    program and/or the Mozilla browser?

    I'm trying to figure out if the lock is the reason my browser doesn't
    work. It's possible that I copied a profile with a lock file in it.

    William W. Plummer, Aug 20, 2004

  2. William W. Plummer

    Moz Champion Guest

    William W. Plummer wrote:

    > Can someone tell me how parent.lock is used? When is it set and
    > released? Is it for a whole session or just while a critical data
    > structure is being fondled? Is it used by the Mozilla mail&news
    > program and/or the Mozilla browser?
    >
    > I'm trying to figure out if the lock is the reason my browser doesn't
    > work. It's possible that I copied a profile with a lock file in it.

    parent.lock? Um, as in where? Just where are you setting this lock in
    the first place?

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Aug 26, 2004

  3. Moz Champion wrote:

    > William W. Plummer wrote:
    >
    >> Can someone tell me how parent.lock is used? When is it set and
    >> released? Is it for a whole session or just while a critical data
    >> structure is being fondled? Is it used by the Mozilla mail&news
    >> program and/or the Mozilla browser?
    >>
    >> I'm trying to figure out if the lock is the reason my browser doesn't
    >> work. It's possible that I copied a profile with a lock file in it.

    > parent.lock? Um, as in where? Just where are you setting this lock in
    > the first place?

    Following someone's rather rude advice to "RTFM" I looked through
    Mozilla.org and landed on http://ilias.ca/netscape/profilefaq/ and found
    "Netscape 7 Help". I assume (or at least, presume) this applies to the
    Mozilla browser. Section 2 documents the files in the profile folder
    and what they are for. "parent.lock" (or "lock" or ".parentlock") is
    on page 4.

    I don't set or clear the lock directly. This is something the Mozilla
    program(s) do when they want to gain exclusive access to the profile.
    This avoids two processess reading the profile, independently deciding
    on changes that need to be made, and writing it back to the profile
    directory. The last guy wins but the other guy never hears that his
    changes didn't take. Locks are a way to avoid this situation.

    I suspect that maybe my problem with the Mozilla browser not starting
    have to do with it waiting for the lock to get released. I had a
    tangle with Win2kP wherein it converted my user account profiles to
    roaming profiles. It was kind enough to copy my local profiles to the
    newly created roaming versions. But I tried to revert back to local
    profiles and did a bit of copying and renaming. My suspicion is that I
    copied a Win2K account profile (contains the Mozilla profile) and copied
    a locked Mozilla profile.

    The Mozilla parent.lock file seems to be there anytime the mail&news
    system is running. But I would like to hear from a Mozilla developer on
    what the protocol is for using the lock.

    William W. Plummer, Aug 26, 2004
  4. William W. Plummer

    Moz Champion Guest

    William W. Plummer wrote:

    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> William W. Plummer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can someone tell me how parent.lock is used? When is it set and
    >>> released? Is it for a whole session or just while a critical data
    >>> structure is being fondled? Is it used by the Mozilla mail&news
    >>> program and/or the Mozilla browser?
    >>>
    >>> I'm trying to figure out if the lock is the reason my browser doesn't
    >>> work. It's possible that I copied a profile with a lock file in it.

    >> parent.lock? Um, as in where? Just where are you setting this lock in
    >> the first place?
    >>

    > Following someone's rather rude advice to "RTFM" I looked through
    > Mozilla.org and landed on http://ilias.ca/netscape/profilefaq/ and found
    > "Netscape 7 Help". I assume (or at least, presume) this applies to the
    > Mozilla browser. Section 2 documents the files in the profile folder
    > and what they are for. "parent.lock" (or "lock" or ".parentlock") is
    > on page 4.
    >
    > I don't set or clear the lock directly. This is something the Mozilla
    > program(s) do when they want to gain exclusive access to the profile.
    > This avoids two processess reading the profile, independently deciding
    > on changes that need to be made, and writing it back to the profile
    > directory. The last guy wins but the other guy never hears that his
    > changes didn't take. Locks are a way to avoid this situation.
    >
    > I suspect that maybe my problem with the Mozilla browser not starting
    > have to do with it waiting for the lock to get released. I had a
    > tangle with Win2kP wherein it converted my user account profiles to
    > roaming profiles. It was kind enough to copy my local profiles to the
    > newly created roaming versions. But I tried to revert back to local
    > profiles and did a bit of copying and renaming. My suspicion is that I
    > copied a Win2K account profile (contains the Mozilla profile) and copied
    > a locked Mozilla profile.
    >
    > The Mozilla parent.lock file seems to be there anytime the mail&news
    > system is running. But I would like to hear from a Mozilla developer on
    > what the protocol is for using the lock.

    That lock simply indicates that the file is in use. If such were the
    case, then you would get an indication of such through a warning dialoge

    As I recall somethiing along the lines of

    "Profile <name> is already in use"
    Since you are not getting this warning dialogue, then I think we can
    safely assume that its NOT the item preventing you from starting up.
    Besides, even if ALL your profiles had the 'lock' set, you would still
    be able to start and then select to start a new profile, which wouldnt
    have the lock set of course.

    No, thats NOT the reason you are experiencing problems

    parent.lock or lock simply is a flag that tells Mozilla that that
    specific profile is already in use. It only comes into play when you
    attempt to start that specific profile, and would result in a warning
    dialogue if set, not prevent the program from launching.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Aug 26, 2004