    over-bloated profit. If you really want better prices, then you're usually
    much better to import the item yourself from an reliable overseas
    webstore.
    Your Name, Nov 23, 2011

  2. On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 09:13:32 +1300, (Your Name)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Frank Williams
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/11/22/vendors_fury_as_retailers_buck_price_fix/
    >
    >Parallel imports having better prices is largely a myth. The greedy
    >parallel importers simply looks at the local retail price and then take a
    >few dollars off to make it look cheaper, but they still make an
    >over-bloated profit. If you really want better prices, then you're usually
    >much better to import the item yourself from an reliable overseas
    >webstore.

    Total Joke, Freight is the killer Tax and Import duty and problems with
    payment

    From you comment you never read the article.
    Frank Williams, Nov 23, 2011
  3. Frank Williams

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Allistar
    <> wrote:
    > Frank Williams wrote:
    > > On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 09:13:32 +1300, (Your Name)
    > > wrote:
    > >>In article <>, Frank Williams
    > >><> wrote:
    > >>

    >>http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/11/22/vendors_fury_as_retailers_buck_price_fix/
    > >>
    > >>Parallel imports having better prices is largely a myth. The greedy
    > >>parallel importers simply looks at the local retail price and then take a
    > >>few dollars off to make it look cheaper, but they still make an
    > >>over-bloated profit. If you really want better prices, then you're usually
    > >>much better to import the item yourself from an reliable overseas
    > >>webstore.

    > > Total Joke, Freight is the killer Tax and Import duty and problems with
    > > payment

    > In my experience even when you take into account freight it can be much
    > cheaper to import things from the states than buy locally. I was quoted
    > $1100 for 10 ACME threaded nuts from a Matamata company while the same cost
    > about US$30 each. Even taking into account freight and the exchange rate
    > that was considerably cheaper.

    Yep. Obviously it can depend on what you're importing, but many things can
    be personally imported quite a bit cheaper than buying locally from normal
    retailers or parallel importers.
    Your Name, Nov 24, 2011
  4. Frank Williams

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Frank Williams
    <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 09:13:32 +1300, (Your Name)
    > wrote:
    > >In article <>, Frank Williams
    > ><> wrote:
    > >>

    >http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/11/22/vendors_fury_as_retailers_buck_price_fix/
    > >
    > >Parallel imports having better prices is largely a myth. The greedy
    > >parallel importers simply looks at the local retail price and then take a
    > >few dollars off to make it look cheaper, but they still make an
    > >over-bloated profit. If you really want better prices, then you're usually
    > >much better to import the item yourself from an reliable overseas
    > >webstore.

    > Total Joke, Freight is the killer Tax and Import duty and problems with
    > payment
    >
    > From you comment you never read the article.

    From your comment you obviously don't know what your're talking about ...
    but then that's nothing new. :-\
    Your Name, Nov 24, 2011
  5. On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 13:15:50 +1300, (Your Name)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Allistar
    ><> wrote:
    >> Frank Williams wrote:
    >> >>

    >>>http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/11/22/vendors_fury_as_retailers_buck_price_fix/

    >> > Total Joke, Freight is the killer Tax and Import duty and problems with
    >> > payment

    >> In my experience even when you take into account freight it can be much
    >> cheaper to import things from the states than buy locally. I was quoted
    >> $1100 for 10 ACME threaded nuts from a Matamata company while the same cost
    >> about US$30 each. Even taking into account freight and the exchange rate
    >> that was considerably cheaper.

    >Yep. Obviously it can depend on what you're importing, but many things can
    >be personally imported quite a bit cheaper than buying locally from normal
    >retailers or parallel importers.

    Only if you are buying from say http://www.dealextreme.com/ but thats
    for Chinese junk , but not for say a Cannon or Nikon camera.
    Frank Williams, Nov 24, 2011
  6. On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 13:17:11 +1300, (Your Name)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Frank Williams
    ><> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 09:13:32 +1300, (Your Name)
    >> wrote:
    >> >In article <>, Frank Williams
    >> ><> wrote:
    >> >>

    >>http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/11/22/vendors_fury_as_retailers_buck_price_fix/
    >> >
    >> >Parallel imports having better prices is largely a myth. The greedy
    >> >parallel importers simply looks at the local retail price and then take a
    >> >few dollars off to make it look cheaper, but they still make an
    >> >over-bloated profit. If you really want better prices, then you're usually
    >> >much better to import the item yourself from an reliable overseas
    >> >webstore.

    >> Total Joke, Freight is the killer Tax and Import duty and problems with
    >> payment
    >>
    >> From you comment you never read the article.

    >From your comment you obviously don't know what your're talking about ...
    >but then that's nothing new. :-\

    No been there done all that little Boy, I have been around on this
    earth a lot longer than you.

    Plus I will state again you never read the article.
    Frank Williams, Nov 24, 2011
  7. Frank Williams

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Frank Williams
    <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 13:15:50 +1300, (Your Name)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>, Allistar
    > ><> wrote:
    > >> >>

    >>>http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/11/22/vendors_fury_as_retailers_buck_price_fix/

    usually

    > >> In my experience even when you take into account freight it can be much
    > >> cheaper to import things from the states than buy locally. I was quoted
    > >> $1100 for 10 ACME threaded nuts from a Matamata company while the

    same cost
    > >> about US$30 each. Even taking into account freight and the exchange rate
    > >> that was considerably cheaper.

    > >Yep. Obviously it can depend on what you're importing, but many things can
    > >be personally imported quite a bit cheaper than buying locally from normal
    > >retailers or parallel importers.

    > Only if you are buying from say http://www.dealextreme.com/ but thats
    > for Chinese junk , but not for say a Cannon or Nikon camera.

    Complete bollocks! But you go ahead and continue paying over-bloated
    prices for your products while many of us know better.
    Your Name, Nov 24, 2011
  8. Frank Williams

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Frank Williams
    <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 13:17:11 +1300, (Your Name)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>, Frank Williams
    > ><> wrote:
    > >> >>

    >>http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/11/22/vendors_fury_as_retailers_buck_price_fix/

    > >> Total Joke, Freight is the killer Tax and Import duty and problems with
    > >> payment
    > >>
    > >> From you comment you never read the article.

    > >From your comment you obviously don't know what your're talking about ...
    > >but then that's nothing new. :-\

    > No been there done all that little Boy, I have been around on this
    > earth a lot longer than you.
    >
    > Plus I will state again you never read the article.

    You continue to prove that you don't have any idea at all what you're
    talking about. :-\
    Your Name, Nov 24, 2011
  9. Frank Williams

    Me Guest

    On 24/11/2011 1:15 p.m., Your Name wrote:
    > In article<>, Allistar
    > <> wrote:
    >> Frank Williams wrote:
    >>>>

    >>> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/11/22/vendors_fury_as_retailers_buck_price_fix/

    >>> Total Joke, Freight is the killer Tax and Import duty and problems with
    >>> payment

    >> In my experience even when you take into account freight it can be much
    >> cheaper to import things from the states than buy locally. I was quoted
    >> $1100 for 10 ACME threaded nuts from a Matamata company while the same cost
    >> about US$30 each. Even taking into account freight and the exchange rate
    >> that was considerably cheaper.

    > Yep. Obviously it can depend on what you're importing, but many things can
    > be personally imported quite a bit cheaper than buying locally from normal
    > retailers or parallel importers.

    I'm going to order $1200 worth of wallpaper tonight from the UK. Cost,
    including freight, GST and handling charge will be about $700. It
    should arrive direct to my door via DHL much faster than the lead time
    the local retailer claims is needed.
    Perhaps someone can show me that there's an economic benefit to NZ for
    me to give $500 to someone locally in exchange for no service/doing
    nothing productive.
    Me, Nov 24, 2011
  10. On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 16:14:49 +1300, (Your Name)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Frank Williams
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 13:17:11 +1300, (Your Name)
    >> wrote:

    >>>http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/11/22/vendors_fury_as_retailers_buck_price_fix/

    >> >From your comment you obviously don't know what your're talking about ...
    >> >but then that's nothing new. :-\

    >> No been there done all that little Boy, I have been around on this
    >> earth a lot longer than you.
    >>
    >> Plus I will state again you never read the article.

    >You continue to prove that you don't have any idea at all what you're
    >talking about. :-\

    Yes empty vessels make the most Noise.

    Plus I will state again you never read the article.
    Frank Williams, Nov 24, 2011
  11. Frank Williams

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Frank Williams
    <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 16:14:49 +1300, (Your Name)
    > wrote:
    > >In article <>, Frank Williams
    > ><> wrote:
    > >>

    >>>http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/11/22/vendors_fury_as_retailers_buck_price_fix/

    then take a

    you're usually

    > >> No been there done all that little Boy, I have been around on this
    > >> earth a lot longer than you.
    > >>
    > >> Plus I will state again you never read the article.

    > >You continue to prove that you don't have any idea at all what you're
    > >talking about. :-\

    > Yes empty vessels make the most Noise.
    >
    > Plus I will state again you never read the article.

    I really don't give a crap what some idiotic UK-based Internet article
    says. The FACT is that me and many other people have proven the garbage
    you're saying is, as usual, completely wrong. END OF STORY.

    But you believe what moronic garbage you want to delude yourself with -
    it's your money you're wasting. :-\
    Your Name, Nov 24, 2011
  12. Frank Williams

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, whoisthis
    <> wrote:

    > > In my experience even when you take into account freight it can be much
    > > cheaper to import things from the states than buy locally. I was quoted
    > > $1100 for 10 ACME threaded nuts from a Matamata company while the same cost
    > > about US$30 each. Even taking into account freight and the exchange rate
    > > that was considerably cheaper.

    > Yep, and currently Amazon in the UK is offering free shipping to NZ for
    > orders over UK$25. I also bought in my Mac Mini server from the USA,
    > including buying the 3 year extended warranty, shipping, GST, etc I saved
    > $300.

    The only "problem" with electronic stuff is usually the different wall
    plug, but that's not difficult to overcome (especially on Apple's power
    supplies which have interchangeable heads, although they can be
    expensive).

    For books, the UK's Book Depository website always has free international
    shipping (even on heavy items) and some good prices (displayed in $NZ
    too).
    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk
    Your Name, Nov 24, 2011
  13. Frank Williams

    David Empson Guest

    Allistar <> wrote:

    > Your Name wrote:

    > >> Yep, and currently Amazon in the UK is offering free shipping to NZ for
    > >> orders over UK$25. I also bought in my Mac Mini server from the USA,
    > >> including buying the 3 year extended warranty, shipping, GST, etc I saved
    > >> $300.

    > > The only "problem" with electronic stuff is usually the different wall
    > > plug, but that's not difficult to overcome (especially on Apple's power
    > > supplies which have interchangeable heads, although they can be
    > > expensive).

    > When I first saw the interchangable heads I thought it was an elegant
    > solution. But in reality the plug is too heavy and sticks too far out from
    > the wall, and so slips out of the wall. I'm forever pushing them back in so
    > they are seated properly. Perhaps US style prongs "hold on" tighter.

    I haven't encountered that with a wall-mounted Airport Express, which
    has the same detachable plug and is a similar weight to the current 85W
    power adapter for the MacBook Pro (the older 85W adapater was larger and
    heavier so might have had a problem). I've used the full length power
    cord rather than clip-on plug with my last two MacBook Pros so haven't
    encountered that problem. The 60W and 45W adapaters used by 13" MacBook
    Pro and the MacBook Air are lighter so should be fine.

    Unless your power sockets have loose contacts, of course. In which case
    they should probably be replaced.

    No issue for the iPhone or iPad power adapter (5W or 10W) which is much
    smaller and lighter.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Nov 25, 2011
  14. Frank Williams

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Allistar
    <> wrote:
    > Your Name wrote:

    > >> Yep, and currently Amazon in the UK is offering free shipping to NZ for
    > >> orders over UK$25. I also bought in my Mac Mini server from the USA,
    > >> including buying the 3 year extended warranty, shipping, GST, etc I saved
    > >> $300.

    > > The only "problem" with electronic stuff is usually the different wall
    > > plug, but that's not difficult to overcome (especially on Apple's power
    > > supplies which have interchangeable heads, although they can be
    > > expensive).

    > When I first saw the interchangable heads I thought it was an elegant
    > solution. But in reality the plug is too heavy and sticks too far out from
    > the wall, and so slips out of the wall. I'm forever pushing them back in so
    > they are seated properly. Perhaps US style prongs "hold on" tighter.

    I have seen those plug-only heads, but never used them. There are (or at
    least were) also interchangeable heads for the power bricks that have a
    cable up to the normal wall plug.
    Your Name, Nov 25, 2011
  15. Frank Williams

    victor Guest

    On 25/11/2011 8:59 a.m., Your Name wrote:

    > I really don't give a crap what some idiotic UK-based Internet article
    > says. The FACT is that me and many other people have proven the garbage
    > you're saying is, as usual, completely wrong. END OF STORY.
    >
    > But you believe what moronic garbage you want to delude yourself with -
    > it's your money you're wasting. :-\

    I think the point of the faux indignant article Roger thinks you didn't
    read was the specific example of Nikon's misguided concept regarding
    firmware geo-blocking.
    That is just bluff to keep their retailers, sweet, there's always a way
    round it.
    victor, Nov 25, 2011
  16. On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 08:59:31 +1300, (Your Name)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Frank Williams
    ><> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 16:14:49 +1300, (Your Name)
    >> wrote:

    >then take a

    >you're usually

    >> >You continue to prove that you don't have any idea at all what you're
    >> >talking about. :-\

    >> Yes empty vessels make the most Noise.
    >>
    >> Plus I will state again you never read the article.

    >I really don't give a crap what some idiotic UK-based Internet article
    >says. The FACT is that me and many other people have proven the garbage
    >you're saying is, as usual, completely wrong. END OF STORY.
    >
    >But you believe what moronic garbage you want to delude yourself with -
    >it's your money you're wasting. :-\

    Seems that you cant even Read it was a OZZY thing posted for a UK news
    site..
    Frank Williams, Nov 25, 2011
  17. Frank Williams

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-11-24, Me <> wrote:

    > I'm going to order $1200 worth of wallpaper tonight from the UK. Cost,
    > including freight, GST and handling charge will be about $700. It
    > should arrive direct to my door via DHL much faster than the lead time
    > the local retailer claims is needed.
    > Perhaps someone can show me that there's an economic benefit to NZ for
    > me to give $500 to someone locally in exchange for no service/doing
    > nothing productive.

    The question is when it costs more to ship it here than making it here would
    cost. It is not cost, but energy which will rule in our lifetimes
    Gordon, Nov 25, 2011
  18. Frank Williams

    Donchano Guest

    On 25 Nov 2011 03:13:08 GMT, Gordon <> shouted from
    the highest rooftop:

    >On 2011-11-24, Me <> wrote:
    >> >

    >> I'm going to order $1200 worth of wallpaper tonight from the UK. Cost,
    >> including freight, GST and handling charge will be about $700. It
    >> should arrive direct to my door via DHL much faster than the lead time
    >> the local retailer claims is needed.
    >> Perhaps someone can show me that there's an economic benefit to NZ for
    >> me to give $500 to someone locally in exchange for no service/doing
    >> nothing productive.
    >>

    >The question is when it costs more to ship it here than making it here would
    >cost. It is not cost, but energy which will rule in our lifetimes

    Would you care to justify that statement?
    Donchano, Nov 25, 2011
  19. Frank Williams

    Your Name Guest

    In article <>, Frank Williams
    <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 08:59:31 +1300, (Your Name)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>, Frank Williams
    > ><> wrote:

    Williams

    > >then take a

    > >you're usually

    problems with

    about ...

    > >> Yes empty vessels make the most Noise.
    > >>
    > >> Plus I will state again you never read the article.

    > >I really don't give a crap what some idiotic UK-based Internet article
    > >says. The FACT is that me and many other people have proven the garbage
    > >you're saying is, as usual, completely wrong. END OF STORY.
    > >
    > >But you believe what moronic garbage you want to delude yourself with -
    > >it's your money you're wasting. :-\

    > Seems that you cant even Read it was a OZZY thing posted for a UK news
    > site..

    I never mentioned where it was written, I said the it was a UK-based
    Internet article. You really need to get at least one braincell. :-\
    Your Name, Nov 25, 2011