Part of network has a internet timeout problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by news.losch.net, Dec 10, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    Here is my network:
    - BEFW11S4(v1.45.3) connected to DSL via a PPPoE connect, max idle time is
    40m.
    - notebook XP via a wireless connection - WPC11.
    - Dell desktop win98 via a cable connection - Linksys LNE100TX(V5).

    My problem:
    - Wireless Notebook PC stays connected to the internet all of the time.
    - Wired Desktop PC internet connection seems to timeout after 5 minutes.
    - On the desktop PC, I have disabled virus, firewall, and pcdoctor software
    and rebooted, but still have the timeout problem.
    - I have used both IE5 and Mozilla, and have the same timeout problem.

    - When I have the timeout problem, I still can access my email from my ISP
    and also send email.

    How can I determine what my problem is?

    Thanks,

    Fred

    (to send email - get the lead out)
    news.losch.net, Dec 10, 2005

  2. news.losch.net

    CJT Guest

    news.losch.net wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Here is my network:
    > - BEFW11S4(v1.45.3) connected to DSL via a PPPoE connect, max idle time is
    > 40m.
    > - notebook XP via a wireless connection - WPC11.
    > - Dell desktop win98 via a cable connection - Linksys LNE100TX(V5).
    >
    > My problem:
    > - Wireless Notebook PC stays connected to the internet all of the time.
    > - Wired Desktop PC internet connection seems to timeout after 5 minutes.
    > - On the desktop PC, I have disabled virus, firewall, and pcdoctor software
    > and rebooted, but still have the timeout problem.
    > - I have used both IE5 and Mozilla, and have the same timeout problem.
    >
    > - When I have the timeout problem, I still can access my email from my ISP
    > and also send email.
    >
    > How can I determine what my problem is?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Fred
    >
    > (to send email - get the lead out)

    What's the precise error message?

    How do you have DNS set up on the desktop? Via DHCP or set to a fixed
    value? What's your DHCP lease time?

    CJT, Dec 11, 2005

  3. Hi,

    Thanks for the questions - here is what I found:

    > What's the precise error message?

    "The page cannot be displayed ... cannot find server or DSN error"

    > How do you have DNS set up on the desktop? Via DHCP or set to a fixed
    > value? What's your DHCP lease time?

    When I do winipcfg on the desktop, it shows the ISP's IP address for the
    DSN.
    When I check the router setting, it shows that DHCP is enabled. and the DHCP
    lease time to be = 0 min (0 means one day).

    I have disabled my firewall, and virus, then restarted but it still times
    out.
    Any ideas on what to do next?

    Thanks,

    Fred

    news.losch.net, Dec 12, 2005
  4. news.losch.net

    Haggis Guest

    "news.losch.net" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Here is my network:
    > - BEFW11S4(v1.45.3) connected to DSL via a PPPoE connect, max idle time is
    > 40m.
    > - notebook XP via a wireless connection - WPC11.
    > - Dell desktop win98 via a cable connection - Linksys LNE100TX(V5).
    >
    > My problem:
    > - Wireless Notebook PC stays connected to the internet all of the time.
    > - Wired Desktop PC internet connection seems to timeout after 5 minutes.
    > - On the desktop PC, I have disabled virus, firewall, and pcdoctor
    > software and rebooted, but still have the timeout problem.
    > - I have used both IE5 and Mozilla, and have the same timeout problem.
    >
    > - When I have the timeout problem, I still can access my email from my ISP
    > and also send email.
    >
    > How can I determine what my problem is?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Fred
    >
    > (to send email - get the lead out)

    do you have "keep alive" or "connect on demand" settings on your router ?
    (try the 'keep alive')

    Windows support http://www.aumha.org
    Haggis, Dec 12, 2005
  5. Re: Part of network has a internet timeout problem - update!

    Hi,

    Here is an update to my problem.

    I use The Shield Professional 2005 from PCSecurityShield which has a virus
    checker and a firewall (shield). Even though I disabled the firewall, I
    still was having the problem.

    I removed the shield from the start-up programs and added Zone Alarm as my
    firewall. I have not had any problems since. I don't know what the shield
    does (I did add the IP address of the DSN & DCPH in the shield, but it did
    not help), but I seem to be the one causes the problem.

    Fred
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    news.losch.net, Dec 16, 2005
  6. news.losch.net

    pengulin Guest

    Re: Part of network has a internet timeout problem - update!

    > I removed the shield from the start-up programs and added Zone Alarm as my
    > firewall. I have not had any problems since. I don't know what the shield
    > does (I did add the IP address of the DSN & DCPH in the shield, but it did
    > not help), but I seem to be the one causes the problem.

    Very often I've discovered that when a firewall is causing a problem on the
    system, disabling it using the prescribed methods (by the software
    manufacturer) doesn't solve the problem because the firewall is still
    running albeit in a "disabled mode" right from startup. I've often
    recommended that when people have problems with browsing similar to what you
    are having that they completely uninstall the firewall program, and see what
    happens. 9 times out of 10, that solves the problem. Usually the same
    software can be reinstalled and work perfectly fine (until the next time it
    gets corrupted). In your case, it seems that removing it from startup and
    installing another firewall program seems to have acheived the same net
    effect. Um... excuse the pun.
    pengulin, Dec 17, 2005
  7. news.losch.net

    Haggis Guest

    "pengulin" <> wrote in message

    >> I removed the shield from the start-up programs and added Zone Alarm as
    >> my
    >> firewall. I have not had any problems since. I don't know what the shield
    >> does (I did add the IP address of the DSN & DCPH in the shield, but it
    >> did
    >> not help), but I seem to be the one causes the problem.

    > Very often I've discovered that when a firewall is causing a problem on
    > the
    > system, disabling it using the prescribed methods (by the software
    > manufacturer) doesn't solve the problem because the firewall is still
    > running albeit in a "disabled mode" right from startup. I've often
    > recommended that when people have problems with browsing similar to what
    > you
    > are having that they completely uninstall the firewall program, and see
    > what
    > happens. 9 times out of 10, that solves the problem. Usually the same
    > software can be reinstalled and work perfectly fine (until the next time
    > it
    > gets corrupted). In your case, it seems that removing it from startup and
    > installing another firewall program seems to have acheived the same net
    > effect. Um... excuse the pun.

    second that ..uninstall if in doubt
    Haggis, Dec 19, 2005