Paranoia or Heightened Awareness?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by dwacon, Oct 10, 2004.

  1. dwacon

    dwacon Guest

    Notice that lately when I boot up (Windows Server 2003) that ZoneAlarm (ZA
    Security Suite 5.1) gives me three notifications about programs:

    Internet Information Services trying to act as a server
    inetinfo.exe
    0.0.0.0:port 1030

    Internet Information Services trying to act as a server
    inetinfo.exe
    127.0.0.1:port 3456

    DvzMsgr.exe is trying to access the internet
    DvzMsgr.exe
    68.100.16.30:DNS

    I denied all three and it didn't seem to make any difference. As a
    precaution, I went into Administrative tools and prohibited Web Service
    Extensions for Internet Data Connector (httpodbc.dll)

    I ran PestPatrol, AntiVirus and AdAware -- all three came up negative.

    Any other tips?

    TIA

    --
    Is that a dead cat in a box on the ground next to me...
    or is it a metaphor for my desire to be in a house of ill repute?
    dwacon, Oct 10, 2004

  2. dwacon

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 09:46:16 -0400, dwacon wrote:

    >Notice that lately when I boot up (Windows Server 2003) that ZoneAlarm (ZA
    >Security Suite 5.1) gives me three notifications about programs:
    >
    >Internet Information Services trying to act as a server
    >inetinfo.exe

    IIS is a server, HTTP, FTP, Web Admin services. If you aren't using it
    as such, it's best to set the service to Start Up - Disabled.

    >0.0.0.0:port 1030
    >
    >Internet Information Services trying to act as a server
    >inetinfo.exe
    >127.0.0.1:port 3456

    Same.

    >DvzMsgr.exe is trying to access the internet

    Find out if it belons to any known app by searching for the file, check
    the directory it's in , the version information.

    >DvzMsgr.exe
    >68.100.16.30:DNS

    As for this www.google.com
    http://www.google.com/search?q=DvzMsgr.exe

    dvzmsgr - dvzmsgr.exe - Process Information
    WinTasks Process Library. dvzmsgr - dvzmsgr.exe - Process Information.
    .... dsentry.exe,
    dvdkeyauth.exe, dvzmsgr.exe. dw.exe, dwrcs.exe, dxdllreg.exe. ...
    www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/dvzmsgr/ - 101k
    - Cached - Similar pages

    Free Computer Support - AmazingTechs.com
    .... card motherboard modem broadband dialup dial up dmoz dmoz blazefind
    yahoo yahoo
    yahoo searchcentral.cc sncntr.exe sncntr dvzmsgr.exe marsfind
    hotwebsearch ...
    www.amazingtechs.com/ - 49k - 9 Oct 2004 - Cached - Similar pages

    Analysis of Running Software
    .... comctl32.dll. NOT a Pest, dvzmsgr.exe,
    systemroot+\dvzcommon\dslib.prc. NOT
    a Pest, dvzmsgr.exe, systemroot+\dvzcommon\dsmgr.dll. NOT a ...
    http://research.pestpatrol.com/Analyses/2004-08-30_011318.asp - 26k -
    Cached - Similar pages

    There are lots of pages in the hits from Google, try reading a few.

    why?, Oct 10, 2004

  3. dwacon

    dwacon Guest

    Great advice. Thanks!

    --
    The generation that used acid to escape reality
    is now using antacid to deal with reality
    dwacon, Oct 10, 2004
  4. dwacon

    XcitableBoi Guest

    You are running a server OS and yet you wonder?

    XcitableBoi, Oct 10, 2004