Paranoia

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by nobody760, Jun 27, 2004.

  1. nobody760

    nobody760 Guest

    First, found this:

    http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articles/CPU/CPU Temperatures.shtml

    Right my perceived problem is this: my MB gave up the ghost and I put in a
    new MSI KM2M Combo board - which is nice.

    I reused the old heat sink, fan and memory and yes I did apply paste.

    With this board came a program called PC4 Alert - which is not nice. It is
    totally bug ridden and has crashed my machine and safe mode, system restore
    and deletion of said prog means that I am writing this post now!

    However Aida32 tells me that the cpu temperature is 60C at the moment and
    rises to about 64, 65.

    I note from the article that it says if your temp is 20C less than the
    critical levels all is well but the nerds all talk of temps of Siberian mid
    winter levels!

    So my knowledgeable friends can you dispel my paranoia.

    Athlon XP 2000 Palomino core. 256 SDRAM.

    nobody760, Jun 27, 2004

  2. nobody760

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "nobody760" <> wrote in message

    > However Aida32 tells me that the cpu temperature is 60C at the moment and
    > rises to about 64, 65.

    > Athlon XP 2000 Palomino core. 256 SDRAM.

    That seems pretty hot. I run a P4 2.8 (Prescott) with no extra cooling and
    bog standard heatsink and fan -
    mobo 40 deg C
    CPU 46-48 deg C

    --
    Mr Scebe
    Losers always whine about their 'best'.

    Mr Scebe, Jun 27, 2004

  3. nobody760

    Peter Guest

    nobody760 wrote:
    > However Aida32 tells me that the cpu temperature is 60C at the moment and
    > rises to about 64, 65.
    > Athlon XP 2000 Palomino core. 256 SDRAM.

    AMD info here ...
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/24309.pdf

    My PC is standard Athlon XP 2400+ and normal temperature is 50 - 60 deg C,
    depending on room temperature and CPU load.
    A XP2000 rising to 65 C sounds warm - you might want to check cooling setup
    is ok.

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, Jun 27, 2004
  4. nobody760

    cowboyz Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > nobody760 wrote:
    >> However Aida32 tells me that the cpu temperature is 60C at the
    >> moment and rises to about 64, 65.
    >> Athlon XP 2000 Palomino core. 256 SDRAM.

    > AMD info here ...

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/2430
    9.pdf

    > My PC is standard Athlon XP 2400+ and normal temperature is 50 - 60
    > deg C, depending on room temperature and CPU load.
    > A XP2000 rising to 65 C sounds warm - you might want to check cooling
    > setup is ok.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Peter

    I have a Palamino chip and they are damn hot buggers. Mine is at 43C with a
    Volcano 9+ sitting on top of it. It was up around the 70 with the AMD
    approved fan that came with the chip. It has alot to do with your case/air
    flow system fans other crap inside your machine. Interesting to note that
    I built a XP2500+ with a Barton core and then thing run at 30C with the
    same fan that was on the pally. You can pickup some serious fans really
    cheap if you don't mine the noise or you can look at your entire systems
    cooling - not just the CPU.

    cowboyz, Jun 27, 2004
  5. nobody760

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mr Scebe wrote:
    > "nobody760" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> However Aida32 tells me that the cpu temperature is 60C at the
    >> moment and rises to about 64, 65.

    >> Athlon XP 2000 Palomino core. 256 SDRAM.

    > That seems pretty hot. I run a P4 2.8 (Prescott) with no extra
    > cooling and bog standard heatsink and fan -
    > mobo 40 deg C
    > CPU 46-48 deg C

    Apples and oranges.

    Palamino's were a bit hot-running and didn't come with the world's greatest
    HSF. If the reading is from the CPU doide then it's not too bad really. A
    little higher than *I'd* like but not panic stations. Do you have good case
    ventilation? You need it with a Palomino, at least a fan in (bottom) and a
    fan out (near CPU). As it's winter it could get quite a bit hotter in
    summer. The next generation of Athlon's, the thouroughbreds, ran quite a bit
    cooler.

    You need to bear in mind that the CPU has probably been running at similar
    temps all along, with the previous mobo, you just didn't know it. For
    temperature monitoring you can't go past Motherboard Monitor 5, the latest
    version has pre-sets for well over a thousand boards, you just select yours
    from a list during install/update. I wouldn't run a PC without it. MSI
    boards are not a bad board.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jun 28, 2004