Parking the Truck

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark², Sep 17, 2005.

  1. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. Mark²

    Bill Funk Guest

    Bill Funk, Sep 18, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Mark², Sep 18, 2005
    #3
  4. Mark²

    Paul Heslop Guest

    "Mark²" wrote:
    >
    > Bill Funk wrote:
    > > On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 15:39:27 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    > > number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    > >
    > >> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/49382462/original
    > >>

    > > Obviously a fake.
    > > There's no bullet holes.

    >
    > ???
    > :)


    I'm always amazed when i see these. jees, over here they would have
    towed this away fourty years ago.

    :O)

    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
    Paul Heslop, Sep 18, 2005
    #4
  5. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Paul Heslop wrote:
    > "Mark²" wrote:
    >>
    >> Bill Funk wrote:
    >>> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 15:39:27 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    >>> number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/49382462/original
    >>>>
    >>> Obviously a fake.
    >>> There's no bullet holes.

    >>
    >> ???
    >> :)

    >
    > I'm always amazed when i see these. jees, over here they would have
    > towed this away fourty years ago.
    >
    > :O)


    Actually, it really "made" the yard in front of this active ranch home.
    -Seemed to belong right where it was.
    Mark², Sep 18, 2005
    #5
  6. Mark²

    Paul Heslop Guest

    "Mark²" wrote:
    >
    > Paul Heslop wrote:
    > > "Mark²" wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Bill Funk wrote:
    > >>> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 15:39:27 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    > >>> number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    > >>>
    > >>>> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/49382462/original
    > >>>>
    > >>> Obviously a fake.
    > >>> There's no bullet holes.
    > >>
    > >> ???
    > >> :)

    > >
    > > I'm always amazed when i see these. jees, over here they would have
    > > towed this away fourty years ago.
    > >
    > > :O)

    >
    > Actually, it really "made" the yard in front of this active ranch home.
    > -Seemed to belong right where it was.


    Yep, they post quite a few of these on shuttercity and I always think
    how brilliant it would be to just be able to find them this way, old
    trucks, even buses. I suppose there will be some here, but rather like
    those abandoned ranch houses and stuff they seem to just flatten
    things as quick as they can (unless they have a preservation order,
    then they let them stand til they become unsafe THEN flatten them)
    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
    Paul Heslop, Sep 18, 2005
    #6
  7. Mark²

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 23:24:07 +0000, Paul Heslop wrote:

    > "Mark²" wrote:
    >>
    >> Bill Funk wrote:
    >> > On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 15:39:27 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    >> > number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/49382462/original
    >> >>
    >> > Obviously a fake.
    >> > There's no bullet holes.

    >>
    >> ???
    >> :)

    >
    > I'm always amazed when i see these. jees, over here they would have
    > towed this away fourty years ago.
    >
    > :O)

    You don't live in Peterborough, then.
    --
    Neil
    Delete delete to reply by email
    Neil Ellwood, Sep 18, 2005
    #7
  8. Mark²

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Neil Ellwood wrote:
    >
    > On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 23:24:07 +0000, Paul Heslop wrote:
    >
    > > "Mark²" wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Bill Funk wrote:
    > >> > On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 15:39:27 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    > >> > number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    > >> >
    > >> >> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/49382462/original
    > >> >>
    > >> > Obviously a fake.
    > >> > There's no bullet holes.
    > >>
    > >> ???
    > >> :)

    > >
    > > I'm always amazed when i see these. jees, over here they would have
    > > towed this away fourty years ago.
    > >
    > > :O)

    > You don't live in Peterborough, then.
    > --
    > Neil
    > Delete delete to reply by email


    :O) Heh, no, a bit more northerly. They started a scheme a little
    while back shifting cars which had been standing unattended for any
    reasonable length of time and it's been declared a success, so I
    reckon these hulks might be included.

    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
    Paul Heslop, Sep 18, 2005
    #8
  9. Mark²

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 13:04:30 GMT, Paul Heslop
    <> wrote:

    >Neil Ellwood wrote:
    >>
    >> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 23:24:07 +0000, Paul Heslop wrote:
    >>
    >> > "Mark²" wrote:
    >> >>
    >> >> Bill Funk wrote:
    >> >> > On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 15:39:27 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    >> >> > number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >> >> >
    >> >> >> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/49382462/original
    >> >> >>
    >> >> > Obviously a fake.
    >> >> > There's no bullet holes.
    >> >>
    >> >> ???
    >> >> :)
    >> >
    >> > I'm always amazed when i see these. jees, over here they would have
    >> > towed this away fourty years ago.
    >> >
    >> > :O)

    >> You don't live in Peterborough, then.
    >> --
    >> Neil
    >> Delete delete to reply by email

    >
    > :O) Heh, no, a bit more northerly. They started a scheme a little
    >while back shifting cars which had been standing unattended for any
    >reasonable length of time and it's been declared a success, so I
    >reckon these hulks might be included.


    Are you speaking of "old hulks" on private property?
    They can do that there?

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"
    funktionality.blogspot.com
    Bill Funk, Sep 18, 2005
    #9
  10. Mark²

    Gaderian Guest


    >> I'm always amazed when i see these. jees, over here they would have
    >> towed this away fourty years ago.
    >>
    >> :O)

    > You don't live in Peterborough, then.
    > --
    > Neil


    or Oshawa :)
    .. . . and to get the authentic bullet holes, move to Toronto.
    Gaderian, Sep 18, 2005
    #10
  11. Mark²

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Bill Funk wrote:
    >
    > On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 13:04:30 GMT, Paul Heslop
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Neil Ellwood wrote:
    > >>
    > >> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 23:24:07 +0000, Paul Heslop wrote:
    > >>
    > >> > "Mark²" wrote:
    > >> >>
    > >> >> Bill Funk wrote:
    > >> >> > On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 15:39:27 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    > >> >> > number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> >> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/49382462/original
    > >> >> >>
    > >> >> > Obviously a fake.
    > >> >> > There's no bullet holes.
    > >> >>
    > >> >> ???
    > >> >> :)
    > >> >
    > >> > I'm always amazed when i see these. jees, over here they would have
    > >> > towed this away fourty years ago.
    > >> >
    > >> > :O)
    > >> You don't live in Peterborough, then.
    > >> --
    > >> Neil
    > >> Delete delete to reply by email

    > >
    > > :O) Heh, no, a bit more northerly. They started a scheme a little
    > >while back shifting cars which had been standing unattended for any
    > >reasonable length of time and it's been declared a success, so I
    > >reckon these hulks might be included.

    >
    > Are you speaking of "old hulks" on private property?
    > They can do that there?
    >
    > --
    > Bill Funk
    > Replace "g" with "a"
    > funktionality.blogspot.com


    Oh, no, I think there are defnitions of what and where, though they do
    seem to occasionally take the bull by the horns and force people on
    private property to clean up their act. There is a program which
    follows teams involved in clean ups of domestic and catering type and
    they sometimes feature folks who have allowed their homes and gardens
    to become refuge to what amounts as a rubbish tip. They do seem able
    to enforce at least some cleaning up.

    I have seen wrecks, in odd places, but not like these we see from
    american images. I'd like anyone who knows better from britain to post
    some old Ford Pops or something abandoned on farm land but it is very
    rare you see anything like this. I guess when you think about it the
    sheer scale difference between the states and here is a factor, kind
    of a lot more space to abandon stuff on :O)

    I was quite shocked recently to discover a house smack in the middle
    of a beautiful little street which is so overgrown I couldn't even
    tell there was a house, even after passing it hundreds of times. I
    tried to get a shot of it but the foliage was so thick it was useless,
    then a neighbour passed by and said "There's somebody living in
    there." I was like, who, Doctor Livingstone?


    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
    Paul Heslop, Sep 18, 2005
    #11
  12. Mark²

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Bill Funk wrote:

    > Are you speaking of "old hulks" on private property?
    > They can do that there?
    >

    I was wracking my brain trying to recall any I've got pics of from
    reasonably nearby (within ten miles or so)

    The first four of these were near a scrap yard and kind of hidden
    behind an allotment garden, very out of the way. I haven't been down
    there since i took these shots but they must have been there some
    time.

    The last two are of burned out wrecks, all reasonably nearby (within a
    mile or so) but on abandoned industrial land. The first car has now
    gone after a few weeks, the van is almost at the point of
    disintegration, possibly as we're near the sea? the second car has
    gone but stood there for over a year

    http://groups.msn.com/OtherSides/statuary.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=716
    http://groups.msn.com/OtherSides/statuary.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=717
    http://groups.msn.com/OtherSides/statuary.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=718
    http://groups.msn.com/OtherSides/statuary.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=719

    http://groups.msn.com/OtherSides/statuary.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=721
    http://groups.msn.com/OtherSides/statuary.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=720
    http://groups.msn.com/OtherSides/statuary.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=722


    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
    Paul Heslop, Sep 18, 2005
    #12
  13. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Paul Heslop wrote:
    > Bill Funk wrote:
    >>
    >> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 13:04:30 GMT, Paul Heslop
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Neil Ellwood wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 23:24:07 +0000, Paul Heslop wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> "Mark²" wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Bill Funk wrote:
    >>>>>>> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 15:39:27 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest
    >>>>>>> even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/49382462/original
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Obviously a fake.
    >>>>>>> There's no bullet holes.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> ???
    >>>>>> :)
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I'm always amazed when i see these. jees, over here they would
    >>>>> have towed this away fourty years ago.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> :O)
    >>>> You don't live in Peterborough, then.
    >>>> --
    >>>> Neil
    >>>> Delete delete to reply by email
    >>>
    >>>> O) Heh, no, a bit more northerly. They started a scheme a little
    >>> while back shifting cars which had been standing unattended for any
    >>> reasonable length of time and it's been declared a success, so I
    >>> reckon these hulks might be included.

    >>
    >> Are you speaking of "old hulks" on private property?
    >> They can do that there?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bill Funk
    >> Replace "g" with "a"
    >> funktionality.blogspot.com

    >
    > Oh, no, I think there are defnitions of what and where, though they do
    > seem to occasionally take the bull by the horns and force people on
    > private property to clean up their act. There is a program which
    > follows teams involved in clean ups of domestic and catering type and
    > they sometimes feature folks who have allowed their homes and gardens
    > to become refuge to what amounts as a rubbish tip. They do seem able
    > to enforce at least some cleaning up.
    >
    > I have seen wrecks, in odd places, but not like these we see from
    > american images. I'd like anyone who knows better from britain to post
    > some old Ford Pops or something abandoned on farm land but it is very
    > rare you see anything like this. I guess when you think about it the
    > sheer scale difference between the states and here is a factor, kind
    > of a lot more space to abandon stuff on :O)


    Certain presentations of junk can become something of a monument.
    An old junker car from the 70's rotting in the front yard is just
    that...junk.
    -But within certain contexts, these old heaps call us back to an earlier
    time, and send us into a nostalgic image of a hard-working past and a
    simpler day. I would imagine that Great Grandpa so-and-so likely prized
    this truck way back when, and that the family owners think of him every time
    they drive past is or work around it.

    Its similar to my old baseball mit/glove that was my very first as a kid. I
    save it--not because it is still useful or pretty--but because it is a
    memorial of sentiment. Every time I see it, I think of opening the gift of
    that glove, followed by my dad throwing a baseball from accross the
    room...over his bed and to me. I was 4 years old, and distinctly remember
    him saying, "You're good!" after I caught the ball. Though it may sound
    ridiculous, it was one of the proudest moments in my memory. These memories
    kept that glove from being sold for 50 cents at a garage sale. I think it's
    the same with these "American heaps." We remember a past fondly by watching
    the symbals of our memories age with us.
    But again... There IS such a thing as just failing to get rid of scrap.

    I think this truck was appropriately displayed. I would even go so far as
    to say the neighbors would likely be quite unhappy if it were removed.
    Here's another example of an old machine/vehicle that might officially
    qualify for "junk"...but that adds a certain and intentionally-preserved
    flavor to their property:
    http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/49429942/original

    When I look at that tractor, I imagine the day some small farmer brought it
    home from the dealer with incredible excitement as he looked forward to the
    new and amazing things he'd be able to do with it in his crop fields. Old
    farms vehicles just seem to inspire Americans that way.

    Mark
    Mark², Sep 18, 2005
    #13
  14. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Paul Heslop wrote:
    > Bill Funk wrote:
    >
    >> Are you speaking of "old hulks" on private property?
    >> They can do that there?
    >>

    > I was wracking my brain trying to recall any I've got pics of from
    > reasonably nearby (within ten miles or so)
    >
    > The first four of these were near a scrap yard and kind of hidden
    > behind an allotment garden, very out of the way. I haven't been down
    > there since i took these shots but they must have been there some
    > time.
    >
    > The last two are of burned out wrecks, all reasonably nearby (within a
    > mile or so) but on abandoned industrial land. The first car has now
    > gone after a few weeks, the van is almost at the point of
    > disintegration, possibly as we're near the sea? the second car has
    > gone but stood there for over a year
    >
    > http://groups.msn.com/OtherSides/statuary.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=716
    > http://groups.msn.com/OtherSides/statuary.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=717
    > http://groups.msn.com/OtherSides/statuary.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=718
    > http://groups.msn.com/OtherSides/statuary.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=719
    >
    > http://groups.msn.com/OtherSides/statuary.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=721
    > http://groups.msn.com/OtherSides/statuary.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=720
    > http://groups.msn.com/OtherSides/statuary.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=722


    Now these examples strike me more as simple junk.
    I think the key is in the personalization of old vehicles that elevates
    them.
    It's also true that tractors and old trucks from the 30's 40's adn 50's are
    real cultural icons, and heavily steeped in "Americana."
    -Like these two:
    http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/49429942/original
    http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/49382462/original
    Mark², Sep 18, 2005
    #14
  15. Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Sep 18, 2005
    #15
  16. Mark²

    Paul Heslop Guest

    "Mark²" wrote:
    >
    > Paul Heslop wrote:
    > > Bill Funk wrote:
    > >>
    > >> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 13:04:30 GMT, Paul Heslop
    > >> <> wrote:
    > >>
    > >>> Neil Ellwood wrote:
    > >>>>
    > >>>> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 23:24:07 +0000, Paul Heslop wrote:
    > >>>>
    > >>>>> "Mark²" wrote:
    > >>>>>>
    > >>>>>> Bill Funk wrote:
    > >>>>>>> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 15:39:27 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest
    > >>>>>>> even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    > >>>>>>>
    > >>>>>>>> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/49382462/original
    > >>>>>>>>
    > >>>>>>> Obviously a fake.
    > >>>>>>> There's no bullet holes.
    > >>>>>>
    > >>>>>> ???
    > >>>>>> :)
    > >>>>>
    > >>>>> I'm always amazed when i see these. jees, over here they would
    > >>>>> have towed this away fourty years ago.
    > >>>>>
    > >>>>> :O)
    > >>>> You don't live in Peterborough, then.
    > >>>> --
    > >>>> Neil
    > >>>> Delete delete to reply by email
    > >>>
    > >>>> O) Heh, no, a bit more northerly. They started a scheme a little
    > >>> while back shifting cars which had been standing unattended for any
    > >>> reasonable length of time and it's been declared a success, so I
    > >>> reckon these hulks might be included.
    > >>
    > >> Are you speaking of "old hulks" on private property?
    > >> They can do that there?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Bill Funk
    > >> Replace "g" with "a"
    > >> funktionality.blogspot.com

    > >
    > > Oh, no, I think there are defnitions of what and where, though they do
    > > seem to occasionally take the bull by the horns and force people on
    > > private property to clean up their act. There is a program which
    > > follows teams involved in clean ups of domestic and catering type and
    > > they sometimes feature folks who have allowed their homes and gardens
    > > to become refuge to what amounts as a rubbish tip. They do seem able
    > > to enforce at least some cleaning up.
    > >
    > > I have seen wrecks, in odd places, but not like these we see from
    > > american images. I'd like anyone who knows better from britain to post
    > > some old Ford Pops or something abandoned on farm land but it is very
    > > rare you see anything like this. I guess when you think about it the
    > > sheer scale difference between the states and here is a factor, kind
    > > of a lot more space to abandon stuff on :O)

    >
    > Certain presentations of junk can become something of a monument.
    > An old junker car from the 70's rotting in the front yard is just
    > that...junk.
    > -But within certain contexts, these old heaps call us back to an earlier
    > time, and send us into a nostalgic image of a hard-working past and a
    > simpler day. I would imagine that Great Grandpa so-and-so likely prized
    > this truck way back when, and that the family owners think of him every time
    > they drive past is or work around it.
    >

    Yes, but you seem much better over there at this. There are some rare
    finds here, people go into a barn and find an old bentley or such, but
    the casual discovery is probably much harder, with little chance of
    spotting a beauty from the curbside

    > Its similar to my old baseball mit/glove that was my very first as a kid. I
    > save it--not because it is still useful or pretty--but because it is a
    > memorial of sentiment. Every time I see it, I think of opening the gift of
    > that glove, followed by my dad throwing a baseball from accross the
    > room...over his bed and to me. I was 4 years old, and distinctly remember
    > him saying, "You're good!" after I caught the ball. Though it may sound
    > ridiculous, it was one of the proudest moments in my memory. These memories
    > kept that glove from being sold for 50 cents at a garage sale. I think it's
    > the same with these "American heaps." We remember a past fondly by watching
    > the symbals of our memories age with us.
    > But again... There IS such a thing as just failing to get rid of scrap.


    I agree entirely. I, foolish boy that I was, abandoned, destroyed or
    gave away just about everything I had. My mother turned up a small
    matchbox truck which I much had had from being very small, no windows,
    metal wheels, not worth a penny to some but priceless now to me.

    >
    > I think this truck was appropriately displayed. I would even go so far as
    > to say the neighbors would likely be quite unhappy if it were removed.
    > Here's another example of an old machine/vehicle that might officially
    > qualify for "junk"...but that adds a certain and intentionally-preserved
    > flavor to their property:
    > http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/49429942/original


    Now that one is gorgeous! it leaves the other stood just for its sheer
    intricacy and strangely archaic look. We have a place on the coast
    where they use tractors to pull small boats in and out of the sea. the
    things are held together by paint, string and prayer probably but
    there's a certain beauty to them.

    >
    > When I look at that tractor, I imagine the day some small farmer brought it
    > home from the dealer with incredible excitement as he looked forward to the
    > new and amazing things he'd be able to do with it in his crop fields. Old
    > farms vehicles just seem to inspire Americans that way.
    >
    > Mark


    It's certainly something I would almost consider historical.


    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
    Paul Heslop, Sep 18, 2005
    #16
  17. Mark²

    Paul Heslop Guest

    "Mark²" wrote:

    > Now these examples strike me more as simple junk.
    > I think the key is in the personalization of old vehicles that elevates
    > them.
    > It's also true that tractors and old trucks from the 30's 40's adn 50's are
    > real cultural icons, and heavily steeped in "Americana."
    > -Like these two:
    > http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/49429942/original
    > http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/49382462/original


    I agree entirely Mark, and yet there they are. I know where there are
    two very old truck cabs but they're in private land and behind an ugly
    fence, which is a hell of a shame. they're busy pulling down building
    which have character and replacing them with concrete and glass round
    here, I can't see them worrying about whether an old wreck is
    picturesque, hell, it's probably all they can do to stop themselves
    demolishing the castles. (The victorians DID build a steam train line
    through Newcastle's though)

    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
    Paul Heslop, Sep 18, 2005
    #17
  18. Mark²

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 19:55:30 GMT, Paul Heslop
    <> wrote:

    >Bill Funk wrote:
    >
    >> Are you speaking of "old hulks" on private property?
    >> They can do that there?
    >>

    >I was wracking my brain trying to recall any I've got pics of from
    >reasonably nearby (within ten miles or so)
    >
    >The first four of these were near a scrap yard and kind of hidden
    >behind an allotment garden, very out of the way. I haven't been down
    >there since i took these shots but they must have been there some
    >time.
    >
    >The last two are of burned out wrecks, all reasonably nearby (within a
    >mile or so) but on abandoned industrial land. The first car has now
    >gone after a few weeks, the van is almost at the point of
    >disintegration, possibly as we're near the sea? the second car has
    >gone but stood there for over a year
    >
    >http://groups.msn.com/OtherSides/statuary.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=716
    >http://groups.msn.com/OtherSides/statuary.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=717
    >http://groups.msn.com/OtherSides/statuary.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=718
    >http://groups.msn.com/OtherSides/statuary.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=719
    >
    >http://groups.msn.com/OtherSides/statuary.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=721
    >http://groups.msn.com/OtherSides/statuary.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=720
    >http://groups.msn.com/OtherSides/statuary.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=722


    My question was more of the, "They are allowed to do that there??"
    question. (If they were, it would be very much against my own
    perceptions of the idea of private property. The question was answered
    that there was actually a legal procedure followed about trying to
    remove junque from private property.)

    Since I have little "Art" in me, I frequently recognize stuff as
    "Art", as in, "Oh, yeah, that's Art." That doesn't mean I appreciate
    it at all.


    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"
    funktionality.blogspot.com
    Bill Funk, Sep 18, 2005
    #18
  19. Mark²

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Bill Funk wrote:

    > My question was more of the, "They are allowed to do that there??"
    > question. (If they were, it would be very much against my own
    > perceptions of the idea of private property. The question was answered
    > that there was actually a legal procedure followed about trying to
    > remove junque from private property.)
    >
    > Since I have little "Art" in me, I frequently recognize stuff as
    > "Art", as in, "Oh, yeah, that's Art." That doesn't mean I appreciate
    > it at all.
    >
    > --

    I think they can use the public health stuff, depending on how much of
    a threat things are. I guess if someone had one old truck on their
    land and it wasn't leaking oil out onto the roadway or such then they
    would probably not give it a second thought unless they got a very big
    outcry against it. If, however, the truck was among other things and
    had become infested with vermin (local teenagers!) then things would
    probably get a little heated.

    It seems, sometimes, in this country that if land is owned by mega
    corporations then it's private land, but even large estates are now
    being forced to allow people to ramble through their land, so how
    private is that?

    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
    Paul Heslop, Sep 19, 2005
    #19
  20. Mark²

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 00:51:39 GMT, Paul Heslop
    <> wrote:

    >Bill Funk wrote:
    >
    >> My question was more of the, "They are allowed to do that there??"
    >> question. (If they were, it would be very much against my own
    >> perceptions of the idea of private property. The question was answered
    >> that there was actually a legal procedure followed about trying to
    >> remove junque from private property.)
    >>
    >> Since I have little "Art" in me, I frequently recognize stuff as
    >> "Art", as in, "Oh, yeah, that's Art." That doesn't mean I appreciate
    >> it at all.
    >>
    >> --

    >I think they can use the public health stuff, depending on how much of
    >a threat things are. I guess if someone had one old truck on their
    >land and it wasn't leaking oil out onto the roadway or such then they
    >would probably not give it a second thought unless they got a very big
    >outcry against it. If, however, the truck was among other things and
    >had become infested with vermin (local teenagers!) then things would
    >probably get a little heated.
    >
    >It seems, sometimes, in this country that if land is owned by mega
    >corporations then it's private land, but even large estates are now
    >being forced to allow people to ramble through their land, so how
    >private is that?


    I have to wonder if this latter isn't because of either adverse
    possession, or an easement that's been made public because of the
    passing of time (I don't rememeber what it's called here in the US).
    Corporations are often more jealous of their property (real estate)
    prerogatives than even large estates.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"
    funktionality.blogspot.com
    Bill Funk, Sep 19, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. ioweojfiwei

    Domain parking???

    ioweojfiwei, Dec 11, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    506
    Noel Paton
    Dec 12, 2004
  2. chevauxnoir

    forms parking window

    chevauxnoir, Oct 8, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,311
    Fred Tehbot
    Oct 8, 2005
  3. chevauxnoir

    windows forms parking

    chevauxnoir, Oct 8, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    3,207
    The One
    Oct 8, 2005
  4. JamesE Palmer

    parking letter

    JamesE Palmer, Sep 19, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    737
    Meat Plow
    Sep 21, 2006
  5. Shane

    Car parking (and beer)

    Shane, Oct 6, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    369
    Shane
    Nov 3, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page