    know what it is / for?

    TIA,

    Wayne

    Wayne, Oct 3, 2010

  2. Wayne

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 15:16:27 -0700 (PDT), Wayne <> wrote:
    : A friend dropped her T1i and after taking the lens off, this part was
    : found lying on the mirror:
    :
    : http://home.comcast.net/~bruzeks1/part.jpg
    :
    : She states that the camera appears to work okay without it. Anybody
    : know what it is / for?

    If it was lying on the mirror, it's a good bet that it has something to do
    with holding the focussing screen in place. What its exact role would be is
    far from obvious, so I guess there's a remote possibility that it's an
    installation tool that was accidentally left in the camera.

    If I dropped a camera hard enough to dislodge a part, I think I'd send it to a
    service center for inspection.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Oct 3, 2010

  3. Wayne

    ASCII Guest

    Wayne wrote:
    >A friend dropped her T1i and after taking the lens off, this part was
    >found lying on the mirror:
    >
    >http://home.comcast.net/~bruzeks1/part.jpg
    >
    >She states that the camera appears to work okay without it. Anybody
    >know what it is / for?
    >
    >TIA,
    >
    >Wayne

    Looks like it might have something to do with the memory card interface,
    like maybe part of an SD/SDHC socket, but if that were the case there would
    probably be an icon indicating such.
    Have you given it a functional test; shoot some pics,
    send them to the computer etc.?

    ASCII, Oct 3, 2010
  4. Wayne

    Wayne Guest

    On Oct 3, 6:53 pm, ASCII <> wrote:
    > Wayne wrote:
    > >A friend dropped her T1i and after taking the lens off, this part was
    > >found lying on the mirror:

    > >http://home.comcast.net/~bruzeks1/part.jpg

    > >She states that the camera appears to work okay without it.  Anybody
    > >know what it is / for?

    > >TIA,

    > >Wayne

    > Looks like it might have something to do with the memory card interface,
    > like maybe part of an SD/SDHC socket, but if that were the case there would
    > probably be an icon indicating such.
    > Have you given it a functional test; shoot some pics,
    > send them to the computer etc.?

    She said "it works", but I don't know how extensively she tested.
    I'll ask. Thanks.

    Wayne, Oct 3, 2010
  5. Wayne

    ASCII Guest

    Wayne wrote:
    >On Oct 3, 6:53 pm, ASCII <> wrote:
    >> Wayne wrote:
    >> >A friend dropped her T1i and after taking the lens off, this part was
    >> >found lying on the mirror:

    >> >http://home.comcast.net/~bruzeks1/part.jpg

    >> >She states that the camera appears to work okay without it.  Anybody
    >> >know what it is / for?

    >> >TIA,

    >> >Wayne

    >> Looks like it might have something to do with the memory card interface,
    >> like maybe part of an SD/SDHC socket, but if that were the case there would
    >> probably be an icon indicating such.
    >> Have you given it a functional test; shoot some pics,
    >> send them to the computer etc.?

    >She said "it works", but I don't know how extensively she tested.
    >I'll ask. Thanks.

    There's the outside chance that it was accidentally left in during assembly
    and is indeed superfluous, but a contact with the manufacturer wouldn't be
    such a bad idea.

    ASCII, Oct 4, 2010
  6. Wayne

    Rich Guest

    On Oct 3, 6:16 pm, Wayne <> wrote:
    > A friend dropped her T1i and after taking the lens off, this part was
    > found lying on the mirror:
    >
    > http://home.comcast.net/~bruzeks1/part.jpg
    >
    > She states that the camera appears to work okay without it.  Anybody
    > know what it is / for?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Wayne

    Plastic-c-c-c-c-c-c

    Rich, Oct 4, 2010
  7. Wayne

    Rich Guest

    On Oct 3, 6:16 pm, Wayne <> wrote:
    > A friend dropped her T1i and after taking the lens off, this part was
    > found lying on the mirror:
    >
    > http://home.comcast.net/~bruzeks1/part.jpg
    >
    > She states that the camera appears to work okay without it.  Anybody
    > know what it is / for?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Wayne

    It looks like electrical contact points from either the lens, or the
    bayonet mount of the camera.

    Rich, Oct 4, 2010
  8. In article
    <>,
    Rich <> writes

    >> http://home.comcast.net/~bruzeks1/part.jpg

    >Plastic-c-c-c-c-c-c

    No, it is most definitely a M-E-E-ETA-A-A-A-L part!
    --
    Kennedy

    Kennedy McEwen, Oct 4, 2010
  9. Wayne

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <2010100315271511272-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
    savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...

    > On 2010-10-03 15:16:27 -0700, Wayne <> said:
    >
    > > A friend dropped her T1i and after taking the lens off, this part was
    > > found lying on the mirror:
    > >
    > > http://home.comcast.net/~bruzeks1/part.jpg
    > >
    > > She states that the camera appears to work okay without it. Anybody
    > > know what it is / for?
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > >
    > > Wayne

    > Sorry I have no idea of what it is, other than a strange feeling I have.
    >
    > ...and that is, it is probably going to be the reason for sending both
    > the camera, and the mystery object to her nearest Canon repair center.
    >
    > Good luck.

    If it were me I'd turn the camera nose down with the lens off and give
    it some shakes and taps and see if any _other_ pieces fall out, because
    there should have been something holding that in place.

    Also, I'd test it in all orientations to be sure that that wasn't
    something needed for it to, say, work upside down, and do the same for
    the hot shoe and all the signal connectors, etc. I'd rather know up
    front what if anything is not working than find out later when I needed
    it to work and it didn't.

    And look inside with an inspection mirror and a good light--that _might_
    if one is lucky snap in somewhere.

    As a guess I'd bet on it being a sliding electrical contact. The
    multiple fingers going into one solid piece suggest it's a ground, which
    would also be consistent with the camera still working--if it is a
    ground there is likely another somewhere although not one that the
    designers intended--designers are careful about isolating hots but not
    so much about grounds.

    J. Clarke, Oct 4, 2010
  10. Wayne

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 04/10/2010 04:46, Rich wrote:
    > On Oct 3, 6:16 pm, Wayne<> wrote:
    >> A friend dropped her T1i and after taking the lens off, this part was
    >> found lying on the mirror:
    >>
    >> http://home.comcast.net/~bruzeks1/part.jpg
    >>
    >> She states that the camera appears to work okay without it. Anybody
    >> know what it is / for?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> Wayne

    > It looks like electrical contact points from either the lens, or the
    > bayonet mount of the camera.

    Except they are all parts of the same metal thing... so that in effect a
    single contact point. Could be used to spring-load the back of the SD
    card, though (the OP can check if the dimensions match).

    --
    Bertrand

    Ofnuts, Oct 4, 2010
  11. Wayne

    Bruce Guest

    Ofnuts <> wrote:

    >On 04/10/2010 04:46, Rich wrote:
    >> On Oct 3, 6:16 pm, Wayne<> wrote:
    >>> A friend dropped her T1i and after taking the lens off, this part was
    >>> found lying on the mirror:
    >>>
    >>> http://home.comcast.net/~bruzeks1/part.jpg
    >>>
    >>> She states that the camera appears to work okay without it. Anybody
    >>> know what it is / for?
    >>>
    >>> TIA,
    >>>
    >>> Wayne

    >> It looks like electrical contact points from either the lens, or the
    >> bayonet mount of the camera.

    >Except they are all parts of the same metal thing... so that in effect a
    >single contact point. Could be used to spring-load the back of the SD
    >card, though (the OP can check if the dimensions match).

    RichA will probably be along in a minute to tell us that the part
    cannot possibly have come from inside a plastic Canon T1i because that
    camera does not include any metal parts. ;-)

    Bruce, Oct 4, 2010
  12. Wayne

    Guest

    On 4 Oct, 12:04, wrote:
    > On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 15:16:27 -0700 (PDT), Wayne <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >A friend dropped her T1i and after taking the lens off, this part was
    > >found lying on the mirror:

    > >http://home.comcast.net/~bruzeks1/part.jpg

    > >She states that the camera appears to work okay without it.  Anybody
    > >know what it is / for?

    > >TIA,

    > >Wayne

    > I just took the lens off of my T1i and looked inside. The mirror
    > chamber and the CCD section behind the mirror all seem to be in an
    > enclosed chamber. I did not see a single part like that anywhere at
    > all, nor did I see any openings to the camera body's internal areas
    > that anything larger than a hair could have come through.
    >
    > Is it a chance that this small item bounced into the camera body when
    > it was dropped?

    Or is it part of the lens rather than the camera?

    Chris

    , Oct 4, 2010
  13. Wayne

    Me Guest

    On 5/10/2010 5:21 a.m., wrote:
    > On 4 Oct, 12:04, wrote:
    >> On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 15:16:27 -0700 (PDT), Wayne<>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> A friend dropped her T1i and after taking the lens off, this part was
    >>> found lying on the mirror:

    >>> http://home.comcast.net/~bruzeks1/part.jpg

    >>> She states that the camera appears to work okay without it. Anybody
    >>> know what it is / for?

    >>> TIA,

    >>> Wayne

    >> I just took the lens off of my T1i and looked inside. The mirror
    >> chamber and the CCD section behind the mirror all seem to be in an
    >> enclosed chamber. I did not see a single part like that anywhere at
    >> all, nor did I see any openings to the camera body's internal areas
    >> that anything larger than a hair could have come through.
    >>
    >> Is it a chance that this small item bounced into the camera body when
    >> it was dropped?

    > Or is it part of the lens rather than the camera?

    That's what it looks like to me - contacts for a slider inside a lens
    barrel which determine approximate focus distance information from the
    lens focus ring position.
    If it fell out of a Nikkor lens (assuming no other damage), then the
    camera/lens would still work fine, the distance information is only used
    for some TTL metering (mainly for flash), and the difference between
    having the information and not having it usually makes very little
    difference to exposure.

    Me, Oct 4, 2010
  14. Wayne

    Rich Guest

    On Oct 4, 3:09 am, Kennedy McEwen <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > Rich <> writes
    >

    > >>http://home.comcast.net/~bruzeks1/part.jpg

    > >Plastic-c-c-c-c-c-c

    > No, it is most definitely a M-E-E-ETA-A-A-A-L part!
    > --

    Screwed into plastic, which is why it failed.

    Rich, Oct 5, 2010
  15. Wayne

    Rich Guest

    On Oct 4, 9:07 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > Ofnuts <> wrote:

    > >> It looks like electrical contact points from either the lens, or the
    > >> bayonet mount of the camera.

    > >Except they are all parts of the same metal thing... so that in effect a
    > >single contact point. Could be used to spring-load the back of the SD
    > >card, though (the OP can check if the dimensions match).

    > RichA will probably be along in a minute to tell us that the part
    > cannot possibly have come from inside a plastic Canon T1i because that
    > camera does not include any metal parts.  ;-)

    Any? No even a plastic bodied camera needs metal. Parts that have to
    withstand forces are mostly metal.

    Rich, Oct 5, 2010
  16. Wayne

    peter Guest

    On 10/4/2010 8:33 PM, Rich wrote:
    > On Oct 4, 9:07 am, Bruce<> wrote:
    >> Ofnuts<> wrote:

    >>> Except they are all parts of the same metal thing... so that in effect a
    >>> single contact point. Could be used to spring-load the back of the SD
    >>> card, though (the OP can check if the dimensions match).

    >> RichA will probably be along in a minute to tell us that the part
    >> cannot possibly have come from inside a plastic Canon T1i because that
    >> camera does not include any metal parts. ;-)

    > Any? No even a plastic bodied camera needs metal. Parts that have to
    > withstand forces are mostly metal.

    You mean like the B2 bomber?

    --
    Peter

    peter, Oct 5, 2010
  17. Wayne

    Rich Guest

    On Oct 4, 9:22 pm, peter <> wrote:
    > On 10/4/2010 8:33 PM, Rich wrote:

    > >> RichA will probably be along in a minute to tell us that the part
    > >> cannot possibly have come from inside a plastic Canon T1i because that
    > >> camera does not include any metal parts.  ;-)

    > > Any?  No even a plastic bodied camera needs metal.  Parts that have to
    > > withstand forces are mostly metal.

    > You mean like the B2 bomber?
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    The materials used in the B2 bomber have about as much in common with
    the plastic scrap used in camera bodies (Sony uses recycled CD roms)
    as P&S users have with sanity.

    Rich, Oct 5, 2010
  18. Wayne

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Rich <> wrote:
    > Kennedy McEwen <> wrote:
    >> Rich <> writes

    >> >Plastic-c-c-c-c-c-c

    >> No, it is most definitely a M-E-E-ETA-A-A-A-L part!
    >> --

    >Screwed into plastic, which is why it failed.

    Then you must know what it is. Please elaborate.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Oct 5, 2010
  19. Wayne

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Rich <> wrote:
    >On Oct 4, 9:22 pm, peter <> wrote:
    >> On 10/4/2010 8:33 PM, Rich wrote:
    >> > Any?  No even a plastic bodied camera needs metal.  Parts that have to
    >> > withstand forces are mostly metal.

    >> You mean like the B2 bomber?

    >The materials used in the B2 bomber have about as much in common with
    >the plastic scrap used in camera bodies (Sony uses recycled CD roms)
    >as P&S users have with sanity.

    Smirk. The usual bullshit from the usual moron.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Oct 5, 2010
  20. In article
    <>,
    Rich <> writes
    >On Oct 4, 3:09 am, Kennedy McEwen <> wrote:
    >> In article
    >> <>,
    >> Rich <> writes

    >> >Plastic-c-c-c-c-c-c

    >> No, it is most definitely a M-E-E-ETA-A-A-A-L part!
    >> --

    >Screwed into plastic, which is why it failed.

    Without evidence of any screw holes or screw fittings, let alone any
    evidence of what it was screwed into, you are deluding yourself. No
    change there though.
    --
    Kennedy

    Kennedy McEwen, Oct 5, 2010