    1. Advertising

  1. Andrew Lambert

    Gordon Guest

    Gordon, Aug 21, 2007

  2. Jason Fanning, Aug 21, 2007
  3. Andrew Lambert

    Mutlley Guest

    Jason Fanning <> wrote:

    >Andrew Lambert wrote:
    >> http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/bye-bye-...ks-animation-go-exclusively-hd-dvd-291339.php
    >>

    >Definitely not RIP Blu-Ray, just another corporation trying to stuff
    >everyone up. At least if they supported both formats they would sell
    >more units, this way they will only sell to the people willing to get a
    >HD-DVD player as well.

    Just wish the price of HD DVD players in NZ would come down to
    something like $400 rather than the $1500 + they are now..
    Mutlley, Aug 21, 2007
  4. Jason Fanning wrote:
    > Andrew Lambert wrote:
    >> http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/bye-bye-...ks-animation-go-exclusively-hd-dvd-291339.php
    >>

    > Definitely not RIP Blu-Ray, just another corporation trying to stuff
    > everyone up. At least if they supported both formats they would sell
    > more units, this way they will only sell to the people willing to get a
    > HD-DVD player as well.

    Thats probably what was said with the VHS-BETA
    one format will prevail, Others will have to follow
    Sony for example.. They are obviously on the blue ray camp with the PS3,
    However they also tried to go beta.... and had to follow with VHS

    Beta was a better standard, but vhs was good enough and it was cheaper..

    paramount and dreamworks are going HD because its cheaper to manufacturer
    Andrew Lambert, Aug 21, 2007
  5. Andrew Lambert

    sam Guest

    Andrew Lambert wrote:
    > Jason Fanning wrote:
    >> Andrew Lambert wrote:
    >>> http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/bye-bye-...ks-animation-go-exclusively-hd-dvd-291339.php
    >>>

    >> Definitely not RIP Blu-Ray, just another corporation trying to stuff
    >> everyone up. At least if they supported both formats they would sell
    >> more units, this way they will only sell to the people willing to get
    >> a HD-DVD player as well.

    > Thats probably what was said with the VHS-BETA
    > one format will prevail, Others will have to follow
    > Sony for example.. They are obviously on the blue ray camp with the PS3,
    > However they also tried to go beta.... and had to follow with VHS
    >
    > Beta was a better standard, but vhs was good enough and it was cheaper..
    >
    > paramount and dreamworks are going HD because its cheaper to manufacturer

    Its a different situation now though.
    A Beta player or VHS player were large investments for the customer
    because they were electromechanical, and there was no alternative.
    Now DVD players are $50, and there are plenty of standard dvds on the
    market, so the stakes are not so high.
    Exclusive availability of premium titles might help, but not as much as
    wide availability of lots of titles cheaply, thats what clinched the
    deal for vhs
    It looks like hd-dvd has the advantages, adequacy, cheaper to
    manufacture, cheaper players on the market, no region coding, more porn,
    lets see if pirates adopt it. :).
    For the movie studios, its just sending a file to a manufacturer, they
    are being paid for their support of each format by the stakeholders that
    stand to gain from the licencing of the technology. They probably have
    opt outs based on targets.
    But it is interesting that Sony (Beta) and JVC and Matsushita (VHS) and
    Philips are all on the Blu-ray side this time.
    "A plague on both their houses".
    sam, Aug 21, 2007
  6. Mutlley wrote:

    > Just wish the price of HD DVD players in NZ would come down to
    > something like $400 rather than the $1500 + they are now..

    Are HD-DVD players that much over there? A PS3 is only $1200, I thought
    the HD-DVD's were cheaper than them?
    Jason Fanning, Aug 21, 2007
  7. Andrew Lambert

    Kent Smith Guest

    Jason Fanning wrote:
    > Andrew Lambert wrote:
    >> http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/bye-bye-...ks-animation-go-exclusively-hd-dvd-291339.php

    > Definitely not RIP Blu-Ray, just another corporation trying to stuff
    > everyone up. At least if they supported both formats they would sell
    > more units, this way they will only sell to the people willing to get
    > a HD-DVD player as well.

    If a company wants to ostracise a large chunk of it's customer base then
    they'd better be hoping it pays off. :)

    -KENT
    Kent Smith, Aug 22, 2007
  8. Andrew Lambert

    Mutlley Guest

    Jason Fanning <> wrote:

    >Mutlley wrote:
    >
    >> Just wish the price of HD DVD players in NZ would come down to
    >> something like $400 rather than the $1500 + they are now..

    >Are HD-DVD players that much over there? A PS3 is only $1200, I thought
    >the HD-DVD's were cheaper than them?

    Yes,

    http://www.toshibanz.co.nz/default.asp?ObjectID=526

    Had a quick look for retail store who had them but couldn't find any..
    Mutlley, Aug 22, 2007
  9. On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 09:24:47 +1200, sam <> wrote:

    >Andrew Lambert wrote:
    >> Jason Fanning wrote:
    >>>>

    >>> Definitely not RIP Blu-Ray, just another corporation trying to stuff
    >>> everyone up. At least if they supported both formats they would sell
    >>> more units, this way they will only sell to the people willing to get
    >>> a HD-DVD player as well.

    >> Thats probably what was said with the VHS-BETA
    >> one format will prevail, Others will have to follow
    >> Sony for example.. They are obviously on the blue ray camp with the PS3,
    >> However they also tried to go beta.... and had to follow with VHS
    >>
    >> Beta was a better standard, but vhs was good enough and it was cheaper..
    >>
    >> paramount and dreamworks are going HD because its cheaper to manufacturer

    >Its a different situation now though.
    >A Beta player or VHS player were large investments for the customer
    >because they were electromechanical, and there was no alternative.
    >Now DVD players are $50, and there are plenty of standard dvds on the
    >market, so the stakes are not so high.

    Exactly. When VHS and Beta fought it out, VCR's brought something
    completely new to the market (both the ability to view prerecorded
    video and timeshift/record onair tv programmes). There was nothing
    else on the market.

    DVD brought new features such as random access, special features and
    (limited) user interactivity. Higher quality sound and audio was nice
    too but not unique in the market.

    Neither Bluray nor HD-DVD offer anything groundbreaking. Its just a
    better version of what is already available (and only if you have the
    additional equipment to take advantage of this).
    Jason Clinton, Aug 22, 2007
  10. Mutlley wrote:

    > Yes,
    >
    > http://www.toshibanz.co.nz/default.asp?ObjectID=526
    >
    > Had a quick look for retail store who had them but couldn't find any..

    Man they are expensive, Toshiba don't have an Ireland shop, but the UK
    one converts to $712, and $1850 for those two models, you guys are
    getting ripped off. The price of my PS3 doesn't seem too bad now..
    Jason Fanning, Aug 22, 2007
  11. Andrew Lambert

    Mutlley Guest

    Jason Fanning <> wrote:

    >Mutlley wrote:
    >>
    >> Yes,
    >>
    >> http://www.toshibanz.co.nz/default.asp?ObjectID=526
    >>
    >> Had a quick look for retail store who had them but couldn't find any..

    >Man they are expensive, Toshiba don't have an Ireland shop, but the UK
    >one converts to $712, and $1850 for those two models, you guys are
    >getting ripped off. The price of my PS3 doesn't seem too bad now..

    Tell us something we don't know.. :)
    Mutlley, Aug 22, 2007