Partial Bookmarks and Annotations in Mozilla?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by mtodorov_69@yahoo.com, Sep 22, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    I have been suggesting this for Netscape people at the time, but now we
    have
    a Mozilla and Firefox browsers made by geeks ;-)

    Mainly, the problem was with bookmarks:

    1. the bookmark list very easily grows unreadable and disorganized.
    going to bookmark manager to organize them isn't neat

    simple solution:

    add "Add bookmark" button or icon to each bookmark group or subgroup
    as the last or first item
    in the bookmark list.

    now when bookmark is added it will immediatelly be organized!

    I will address partial bookmarks and annotations later.

    Thank you for your attention, friends and comrades.

    M.

    , Sep 22, 2005

  2. gwtc Guest

    wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have been suggesting this for Netscape people at the time, but now we
    > have
    > a Mozilla and Firefox browsers made by geeks ;-)

    Netscape is made in part by the same people that created Moz and FF.
    Rather, Netscape is actually Mozilla. Net 7.1 was Moz 1.4 and Net 7.2
    is Moz 1.7.2. And Net 8.x is based on FF. The only differences is
    the Netscape branded name, and the Netscape add-ons.

    gwtc, Sep 22, 2005

  3. Ed Mullen Guest

    wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have been suggesting this for Netscape people at the time, but now we
    > have
    > a Mozilla and Firefox browsers made by geeks ;-)
    >
    > Mainly, the problem was with bookmarks:
    >
    > 1. the bookmark list very easily grows unreadable and disorganized.
    > going to bookmark manager to organize them isn't neat
    >
    > simple solution:
    >
    > add "Add bookmark" button or icon to each bookmark group or subgroup
    > as the last or first item
    > in the bookmark list.
    >
    > now when bookmark is added it will immediatelly be organized!
    >
    > I will address partial bookmarks and annotations later.
    >
    > Thank you for your attention, friends and comrades.
    >
    > M.

    Interesting idea. But I'm not sure adding that complexity would be an
    advantage to me.

    What I do when adding a bookmark is to drag the URL from the location
    bar and drop it directly into the folder where I want to store it.
    Seems simple enough to me from the standpoint of everyday use. And it's
    probably easier than expanding a folder tree to find the "add bookmark"
    button to click on for that solder/sub-folder since you can drop the
    bookmark into a folder without even expanding it. Yes, doing that puts
    the new bookmark at the bottom of that folder. But it's easy enough to
    later either drag it to a specific position or just sort the folder
    alphabetically.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Sep 22, 2005
  4. Guest

    > Interesting idea. But I'm not sure adding that complexity would be an
    > advantage to me.

    Later I've seen that exactly the same thing is there in Konqueror
    (add bookmark in submenus).

    However, I haven't seen the possibility of placing bookmark on part of
    text that is deeper within the document. Also no provision for placing
    reader's comment
    on selected and viewed page.

    > What I do when adding a bookmark is to drag the URL from the location
    > bar and drop it directly into the folder where I want to store it.
    > Seems simple enough to me from the standpoint of everyday use. And it's
    > probably easier than expanding a folder tree to find the "add bookmark"
    > button to click on for that solder/sub-folder since you can drop the
    > bookmark into a folder without even expanding it. Yes, doing that puts
    > the new bookmark at the bottom of that folder. But it's easy enough to
    > later either drag it to a specific position or just sort the folder
    > alphabetically.

    This seems to depend on taste. Having extra window open for bookmark
    sorting
    is something that deprives me of desktop space on screen, again.

    Probably there could be just a sort of drop place instead of rather
    long "add bookmark" in every submenu. Whether it pays to implement it,
    I cannot say.

    Mirsad

    > --
    > Ed Mullen
    > http://edmullen.net
    > http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    > Try not to let your mind wander. it's too small and fragile to be out by
    > itself.

    , Oct 6, 2005
  5. Ed Mullen Guest

    wrote:

    >>Interesting idea. But I'm not sure adding that complexity would be an
    >>advantage to me.

    > Later I've seen that exactly the same thing is there in Konqueror
    > (add bookmark in submenus).
    >
    > However, I haven't seen the possibility of placing bookmark on part of
    > text that is deeper within the document. Also no provision for placing
    > reader's comment
    > on selected and viewed page.
    >

    >>What I do when adding a bookmark is to drag the URL from the location
    >>bar and drop it directly into the folder where I want to store it.
    >>Seems simple enough to me from the standpoint of everyday use. And it's
    >>probably easier than expanding a folder tree to find the "add bookmark"
    >>button to click on for that solder/sub-folder since you can drop the
    >>bookmark into a folder without even expanding it. Yes, doing that puts
    >>the new bookmark at the bottom of that folder. But it's easy enough to
    >>later either drag it to a specific position or just sort the folder
    >>alphabetically.

    > This seems to depend on taste. Having extra window open for bookmark
    > sorting
    > is something that deprives me of desktop space on screen, again.

    If you use the Personal Toolbar you can drag/drop URLs into a specific
    folder that way. And it does not use up horizontal screen space, only a
    thin toobar, especially if you disable icons display on that toolbar and
    only display text (what I do) to maximize screen utilization.

    But I do agree, it is (like a lot of things in software!) a very
    personal issue of how a person prefers to work. ;-)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Oct 6, 2005