    Also, if your camera came with a charger did you have to buy an adapter
    to plug it into a NZ mains socket?
    , Dec 28, 2004

  2. Gurble Guest

    On 28 Dec 2004 14:22:45 -0800, had this to say:

    >I'm seriously considering buying a parallel imported digital camera
    >from e-Top Online http://www.etop.co.nz
    >
    >It appears they offer their own 12 month warranty on all the cameras
    >they sell. Has anyone had to return a camera to these guys? How quick
    >did they turn around the repair?

    Don't know about these guys, but most of the other parallel importers
    will then return the camera from whence it came, meaning a delay of
    weeks or months.

    Worth asking the question.

    Other thing is, you want to make sure they're going to be around to
    honour the warranty, as the local distributors wont want a bar of it,
    leaving you PC Company'd if they quietly disappear.

    >Also, if your camera came with a charger did you have to buy an adapter
    >to plug it into a NZ mains socket?

    Again, worth asking the question.
    Gurble, Dec 28, 2004

  3. Gurble Guest

    Gurble, Dec 28, 2004
  4. Guest

    I have fired off an email and will let everyone know the answers.

    I'm looking at a Nikon Coolpix 3700 - a nice simple point and shoot
    ultra-compact camera. $360 for the parallel imported jobby; $449 is the
    cheapest price for one sourced via the NZ distributor. I've spent hours
    reading reviews so don't try and change my mind :)
    , Dec 29, 2004

  6. On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:41:01 -0800, "James West" <> wrote:

    >hmm
    >
    >$499 from Noel Leemings
    >
    >free case and 128MB CF card not to be sniffed at
    >
    >14 days no reason money back or 30 days exchange
    >
    >James

    You can haggle with them as I got $100 off a $700 camera.

    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 29, 2004

    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 29, 2004
  8. writes:

    >I'm seriously considering buying a parallel imported digital camera
    >from e-Top Online http://www.etop.co.nz

    >It appears they offer their own 12 month warranty on all the cameras
    >they sell. Has anyone had to return a camera to these guys? How quick
    >did they turn around the repair?

    >Also, if your camera came with a charger did you have to buy an adapter
    >to plug it into a NZ mains socket?

    I was looking at this a few months ago, while it's been a long-established
    rule that the prices for flash memory in NZ are exactly twice the US prices, I
    didn't expect this difference to carry over to cameras as well. The one I
    wanted was $300 cheaper from Amazon (which isn't even the cheapest source)
    including shipping and tax, that's 40% less than the best NZ price (e-Top).
    If you're going to be getting a parallel import (where you're likely to get a
    US or Asian manual and power adapter anyway, the ones I've seen are usually
    Asian-sourced) you may as well do it yourself and save another few hundred
    dollars.

    (I've always wondered why there isn't at least one NZ vendor who sells flash
    memory at realistic prices, they'd make an absolute killing).

    Peter.
    Peter Gutmann, Dec 29, 2004

    Peter Gutmann, Dec 29, 2004
  10. On 29 Dec 2004 08:24:59 GMT, (Peter Gutmann) wrote:

    > writes:
    >
    >>I'm seriously considering buying a parallel imported digital camera
    >>from e-Top Online http://www.etop.co.nz

    >>It appears they offer their own 12 month warranty on all the cameras
    >>they sell. Has anyone had to return a camera to these guys? How quick
    >>did they turn around the repair?

    >>Also, if your camera came with a charger did you have to buy an adapter
    >>to plug it into a NZ mains socket?

    >I was looking at this a few months ago, while it's been a long-established
    >rule that the prices for flash memory in NZ are exactly twice the US prices, I
    >didn't expect this difference to carry over to cameras as well. The one I
    >wanted was $300 cheaper from Amazon (which isn't even the cheapest source)
    >including shipping and tax, that's 40% less than the best NZ price (e-Top).
    >If you're going to be getting a parallel import (where you're likely to get a
    >US or Asian manual and power adapter anyway, the ones I've seen are usually
    >Asian-sourced) you may as well do it yourself and save another few hundred
    >dollars.
    >
    >(I've always wondered why there isn't at least one NZ vendor who sells flash
    > memory at realistic prices, they'd make an absolute killing).
    >
    >Peter.

    Yes Flashcards

    http://www.flashcards.co.nz
    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 29, 2004
  11. On 29 Dec 2004 08:24:59 GMT, (Peter Gutmann) wrote:

    > writes:
    >
    >>I'm seriously considering buying a parallel imported digital camera
    >>from e-Top Online http://www.etop.co.nz

    >>It appears they offer their own 12 month warranty on all the cameras
    >>they sell. Has anyone had to return a camera to these guys? How quick
    >>did they turn around the repair?

    >>Also, if your camera came with a charger did you have to buy an adapter
    >>to plug it into a NZ mains socket?

    >I was looking at this a few months ago, while it's been a long-established
    >rule that the prices for flash memory in NZ are exactly twice the US prices, I
    >didn't expect this difference to carry over to cameras as well. The one I
    >wanted was $300 cheaper from Amazon (which isn't even the cheapest source)
    >including shipping and tax, that's 40% less than the best NZ price (e-Top).
    >If you're going to be getting a parallel import (where you're likely to get a
    >US or Asian manual and power adapter anyway, the ones I've seen are usually
    >Asian-sourced) you may as well do it yourself and save another few hundred
    >dollars.
    >
    >(I've always wondered why there isn't at least one NZ vendor who sells flash
    > memory at realistic prices, they'd make an absolute killing).
    >
    >Peter.

    Yes Flashcards

    http://www.flashcards.co.nz
    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 29, 2004
  12. Nelly Guest

    On 28 Dec 2004 14:22:45 -0800, wrote:

    >I'm seriously considering buying a parallel imported digital camera
    >from e-Top Online http://www.etop.co.nz
    >
    >It appears they offer their own 12 month warranty on all the cameras
    >they sell. Has anyone had to return a camera to these guys? How quick
    >did they turn around the repair?
    >
    >Also, if your camera came with a charger did you have to buy an adapter
    >to plug it into a NZ mains socket?

    I bought a Fuji S7000 camera from them last year and am pleased to
    report I have had no problems. The camera hasn't needed to be repaired
    and their service was excellent.

    Nelly.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours :)
    Nelly, Dec 29, 2004
  13. Nelly Guest

    Nelly, Dec 29, 2004
  14. Nelly Guest

    Sorry, that was E-town I bought the camera from.

    Nelly, Dec 29, 2004
  15. Nelly Guest

    Nelly, Dec 29, 2004
  16. Guest

    Reply from E-top:

    1) the repairing will be held at auckland, new zealand.
    only serious problems or replacement need to be send to overseas.
    depends on how serious the problems is. small probelms, only takes
    about 3-4 working days.
    hard to say about the serious problems.
    2) it already includes the adapter already
    , Dec 29, 2004

  18. Guest

    I can get a case and flash card at wholesale prices through work.
    Camera case $10, 128MB SD card $27, so the Noel Leeming deal would
    still cost $100 more all up.
    , Dec 29, 2004

  20. -=rjh=- Guest

    Aspiringpsychopath wrote:
    > On 29 Dec 2004 08:24:59 GMT, (Peter Gutmann) wrote:
    >

    >> writes:

    >>(I've always wondered why there isn't at least one NZ vendor who sells flash
    >>memory at realistic prices, they'd make an absolute killing).
    >>
    >>Peter.

    > Yes Flashcards
    >
    > http://www.flashcards.co.nz

    Yeah! What he said! (Though I hate to say it :)

    Seriously, flashcards.co.nz are really good, with good prices and
    excellent service - my last order arrived within 24 hours, not bad for
    the week before Xmas.
    -=rjh=-, Dec 29, 2004