    160GB the other is 80GB). Should I leave them as single hard drives or
    partition them into smaller ones???

    Thanks in advance for your comments

    =?Utf-8?B?Z3JlZ2gxNg==?=, Jun 14, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Z3JlZ2gxNg==?=

    roman modic Guest

    Uff,

    "gregh16" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > To partition or not to partition.... That is the question.
    > I have a dual boot system xp32 & xp64 each on a different hard drive (1 is
    > 160GB the other is 80GB). Should I leave them as single hard drives or
    > partition them into smaller ones???
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your comments

    this is difficult question. Let's start with:
    http://partition.radified.com/

    Cheers, ROman

    roman modic, Jun 14, 2005

  3. I would have them partitioned up for Data and applications, for both XP
    32bit and XP Pro x64. Saves you the trouble of backing up data and reinstall
    some applications.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 14, 2005
  4. "gregh16" wrote:

    > To partition or not to partition.... That is the question.
    > I have a dual boot system xp32 & xp64 each on a different hard drive (1 is
    > 160GB the other is 80GB). Should I leave them as single hard drives or
    > partition them into smaller ones???
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your comments

    I'd keep x64 on one drive and IA32 on the other.
    XP has not been so spectacular in terms of preserving boot partition & boot
    sectors integrity, including NTFS, command console, etc..., so in case of
    corruption, you can always boot from the second drive and vice-versa if you
    dual-boot both disks.
    As far as partitioning for each OS, I commonly see a first partition for OS
    core , then the next one for paging, and then another one for application
    data (if application gives a choice). If you are not skimming on memory, you
    might do away with a very minimum page file under x64 ; also if you take full
    size memory dumps, you need your first partitions to be able to contain a
    dump as big as memory.
    This means if you have a dual-Opteron machine with 32GB memory, the first
    partition should have 32GB just for the full memory dump.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jun 14, 2005