    Bob Guest

    Hi does anybody know of any free software that will control length of time
    on pc,tia Bob

    Bob, Jan 10, 2005

  2. Bob

    mAineAc Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > Hi does anybody know of any free software that will control length of time
    > on pc,tia Bob

    yes it is called a parent.

    mAineAc

    mAineAc, Jan 10, 2005

  3. On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 10:41:36 GMT, "Bob" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi does anybody know of any free software that will control length of time
    >on pc,tia Bob

    Nope. 2wire's home networking devices have a built in parental
    control that allows a parent to allocate internet access time and
    duration among other things. If you have DSL you might look into
    their product offerings.

    Swill

    --
    If electricity comes from electrons,
    does morality come from morons?

    Governor Swill, Jan 10, 2005
  4. Bob

    Fred Guest

    "Governor Swill" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 10:41:36 GMT, "Bob" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi does anybody know of any free software that will control length of time
    >>on pc,tia Bob
    >>

    > Nope. 2wire's home networking devices have a built in parental
    > control that allows a parent to allocate internet access time and
    > duration among other things. If you have DSL you might look into
    > their product offerings.

    Give them a laptop with a nearly flat battery.

    Fred, Jan 10, 2005
  5. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Tue,
    11 Jan 2005 09:45:27 +1300, "Fred" <> screamed
    from behind the mulberry bush:

    >"Governor Swill" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 10:41:36 GMT, "Bob" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi does anybody know of any free software that will control length of time
    >>>on pc,tia Bob
    >>>

    >> Nope. 2wire's home networking devices have a built in parental
    >> control that allows a parent to allocate internet access time and
    >> duration among other things. If you have DSL you might look into
    >> their product offerings.
    >>

    >Give them a laptop with a nearly flat battery.

    Set a timer and then go tell them to get the hell off of the thing.

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Jan 11, 2005
  6. On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:57:36 -0500, Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor
    <> wrote:

    >>> Nope. 2wire's home networking devices have a built in parental
    >>> control that allows a parent to allocate internet access time and
    >>> duration among other things. If you have DSL you might look into
    >>> their product offerings.
    >>>

    >>Give them a laptop with a nearly flat battery.
    >>

    >Set a timer and then go tell them to get the hell off of the thing.

    Please, the guy clearly has to deal with not being where his kids are
    when they're on the net. Like when he's at work or out doing life
    stuff that people who don't spend 12+ hours a day in front of a PC
    aren't used to doing. There are any number of ways to do it in the
    marketplace.

    He can even do it for free without paying for software or a service.
    Instead of a router, use your PC as a server for the network. Then
    set up internet access on the client machines as you like as Server
    Administrator. You can even prevent the installation of software and
    can manage AV, spyware, intrusion control and other security functions
    for everybody's machine from your own desktop, even remotely from a
    laptop in a phone booth. Get a copy of Networking for Dummies ($17
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764516779/103-2091263-9119853?v=glance
    to find out how.

    Of course there's hundreds of dollars worth of extra hardware you'll
    need, it'll take a good bit of time and work to set up even if you go
    wireless which escalates your hardware costs, you'll have to get a
    copy of a server OS like Novelle's Netware, 2000 Server, Mac OSX
    server, or any number of other server OSses that cost less and it can
    chew hours out of your week keeping the network running properly until
    you get it all sorted out.

    But hey, he won't have to pay anybody ten bucks a month to do it for
    him or spend a hundred bucks on some program that'll handle it across
    his lan.

    Swill

    Governor Swill, Jan 11, 2005
  7. Bob

    PuppyKatt Guest

    Hide the keyboard and mouse or, like I did: A few years back, my kids would
    not let me access my own computer, so one day while they were out, I
    re-arranged the house and had the computer plugged into an outlet that was
    controlled by a wall switch. When I wanted the computer, I gave a 5 minute
    warning to finish up, save, and make room for Mommy. If they were too busy
    in a chat room or doing some other unimportant stuff, I then gave a
    one-minute warning. After that, I hit the switch. The five minute warning
    still works! When I am gone to hospital with Dad now, I hide the keyboard
    and mouse.

    PuppyKatt, Jan 12, 2005