    80 GB be enough? Have about 30GB of data.on the internal.

    Any help appreciated. Thanks.

    Phil B.

    Phil, May 18, 2005

  2. Phil

    Lars Schotte Guest

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 20:41:09 +0000, Phil wrote:

    > I will be installing a 200GB External Hard Drive which I would like to use
    > as backup to my partitioned (5)120GB internal drive. Will I be able to
    > partition the External drive into 2 partitions, 120GB and 80 GB leaving
    > either the 120 or 80 for backup of the external? If I use Ghost would the
    > 80 GB be enough? Have about 30GB of data.on the internal.

    Yes you can make it by using cfdisk - cfdisk /dev/sda.
    I propose the jfs filesystem for backup data , because you will not have
    problems with the free space on your 120 GB partition.

    Lars Schotte, May 18, 2005

  3. Phil

    Parko Guest

    Lars Schotte wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 May 2005 20:41:09 +0000, Phil wrote:
    >

    >> I will be installing a 200GB External Hard Drive which I would like to use
    >>as backup to my partitioned (5)120GB internal drive. Will I be able to
    >>partition the External drive into 2 partitions, 120GB and 80 GB leaving
    >>either the 120 or 80 for backup of the external? If I use Ghost would the
    >>80 GB be enough? Have about 30GB of data.on the internal.

    > Yes you can make it by using cfdisk - cfdisk /dev/sda.
    > I propose the jfs filesystem for backup data , because you will not have
    > problems with the free space on your 120 GB partition.

    Oops. Wrong OS, FS. Personally, I use FAT32 on external HDDs because its
    a universally readable FS format; NTFS with NT 5.1 and ReiserFS with
    Linus Torvald's baby

    Parko, May 18, 2005
  4. Phil (spamnono) wrote:
    > I will be installing a 200GB External Hard Drive which I would like

    to use
    > as backup to my partitioned (5)120GB internal drive. Will I be able

    > partition the External drive into 2 partitions, 120GB and 80 GB

    leaving
    > either the 120 or 80 for backup of the external? If I use Ghost

    would the
    > 80 GB be enough? Have about 30GB of data.on the internal.
    >
    > Any help appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > Phil B.

    You could also do the partitioning from the windows GUI. COnnect the
    drive, right click on my computer-manage-disk management.

    If you are going to format this then remember that FAT32 has a 4gb file
    limit. So for the ghost partition you might want to choose ntfs.

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_tdrn.asp

    Jeroen

    Jeroen Wijnands, May 19, 2005
  5. Phil

    apple2012

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2010
    Messages:
    8
    partition hard drive

    I suggest you use the Partition Assistant to finish the operations—delete partition, format partition and so on. And I am very glad to introduce a detail article about these operations to you-- Guidelines on how to partition a hard drive by Creating, Deleting, Formatting and Resizing Partition. Not only you can solve your problem, and also you can get such helpful and useful information from the article.
    extend-partition.com/resource/how-to-partition-a-hard-drive.htm
    Go and see the detail.
    Work well.

    apple2012, Sep 7, 2010