, and even harder to reply
    > to.

    he won't get rid of those "-->" ! been asked too many times
    and won't listen

    they must look terrific to him and no one else

    samuel, Jun 13, 2007
  15. Luke O'Malley

    > In article ,
    > "Vanguard" <> said:
    > -->
    > -->"Luke O'Malley" <> wrote in message
    > -->news:mBFbi.3085$...
    > -->>I had a HD crash because my PC shut down abruptly. The WD
    > -->utilities
    > -->>judged the disk OK. I want to format FAT32. I though I could
    > -->just
    > -->>use my laptop to do it but I found it will only format NTFS - as
    > -->far as
    > -->>I could find out. I then turned to Partition Magic deleted the
    > -->existing
    > -->>flawed partition and installed a new one FAT 32
    > -->
    > --><snip>
    > -->
    > -->Post 4 of 4 (all the same) sent all of 1 minute after post 3 or 3
    > -->minutes after post 2 or 4 minutes after post 1.
    > -->
    > -->This is Usenet. Not a prattler's chat room. Learn to use
    > -->Usenet.
    > -->You've become a pest with 4 repeated identical posts.
    > -->
    > -->
    > -->
    > Perhaps you can help me that problem too. I was given a msg from my
    > program that my posting did not go through because . . . But it
    > seems it did.

    Configure your Procomm Plus so it uses just *one* quote character (i.e.,
    ">") when quoting the original message. The "-->" is not really a legit
    quote character since only one is supposed to be used. Some folks use
    "|" but then the standard is ">" so they just screw up the quote levels
    by mixing different characters for indenting the quoted sections.

    Some server issue bogus messages about errors in posting. AIOE.org is
    one. It will say that it rejected a post when it fact it accepted it
    and it will show up. The error message they send should be changed to a
    warning (the owner of that NNTP is using anti-spam schemes that are not
    RFC compliant but then it is his personal server to putz and futz it
    over as he pleases). You will need to contact whomever is the owner or
    admin for whatever NNTP server you use (cv.net) to get them to correct
    their problem. It could be you are using an antiquated newsreader, too.
    It has to be over a decade since I used that program (I think it was to
    dial into a telnet server). Windows has a telnet client or you can get
    the HyperTerminal PE upgrade for free, and Windows has its own dial-up
    manager, so I don't see why anyone would still be using Procomm.

    > Perhaps if you used the site to help rather than an
    > opportunity to criticize. Don't assume the worst of people and you
    > will be right more times than you will be wrong. I apologize for
    > all the problems I created through my error.

    Usenet is not a site. We don't know what you used to connect or what
    NNTP server you used to post to Usenet. I'm not inclined to dig through
    the PATH header to decipher who operates what hosts included in that
    path. Obviously you aren't very old to know just what to expect of
    people, especially when there are no consequences to their posts in
    Usenet (i.e., total freedom engenders anarchy, not cooperation).

    As to your original problem, why are you creating an extended partition
    and then creating a logical drive within it? Why don't you want to
    create a primary partition? Did the drive already have a primary
    partition that you wanted to keep? If so, only one primary partition
    can be marked active at a time and only the active primary one can be
    used (which is handy for hiding operating systems from each other if
    done right); however, extended partitions can all be accessed (with
    however many logical drives are defined within them) regardless of which
    primary partition is currently marked as active. It sounds like you
    wanted one single partition to span your entire physical hard disk so
    why didn't you create an extended partition instead of a primary one?
    Vanguard, Jun 13, 2007
  16. Luke O'Malley

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 01:15:18 +0000, Luke O'Malley wrote:

    > It is a site for people with problems.

    What site?

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007.1 and Ubuntu 7.04

    the other English teams put together :)
    Aardvark, Jun 13, 2007
  17. "Luke O'Malley" <> wrote in message
    >I had a HD crash because my PC shut down abruptly. The WD utilities judged
    >the disk OK. I want to format FAT32. I though I could just use my laptop
    >to do it but I found it will only format NTFS - as far as I could find out.
    >I then turned to Partition Magic deleted the existing flawed partition and
    >installed a new one FAT 32
    >
    > When I was finished I was given the following results:
    > Primary unallocated 7.8MB
    > Primary Extended 196,000 MB
    > Logical FAT32 196,000 MB
    > Primary Unallocated 41, 864.7MB
    >
    > Since it is a 250GB drive I would really like to have all or most of that
    > space in a single patition. I checked the internet and could only find
    > articles that took the unallocated and changed it into another drive. Is
    > it possible, what I am looking for?
    >
    > How do I do it?
    >
    > Goodwill,
    > Luke
    >
    > Toshiba Satellite 500MBRAM , 80GB ROM, Pentium 4
    > MS XP Home with upgrades.

    format and start all over
    ask your mom and dad to help you
    they probably will
    Sunshine Superstudent, Jun 14, 2007
  18. Luke O'Malley

    Gaius Baltar Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I had a HD crash because my PC shut down abruptly. The WD utilities judged
    >the disk OK. I want to format FAT32. I though I could just use my laptop
    >to do it but I found it will only format NTFS - as far as I could find out.
    >I then turned to Partition Magic deleted the existing flawed partition and
    >installed a new one FAT 32
    >
    >When I was finished I was given the following results:
    >Primary unallocated 7.8MB
    >Primary Extended 196,000 MB
    >Logical FAT32 196,000 MB
    >Primary Unallocated 41, 864.7MB
    >
    >Since it is a 250GB drive I would really like to have all or most of that
    >space in a single patition. I checked the internet and could only find
    >articles that took the unallocated and changed it into another drive. Is it
    >possible, what I am looking for?
    >
    >How do I do it?

    I'd like to know that also.

    I tried something very similar to what you are doing - create a single
    maximum size FAT32 partition on a 250 GB HD using PM8 and got the same
    result. It's not possible (apparently) to create a FAT-32 partition
    larger than 196,600.1 MB - I've tried to on a few different PCs with
    different HDs and always got the same result.

    This is puzzling as FAT-32 supports partitions up to 4 TB.

    There is very little/nothing significant on the Net re this prob.

    Any "answer" always reduces to "Use NTFS not FAT32"

    Why do you want FAT-32 anyway? I wanted it so I could order files in a
    certain way before ZIPing. NTFS always orders files by Name.

    gb
    Gaius Baltar, Jun 14, 2007