    D70 camera kit for about $100 to $150 less than the rest, and these have a
    slightly unclear statement about the warranty.

    - Magnusfarce

    Magnusfarce, Oct 10, 2004

  2. > Looking at several on-line sellers, I'm noticing that some who offer
    > equipment at even slightly below the average price claim to have a "US
    > warranty". Is this precisely the same as the manufacturer's warranty or
    > am
    > I being a little paranoid?
    >
    > I've ordered equipment in the past from some of the higher rated sellers
    > and
    > had no trouble. In this case, I've seen a few sellers offering the Nikon
    > D70 camera kit for about $100 to $150 less than the rest, and these have a
    > slightly unclear statement about the warranty.

    In general, saying the camera has a "US warranty" means that it has a legit
    warranty here in the US, as opposed to a warranty good someplace else
    (wherever the gray market camera may originally have been wholesaled).
    However, saying it has a "US warranty" is still no guarantee, unless it's
    clearly a warranty from the manufacturer. I've noticed a number of
    retailers saying that a product may be warranted by either the manufacturer
    *or* themselves. Uh-uh. You do not, ever, want a "warranty" from a company
    that may not exist down the road, nor has any facilities for taking care of
    something that goes wrong.

    Best bet would be to go to the manufacturer's website and see if the place
    you're looking to buy from is listed as an authorized dealer. If so,
    chances are you're fine. If not, you may want to go elsewhere.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Mike Jacoubowsky, Oct 10, 2004

  3. Magnusfarce wrote:
    > Looking at several on-line sellers, I'm noticing that some who offer
    > equipment at even slightly below the average price claim to have a "US
    > warranty". Is this precisely the same as the manufacturer's warranty or
    > am
    > I being a little paranoid?
    >
    > I've ordered equipment in the past from some of the higher rated sellers
    > and
    > had no trouble. In this case, I've seen a few sellers offering the Nikon
    > D70 camera kit for about $100 to $150 less than the rest, and these have a
    > slightly unclear statement about the warranty.
    >
    > - Magnusfarce

    While most of us would us that term to mean a warranty from the
    manufacturer's US owned or commissioned company, it is not certain. I
    suggest you verify that before you buy. I would need a very serious
    reduction in price to make a non-manufacturer warranted camera attractive.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Oct 10, 2004
  4. Magnusfarce

    spodosaurus Guest

    Magnusfarce wrote:
    > Looking at several on-line sellers, I'm noticing that some who offer
    > equipment at even slightly below the average price claim to have a "US
    > warranty". Is this precisely the same as the manufacturer's warranty or am
    > I being a little paranoid?

    Many companies have branches in different countries in order to control
    price and distribution. These companies have warranties that are only
    valid in there particular countries. Canon, for example, won't honour a
    warranty here in Australia unless you buy the camera with a Canon
    Australia warranty. This becomes a problem because Canon Australia are
    price gouging, making many people want to buy from the USA.
    Unfortunately, those cameras ordered from the USA have to be sent back
    to the USA for warranty.

    spodosaurus, Oct 10, 2004
  5. Magnusfarce

    Linda_N Guest

    > Looking at several on-line sellers, I'm noticing that some who offer
    > equipment at even slightly below the average price claim to have a "US
    > warranty". Is this precisely the same as the manufacturer's warranty or
    > am
    > I being a little paranoid?
    >
    > I've ordered equipment in the past from some of the higher rated sellers
    > and
    > had no trouble. In this case, I've seen a few sellers offering the Nikon
    > D70 camera kit for about $100 to $150 less than the rest, and these have a
    > slightly unclear statement about the warranty.
    >
    > - Magnusfarce

    Many extended warranties are being offered by 3rd party companies. Some
    manufacturer's offer their own extended warranty plan which tends to be a
    higher price than some 3rd parties.

    There are many 3rd party extended warranty companies that set-up as a set-up
    (grab lots of dollars, honor no warranty work and close when the heat gets
    too hot [especially true in the used car industry]) so it is really a buyer
    beware of the fat man offering to give you some of his food. The work gets
    done, the company doesn't pay the manufacturer (or authorized repair shop)
    and sooner or later the manufacturer stops honoring extended warranties from
    that 3rd party leaving the customer holding the bag.

    The best thing to do is call the manufacturer of the product you are looking
    to place an extended warranty on and ask them for the list of 3rd party
    extended warranty companies that they honor and recognize as valid. If they
    are not at liberty to say that just ask them specifically 'do you honor
    warranty work being covered by [insert name of 3rd party here]. The
    manufacturer can answer a pointed question with yes or no without risking
    legal repercussion.

    Linda

    Linda_N, Oct 10, 2004
  6. Magnusfarce

    Tony Guest

    You've got good reason to worry. There is more than one store claiming a US
    Warantee which gives you thier instore warantee (and which isn't worth the
    paper they don't even print it on) and when you ask where is the US Warantee
    they answer "We're in the US".
    Stick with honest stores like Adorama. They advertise higher prices but
    deliver at the price advertised with the guarantee advertised and without
    excessive shipping charges and without insisting on selling overpriced
    extras (some of which were supposed to come with the camera anyway) in order
    to sell you a camera. These places are always a bad deal.
    http://www.adoramacamera.com

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto