    --
    Seagull ~'~
    To reply please un-munge the address.
    Seagull, Oct 19, 2003

  2. Seagull

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Seagull" <> wrote in message
    news:h2pkb.1705$...
    > There was a discussion on this newsgroup earlier in the year about PC
    > Authority
    > April 2003 having Partition Magic 6 on the coverdisk.
    >
    > As a result I rushed out and bought the magazine.
    > I have just tried to use the programme and found it needed registration
    > which was a one month special so I can not use it Grrrrrrr!
    >
    > Can any kind sole who registered help me out with the generic serial
    > number?

    That bites. I bought that issue mainly for that proggy too. I don't usually
    buy PC Authority. I haven't installed my copy or registered it either as it
    doesn't work on XP and I don't have a 9x machine running at the moment.

    I'll second the request for a serial.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Oct 19, 2003

  3. Seagull

    geoffm Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:41:07 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his-desk.com>
    wrote:

    >"Seagull" <> wrote in message
    >> There was a discussion on this newsgroup earlier in the year about PC
    >> Authority
    >> April 2003 having Partition Magic 6 on the coverdisk.
    >>
    >> As a result I rushed out and bought the magazine.
    >> I have just tried to use the programme and found it needed registration
    >> which was a one month special so I can not use it Grrrrrrr!
    >>
    >> Can any kind sole who registered help me out with the generic serial
    >> number?

    >That bites. I bought that issue mainly for that proggy too. I don't usually
    >buy PC Authority. I haven't installed my copy or registered it either as it
    >doesn't work on XP and I don't have a 9x machine running at the moment.
    >
    >I'll second the request for a serial.

    Try searching on www.astalavista.com - watch out for porn ( and
    diallers on some sites.) More specifically PM600ENSP1-11111131 from
    http://www.darkserials.com/search.php. dunno if it works
    geoff
    geoffm, Oct 19, 2003
  4. Seagull

    Tim Guest

    I thought partition magic was at version 8 at least?

    Tim, Oct 19, 2003
  5. Seagull

    pete Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message
    > I thought partition magic was at version 8 at least?

    It probably is but that would be the retail version. Magazine cover CDs
    usually contain outdated, or crippled versions. There's a reason that the
    software is free.

    pete, Oct 19, 2003
  6. Seagull

    XPD Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message
    > I thought partition magic was at version 8 at least?

    Yeah it is but dont think theyd let a magazine throw that onto a coverdisk
    in a hurry :)

    If they did, Id be the 1st in line to buy that mag from my local store :)
    XPD, Oct 19, 2003
  7. Seagull

    Tim Guest

    i'll still to fileshare, it's free too.... j/k :p

    Tim, Oct 19, 2003
  8. Seagull

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <h2pkb.1705$>,
    says...
    > There was a discussion on this newsgroup earlier in the year about PC
    > Authority
    > April 2003 having Partition Magic 6 on the coverdisk.
    >
    > As a result I rushed out and bought the magazine.
    > I have just tried to use the programme and found it needed registration
    > which was a one month special so I can not use it Grrrrrrr!
    >
    > Can any kind sole who registered help me out with the generic serial
    > number?

    Is this group called alt.xxx.xx. warez or something?
    Mainlander, Oct 20, 2003
  9. Seagull

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Mainlander" wrote
    > Is this group called alt.xxx.xx. warez or something?

    Seems to be recently.
    T.N.O., Oct 20, 2003
  10. Seagull

    Tim Guest

    > i'll still to fileshare, it's free too.... j/k :p

    grr "stick" not still. sleepy boy...

    Actually I downloaded version 8 of partition magic from kazaa a long long
    time ago. Had a quick play at the time, thought it was kinda slick, had
    matured quite nicely, etc.

    Never used it since! If i need to repartition i'm quite happy to use the
    basic windows partition tool. Anything more advanced and i'll use dos tools,
    eg Ranish Partition manager. If i need to resize NTFS partitions i'll use
    'Bootit NG', etc.

    anyway...

    Tim, Oct 20, 2003
  11. Seagull

    Seagull Guest

    Hang on a minute! T.N.O and Mainlander that is.

    I bought the April PC Authority magazine on the basis of the message
    emblazoned across the front, that it included a FREE version, worth
    $136.00, of Partition Magic. A FULL WORKING VERSION, it said.
    There was no mention, even in fine print, that I had a limited time to
    register or else miss out. The article on page 10 said there was a limited
    time to purchase Version 8 at a discount, but no mention of any restriction
    on the included Version 6.

    Now, when I find I have a need for this programme I get out the CD, only to
    find it is useless. I do not think that I am committing piracy by trying to
    use what was widely distributed as a "free" programme.

    So I simply asked if anyone had registered, and received the serial
    number, which was given free to anyone who got around to asking for it back
    in May.

    What is the problem with that?

    Oh. and my thanks to those with more helpful suggestions and comments.

    --
    Seagull ~'~

    Seagull, Oct 20, 2003
  12. Seagull

    harry Guest

    http://sling.to/fosi
    http://linkworld.to/fosi
    http://kickme.to/FOSI
    harry, Oct 20, 2003
  13. Seagull

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Seagull" wrote
    > So I simply asked if anyone had registered, and received the serial
    > number, which was given free to anyone who got around to asking for it

    back
    > in May.
    > What is the problem with that?

    "Limited time only" ever heard of that, it is when there are conditions put
    on the deal... the deal is no longer available, live with it.
    T.N.O., Oct 20, 2003
  14. Seagull

    T.N.O. Guest

    T.N.O., Oct 20, 2003
  15. Seagull

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <dCMkb.1933$>,
    says...
    > Hang on a minute! T.N.O and Mainlander that is.
    >
    > I bought the April PC Authority magazine on the basis of the message
    > emblazoned across the front, that it included a FREE version, worth
    > $136.00, of Partition Magic. A FULL WORKING VERSION, it said.
    > There was no mention, even in fine print, that I had a limited time to
    > register or else miss out. The article on page 10 said there was a limited
    > time to purchase Version 8 at a discount, but no mention of any restriction
    > on the included Version 6.
    >
    > Now, when I find I have a need for this programme I get out the CD, only to
    > find it is useless. I do not think that I am committing piracy by trying to
    > use what was widely distributed as a "free" programme.
    >
    > So I simply asked if anyone had registered, and received the serial
    > number, which was given free to anyone who got around to asking for it back
    > in May.
    >
    > What is the problem with that?

    The issue of whether you received a time unlimited full working version
    is between you and the supplier of the CD, in this case a computer
    magazine. If they falsely represented the contents of the CD in your
    opinion that is a matter between you and them and can be referred to
    Consumer Affairs if you wish.

    The packaging and marketing of the CD is the responsibility of the
    computer magazine and not the responsibility of Partition Magic who would
    have negotiated with the magazine as to the version of the software that
    they would supply to the magazine.

    Therefore it is wrong to advocate stealing the software off Partition
    Magic by requesting the serial number. If you have any problems take them
    up with the distributors of the CD.

    As an aside, many serial numbers these days are locked to a hardware ID,
    so I imagine that a number by itself is useless.
    Mainlander, Oct 20, 2003
  16. Seagull

    Tim Guest

    hmm, this torrent just showed up on suprnova today :)

    http://www.emptylogic.com/suprnova/torrents/463/Partition Magic v.8.0.torrent

    Tim, Oct 20, 2003
  17. Seagull

    Bret Guest

    Bret, Oct 20, 2003
  18. Seagull

    Tim Guest

    u haven't installed a bittorrent client have u?

    http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/download.html

    also bandwidth limiting clients are available for bandwidth conscious
    kiwi's. have a hunt...

    Tim, Oct 21, 2003
  19. Seagull

    Invisible Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:45:08 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >In article <dCMkb.1933$>,
    > says...
    >> Hang on a minute! T.N.O and Mainlander that is.
    >>
    >> I bought the April PC Authority magazine on the basis of the message
    >> emblazoned across the front, that it included a FREE version, worth
    >> $136.00, of Partition Magic. A FULL WORKING VERSION, it said.
    >> There was no mention, even in fine print, that I had a limited time to
    >> register or else miss out. The article on page 10 said there was a limited
    >> time to purchase Version 8 at a discount, but no mention of any restriction
    >> on the included Version 6.
    >>
    >> Now, when I find I have a need for this programme I get out the CD, only to
    >> find it is useless. I do not think that I am committing piracy by trying to
    >> use what was widely distributed as a "free" programme.
    >>
    >> So I simply asked if anyone had registered, and received the serial
    >> number, which was given free to anyone who got around to asking for it back
    >> in May.
    >>
    >> What is the problem with that?

    >The issue of whether you received a time unlimited full working version
    >is between you and the supplier of the CD, in this case a computer
    >magazine. If they falsely represented the contents of the CD in your
    >opinion that is a matter between you and them and can be referred to
    >Consumer Affairs if you wish.
    >
    >The packaging and marketing of the CD is the responsibility of the
    >computer magazine and not the responsibility of Partition Magic who would
    >have negotiated with the magazine as to the version of the software that
    >they would supply to the magazine.
    >
    >Therefore it is wrong to advocate stealing the software off Partition
    >Magic by requesting the serial number. If you have any problems take them
    >up with the distributors of the CD.
    >
    >As an aside, many serial numbers these days are locked to a hardware ID,
    >so I imagine that a number by itself is useless.

    The mag usually states somewhere that you have until such a date to get your
    key, and / or purchase a full copy of the latest version at a reduced rate. I
    recently got the latest Drive Image from a recent Oz mag. What the hell, it was
    a good deal. They sent DI 2002 for NT/95/98/ME and V7 for Win2000 & XP.
    Invisible, Oct 21, 2003
  20. Seagull

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:18:52 +1300, "Tim" <>
    wrote:

    >u haven't installed a bittorrent client have u?

    Yes, what should I be doing with it?
    Bret, Oct 21, 2003