Partition Magic 8 Merge Problem !!!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ~S~, Jun 10, 2004.

  1. ~S~

    ~S~ Guest

    Hi

    I was merging 2 equal-sized partitions on my USB2.0
    external Maxtor 80gig drive, having used Partition
    Magic 8 many times with no probs ever.

    It appeared to freeze during the merge process at
    around 17% of total process, so I went out for 2
    hours to be sure.

    When I next checked it was at 24% and I again
    watched it for 1/2 hour with no motion, so I assumed frozen, and rebooted
    the USB
    drive. Fine.

    Now XP does not see the drive in windows, tho i dloaded testdisk (a dos
    prog) and
    it sees the second partition and provides this info:____________

    TestDisk 5.3, Data Recovery Utility, May 2004

    Christophe GRENIER
    http://www.cgsecurity.org

    Disk /dev/sdb - CHS 9964 255 63 - 78159 MB
    Check current partition structure

    Partition Start End Size

    1 P FAT32 LBA 0 1 1 4996 254 63 80276742 [STORE 1]
    2 E extended LBA 4997 0 1 9963 254 63 79794855

    No partition is bootable
    5 L PMagic recovery 4997 1 1 9963 254 63 79794792

    [ Quit ]
    *=Primary bootable P=Primary L=Logical E=Extended D=Deleted
    Quit this section
    _________________________________

    Upon restoring Partma 8 it says it has detected an
    improper shutdown and is searching for 'recovery markers', yet it just keeps
    searching
    and searching.....

    Any ideas??
    Thx

    Seph

    ~S~, Jun 10, 2004

  2. ~S~

    Charles Guest

    Hello "~S~"

    I had problems after a PM* Merge - all my files seemed intact when viewed
    via Norton Commander under DOS, but I couldn't get into Windows ...
    eventually found a mention in the PM8 Help files saying that sometimes the
    system files get displaced in a merge.

    The cure is to run sys.com - boot your system from your Startup/Rescue
    floppy, and at the DOS prompt a:\ type sys.com c:\ This places the sytem
    files at the start of the drive.

    It worked for me ... best of luck.

    Charles.

    Charles, Jun 11, 2004

  3. ~S~

    ~S~ Guest

    groovy, except if you read what i wrote, there are no system files, this is
    not an os drive.
    thx anyway

    ~S~

    anyone else?

    ~S~, Jun 11, 2004
  4. ~S~

    ~S~ Guest

    Creeping Christ, I recovered my hard disk!

    Just wanna report in that I did finally find a great program that is able to
    recover
    all my files perfectly, and should be useful to anyone in same situation.
    Its called getbackdata for fat (or ntfs)(GBDFF), and after an hour scan it
    showed
    me all the recovered files in a list that was saveable. I sent in my credit
    card
    payment for a licence, and had access to all my files. Most of this last
    sentence
    is true.

    I am right in the middle of copying back all the saved files to another
    drive so
    I can reformat/repartition the drive again.

    Also tried using 'Recover my Files'(RMF) another prog of same type. Here's
    the comparison:

    GBDFF works and took 1 hour for scan.
    RMF took 16 hours, froze at 97% and was totally useless, also did not
    recover names
    at all or directories.
    GBDFF is recovering both at about 70% success rate in naming files. Other
    30% is
    misnamed or lost.

    Better than I could have hoped.

    ~S~

    ~S~, Jun 12, 2004
  5. ~S~

    °Mike° Guest

    Re: Creeping Christ, I recovered my hard disk!

    That would be GetDataBack (not gebackdata).
    http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 12:36:58 -0400, in
    <UiGyc.180422$>
    ~S~ scrawled:

    >Just wanna report in that I did finally find a great program that
    >is able to recover all my files perfectly, and should be useful to
    >anyone in same situation.
    >Its called getbackdata for fat (or ntfs)(GBDFF)

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 12, 2004
  6. ~S~

    ~S~ Guest

    Re: Creeping Christ, I recovered my hard disk!

    true

    im winsowd ydxelics

    *-)

    ~S~

    awesome program!

    ~S~, Jun 12, 2004
  7. Re: Creeping Christ, I recovered my hard disk!

    ~S~ wrote:

    > Just wanna report in that I did finally find a great program that is able to
    > recover
    > all my files perfectly, and should be useful to anyone in same situation.

    Good...

    > GBDFF is recovering both at about 70% success rate in naming files. Other
    > 30% is
    > misnamed or lost.

    ....but how does one reconcile "able to recover all my files perfectly"
    and "70% success rate...and other 30% is misnamed or lost"

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    AOL Diary http://snipurl.com/aoldiary

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 12, 2004
  8. ~S~

    °Mike° Guest

    Re: Creeping Christ, I recovered my hard disk!

    On 12 Jun 2004 20:23:36 GMT, in
    <>
    Blinky the Shark scrawled:

    >~S~ wrote:
    >
    >> Just wanna report in that I did finally find a great program that is able to
    >> recover
    >> all my files perfectly, and should be useful to anyone in same situation.

    >Good...
    >
    >> GBDFF is recovering both at about 70% success rate in naming files. Other
    >> 30% is
    >> misnamed or lost.

    >...but how does one reconcile "able to recover all my files perfectly"
    >and "70% success rate...and other 30% is misnamed or lost"

    There's always failures in recovering in this way, as the
    software is reading the disk RAW, not from the file system;
    it will be including previously deleted files.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 12, 2004
  9. ~S~

    ~S~ Guest

    Re: Creeping Christ, I recovered my hard disk!

    I knew someone would call me on that 70%...I was tired, but really, I got
    all back better than I could have hoped. Just a few misnames, and have to
    redo directory structures. Big deal. To me its 100%.

    also:
    >And also backing up the files that you already had, right?
    >I mean, you need to save the ones that were trashed, but you probably
    >also need to save files you didn't trash, like downloads, installers,
    >and all kinds of data files.

    Almost none were trashed. I was doing a partition merge, and lost the
    partitions info, they had no drive letters assigned anymore, that being the
    most obvious prob.

    I had meant to try assigning drive letter names again once I moved/copied
    all the recovered data to my other partitions/drives, but I forgot once I
    had it done, and went straight to reformat. Silly me, but I figured I had
    spent nuff time already and was 6am.

    But hell I saw the way it recovered, and how come some folders were
    recovered empty then the files were found in another sector. Shows you what
    a fragmented drive is all about! lol

    Man,
    I had all my movies, digital photos, band backups mp3's, apps storage, I am
    most certainly glad to have recovered.

    I keep ghost images of my whole c drive but never for other drives. Probably
    still won't, but I will bloody use the boot disks in future.
    Maybe. I'm lazy, and tend to enjoy the problem-solving part of repairs too
    much for my own good. Also noted that the prog seemed to have a handle on if
    I needed to recreate a bootable os partition, which I thankfully did not
    have to find out whether it works.

    ~S~

    ~S~, Jun 12, 2004
  10. Re: Creeping Christ, I recovered my hard disk!

    ~S~ wrote:

    > I knew someone would call me on that 70%...I was tired, but really, I got
    > all back better than I could have hoped. Just a few misnames, and have to
    > redo directory structures. Big deal. To me its 100%.

    I'd like to buy all of your $100 bills for $70 each. Where shall we
    meet? :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 13, 2004
  11. ~S~

    ~S~ Guest

    Re: Creeping Christ, I recovered my hard disk!

    Send your $70US (* x) to

    S. Nipol
    345 Beaconsfield road
    Montreal, Quebec
    H9a 1a7

    Ty

    I will send your $100 bills to any address you wish!

    ~S~, Jun 13, 2004
  12. ~S~

    ~S~ Guest

    ~S~, Jun 13, 2004
  13. Re: Creeping Christ, I recovered my hard disk!

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 13, 2004