    8ball meme Guest

    I would like to find a software that will allow my young children
    access to only a few limited websites. We have windows xp. Thanks

    8ball meme, Feb 5, 2010

  2. 8ball meme

    Dan C Guest

    Re: Parental control software: Allow only certain website to beaccessed?

    On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 18:58:49 -0800, 8ball meme wrote:

    > I would like to find a software that will allow my young children access
    > to only a few limited websites. We have windows xp. Thanks

    STFW.
    JFGI.
    GAFC.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he wiped the vomit from his chin.

    Dan C, Feb 5, 2010

  3. 8ball meme

    chuckcar Guest

    8ball meme <> wrote in news:98dc8175-c137-4811-8326-
    :

    > I would like to find a software that will allow my young children
    > access to only a few limited websites. We have windows xp. Thanks

    Net Nanny. Been around forever. Any decent computer store shuld have it.

    http://www.netnanny.com/products/netnanny/long

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Feb 5, 2010
  4. http://www.netnanny.com/alt_rotate

    your time.

    The Real Truth MVP, Feb 5, 2010
  5. 8ball meme

    8ball meme Guest

    Re: Parental control software: Allow only certain website to beaccessed?

    yes they filter content, but I want to block all sites, except a few
    that we allow our young kids.

    8ball meme, Feb 5, 2010
  6. 8ball meme

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Re: Parental control software: Allow only certain website to beaccessed?

    Bada bing 8ball meme <> bada bang:
    > yes they filter content, but I want to block all sites, except a few
    > that we allow our young kids.

    Put the computer in the living room or den and watch what they
    do.

    If you don't trust your kids, or don't care to teach them what is
    appropriate and what is not, then step up and monitor them
    yourself.

    Or you can apply someone else's standards to their internet use.

    Mike "just who is in control there?" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Feb 5, 2010
  7. 8ball meme

    chuckcar Guest

    Re: Parental control software: Allow only certain website to be accessed?

    "§nühw¤£f" <> wrote in

    > 8ball meme <> clouded the waters of pure thought
    > with news:75dbe7be-54b9-4c51-a606-c01be2e58c22
    > @u26g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:
    >
    >> yes they filter content, but I want to block all sites, except a

    > few
    >> that we allow our young kids.
    >>

    > Learn to use a HOST file?
    >
    > Theres custom host files that will block "adult" sites.

    Not what he asked. He wants them to *only* use a limited number of sites
    that they've chosen.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Feb 5, 2010
  8. 8ball meme

    chuckcar Guest

    > chuckcar <> clouded the waters of pure thought with
    >
    >> "§nühw¤£f" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> 8ball meme <> clouded the waters of pure thought
    >>> with news:75dbe7be-54b9-4c51-a606-c01be2e58c22
    >>> @u26g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

    >>> few

    > Never heard of "whitelisting"?
    >
    > http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2043282
    >
    > Interesting discussion.

    Using favorites and uinstalling all but one web browser would be a
    much simpler solution. Then you'd only have to turn off appearance of
    the address bar.

    If the OP decided to use IE, then

    view->addressbar

    Then you'd only have to clear the history to make it completely impossible
    to go anywhere else.

    tools->internet options and then click on "clear history".

    No point in adding unnecessary complexity/

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Feb 6, 2010
  9. 8ball meme

    chuckcar Guest

    > chuckcar <> clouded the waters of pure thought with
    >
    >> If the OP decided to use IE, then
    >>
    >> view->addressbar
    >>
    >> Then you'd only have to clear the history to make it completely
    >> impossible to go anywhere else.
    >>
    >> tools->internet options and then click on "clear history".
    >>
    >> No point in adding unnecessary complexity/
    >>

    > Kids shouldnt do these things unsupervised:
    >
    > Use a knife
    > Drive a car
    > Use the computer
    > Handle a gun
    >
    > Parents are lazy.

    If the kid has to way put the car in gear or remove the emergency brake
    there's no danger is there? Your analogy is faulty - in *this* case.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Feb 7, 2010
  10. 8ball meme

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 04:39:04 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > If the kid has to way put the car in gear or remove the emergency brake
    > there's no danger is there?

    WTF???????????????

    --
    Algy met a bear
    The bear was bulgy

    Aardvark, Feb 7, 2010
  11. 8ball meme

    chuckcar Guest

    8ball meme <> wrote in

    > I would like to find a software that will allow my young children
    > access to only a few limited websites. We have windows xp. Thanks

    Not sure if you saw my alternate suggestion or if you managed to get
    another solution working. In any case it's probably the simplest way to
    do it:

    Using favorites and uinstalling all but one web browser would be a
    much simpler solution. Then you'd only have to turn off appearance of
    the address bar. You would have only those specific sites in the
    favorites or course. Removing *all* IE addons such as the google ones
    would be required of course too.

    If the you have decided to use IE, then

    view->addressbar

    So the checkmark is no longer there.

    Then you'd only have to clear the history to make it completely
    impossible to go anywhere else.

    tools->internet options and then click on "clear history".

    At this point there is no history, so there's no way to go anywhere from
    the history lookup. There's no address bar so you can't enter a url in
    manually. The only was to get a website at all is to choose one from the
    favorites. From that point on you're limited to those sites and the links
    they contain.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Feb 8, 2010
  12. 8ball meme

    freemont Guest

    Re: Parental control software: Allow only certain website to beaccessed?

    On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 07:00:15 +0000, chuckcar writ:

    > 8ball meme <> wrote in
    >
    >> I would like to find a software that will allow my young children
    >> access to only a few limited websites. We have windows xp. Thanks
    >>

    > Not sure if you saw my alternate suggestion or if you managed to get
    > another solution working. In any case it's probably the simplest way to
    > do it:
    >
    > Using favorites and uinstalling all but one web browser would be a much
    > simpler solution. Then you'd only have to turn off appearance of the
    > address bar. You would have only those specific sites in the favorites
    > or course. Removing *all* IE addons such as the google ones would be
    > required of course too.
    >
    > If the you have decided to use IE, then
    >
    > view->addressbar
    >
    > So the checkmark is no longer there.
    >
    > Then you'd only have to clear the history to make it completely
    > impossible to go anywhere else.

    Unless you click a link, either in the browser or any other app. Or enter
    a URL into the Run dialog. Or any other way I'm not thinking of right now.

    More for the Chuckcar Truisms file.

    [Hiding the address bar and clearing history] will "make it completely
    impossible to go anywhere else."
    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"

    freemont, Feb 8, 2010