    telstra emails - every one I have received arrives in my email box at
    12:03 am. I have received 5 of them now - and yes I have logged it with
    the 'desk ...... they aren't particularly interested at all really......
    smf, Feb 6, 2006

  2. smf

    Ross Dawson Guest

    On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 07:16:45 +1300, smf <time.enough***@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >So now getting email every night to tell me I have used one more block
    >over my cap. Just wondering if anyone else had noticed a pattern in the
    >telstra emails - every one I have received arrives in my email box at
    >12:03 am. I have received 5 of them now - and yes I have logged it with
    >the 'desk ...... they aren't particularly interested at all really......

    Yep been getting them as well.

    --
    Cheers for now

    Ross Dawson.
    Ross Dawson, Feb 6, 2006

  3. On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 07:16:45 +1300, smf <time.enough***@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >So now getting email every night to tell me I have used one more block
    >over my cap. Just wondering if anyone else had noticed a pattern in the
    >telstra emails - every one I have received arrives in my email box at
    >12:03 am. I have received 5 of them now - and yes I have logged it with
    >the 'desk ...... they aren't particularly interested at all really......

    I despair of Paradise/Telstra getting their act together. My usage
    meter seems OK.

    However, back when the new plans were introduced it was noted here
    that the modem rental charge had also been removed from existing
    customers invoices.
    Today I received my latest invoice, which includes a rental charge for
    Nov, Dec & Jan. No explanation offered. I guess it was too good to
    hope for!

    I note on Mon's DomPost a story that TC has axed 60 jobs, twice as
    many as proposed following a review last year.

    <http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3562296a28,00.html>

    The story does state

    "Ms Laing says TelstraClear's total headcount is unchanged at about
    1400 as newly-created roles have been filled."

    and then

    "The review also highlighted the need for "internal system
    improvements, such as billing system integration" to improve customer
    service."

    Given their recent response to usage meter and other problems I guess
    "Yeah, right" is the appropriate comment.

    --
    Regards
    Malcolm
    Malcolm Moore, Feb 6, 2006
  4. On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 07:16:45 +1300, smf wrote:

    > So now getting email every night to tell me I have used one more block
    > over my cap. Just wondering if anyone else had noticed a pattern in the
    > telstra emails - every one I have received arrives in my email box at
    > 12:03 am. I have received 5 of them now - and yes I have logged it with
    > the 'desk ...... they aren't particularly interested at all really......

    Why are you still using Telstra?

    Paradise hasn't existed in anything other than name for quite some time
    now. The key elements that made Paradise as good as it was have long gone.

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    --
    A year after Bill Gates' company wide email on security, Windows was hit
    with several nasty worms including Slammer, Sobig, and Blaster. The viruses
    Heisse Kapiti Trinken, Feb 6, 2006
  5. smf

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <pan.2006.02.06.23.33.55.328013@r.>,
    Heisse Kapiti Trinken <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 07:16:45 +1300, smf wrote:
    >
    > > So now getting email every night to tell me I have used one more block
    > > over my cap. Just wondering if anyone else had noticed a pattern in the
    > > telstra emails - every one I have received arrives in my email box at
    > > 12:03 am. I have received 5 of them now - and yes I have logged it with
    > > the 'desk ...... they aren't particularly interested at all really......

    > Why are you still using Telstra?
    >
    > Paradise hasn't existed in anything other than name for quite some time
    > now. The key elements that made Paradise as good as it was have long gone.

    True, but where else can you get 2 Mbps upload speeds and a static IP
    for under $100/month?

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    Bruce Hoult, Feb 6, 2006
  6. On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 12:47:30 +1300, Bruce Hoult wrote:

    >> Paradise hasn't existed in anything other than name for quite some time
    >> now. The key elements that made Paradise as good as it was have long gone.

    > True, but where else can you get 2 Mbps upload speeds and a static IP
    > for under $100/month?

    Orcon?

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken, Feb 7, 2006
  7. smf

    Peter Guest

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken wrote:

    > On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 07:16:45 +1300, smf wrote:
    >
    >> So now getting email every night to tell me I have used one more block
    >> over my cap. Just wondering if anyone else had noticed a pattern in the
    >> telstra emails - every one I have received arrives in my email box at
    >> 12:03 am. I have received 5 of them now - and yes I have logged it with
    >> the 'desk ...... they aren't particularly interested at all really......

    > Why are you still using Telstra?

    In my own case, I don't know, but I am seriously considering returning to
    the Telecom fold about the time the new 'phone book comes out (remember you
    need to get the wheels rolling about three months before and there is still
    a likelihood that Telecom Directories will botch things up).
    Peter, Feb 7, 2006
  8. smf

    Tony Guest

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 12:47:30 +1300, Bruce Hoult wrote:
    >
    >>> Paradise hasn't existed in anything other than name for quite some time
    >>> now. The key elements that made Paradise as good as it was have long gone.

    >> True, but where else can you get 2 Mbps upload speeds and a static IP
    >> for under $100/month?

    > Orcon?

    nope

    Tony, Feb 7, 2006
  9. smf

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <pan.2006.02.07.00.16.32.383183@r.>,
    Heisse Kapiti Trinken <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 12:47:30 +1300, Bruce Hoult wrote:
    >
    > >> Paradise hasn't existed in anything other than name for quite some time
    > >> now. The key elements that made Paradise as good as it was have long gone.

    > > True, but where else can you get 2 Mbps upload speeds and a static IP
    > > for under $100/month?

    > Orcon?

    URL, please.

    I can see 2 Mbps down DSL (presumably 128 kbps up), but I didn't see
    anything with 2 Mbps up.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    Bruce Hoult, Feb 7, 2006
  10. On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 15:04:03 +1300, Tony wrote:

    > Heisse Kapiti Trinken wrote:

    >>> True, but where else can you get 2 Mbps upload speeds and a static IP
    >>> for under $100/month?

    >> Orcon?
    >>

    > nope

    I was under the impression that Orcon did not charge for static IP
    numbers, and that a 2bm ... <snip>

    Ah!

    *Upload* speeds!

    Why do you need that sort of upload speed? :eek:)

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    --
    Adam L. Penenberg: "The next time Bill G. promises to make software that is
    so fundamentally secure that customers never have to worry about it, ask him
    Heisse Kapiti Trinken, Feb 7, 2006
  11. smf

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <pan.2006.02.07.04.20.43.689184@r.>,
    Heisse Kapiti Trinken <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 15:04:03 +1300, Tony wrote:
    >
    > > Heisse Kapiti Trinken wrote:

    > >> Orcon?
    > >>

    > > nope

    > I was under the impression that Orcon did not charge for static IP
    > numbers, and that a 2bm ... <snip>
    >
    > Ah!
    >
    > *Upload* speeds!
    >
    > Why do you need that sort of upload speed? :eek:)

    Because sometimes I'm at home grabbing stuff from elsewhere, and
    sometimes I'm elsewhere grabbing stuff from home. Just this afternoon I
    was in town at a client's and realized I'd left behind an important 5 MB
    file. 20 seconds later I'd scp'd it onto my laptop. If I'd had 128
    kbps DSL at home then it would have taken over five minutes.

    Or, a few days ago I uploaded 54 MB of pictures I'd taken at the Gliding
    Grand Prix (http://www.hoult.org/bruce/gp06/) to my web server in the
    USA. It took four minutes. On one of those DSL 128 kbps upload things
    it would have taken an hour.

    Need? *Need*? I suppose I don't NEED it. But if I can have it for a
    reasonable price then why on earth not?

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    Bruce Hoult, Feb 7, 2006
  12. On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 18:27:28 +1300, Bruce Hoult <> wrote:
    > Or, a few days ago I uploaded 54 MB of pictures I'd taken at the Gliding
    > Grand Prix (http://www.hoult.org/bruce/gp06/) to my web server in the
    > USA. It took four minutes. On one of those DSL 128 kbps upload things
    > it would have taken an hour.

    Nice pics. I see you still have a good eye for the ladies :)

    Cheers, Liam
    Liam Greenwood, Feb 7, 2006
  13. smf

    Jonno Guest

    Wow now their cable usage log in page has disappeared as well. Can't wait
    for their account. Bet that doesn't disappear
    Jonno, Feb 8, 2006
  14. On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 18:27:28 +1300, Bruce Hoult wrote:

    > In article <pan.2006.02.07.04.20.43.689184@r.>,
    > Heisse Kapiti Trinken <> wrote:

    >> > nope

    >> I was under the impression that Orcon did not charge for static IP
    >> numbers, and that a 2bm ... <snip>
    >>
    >> Ah!
    >>
    >> *Upload* speeds!
    >>
    >> Why do you need that sort of upload speed? :eek:)

    > Because sometimes I'm at home grabbing stuff from elsewhere, and
    > sometimes I'm elsewhere grabbing stuff from home. Just this afternoon I
    > was in town at a client's and realized I'd left behind an important 5 MB
    > file. 20 seconds later I'd scp'd it onto my laptop. If I'd had 128
    > kbps DSL at home then it would have taken over five minutes.
    >
    > Or, a few days ago I uploaded 54 MB of pictures I'd taken at the Gliding
    > Grand Prix (http://www.hoult.org/bruce/gp06/) to my web server in the
    > USA. It took four minutes. On one of those DSL 128 kbps upload things
    > it would have taken an hour.
    >
    > Need? *Need*? I suppose I don't NEED it. But if I can have it for a
    > reasonable price then why on earth not?

    True!

    What exactly is the sort of plan that you're on? Are you on 1/4 DSL
    (2mbit/s) for both up and download speeds?

    And what does that cost per month?

    I'm curious.

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken, Feb 8, 2006
  15. smf

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    Heisse Kapiti Trinken <> wrote:

    > >> Why do you need that sort of upload speed? :eek:)

    > > Because sometimes I'm at home grabbing stuff from elsewhere, and
    > > sometimes I'm elsewhere grabbing stuff from home. Just this afternoon I
    > > was in town at a client's and realized I'd left behind an important 5 MB
    > > file. 20 seconds later I'd scp'd it onto my laptop. If I'd had 128
    > > kbps DSL at home then it would have taken over five minutes.
    > >
    > > Or, a few days ago I uploaded 54 MB of pictures I'd taken at the Gliding
    > > Grand Prix (http://www.hoult.org/bruce/gp06/) to my web server in the
    > > USA. It took four minutes. On one of those DSL 128 kbps upload things
    > > it would have taken an hour.
    > >
    > > Need? *Need*? I suppose I don't NEED it. But if I can have it for a
    > > reasonable price then why on earth not?

    > True!
    >
    > What exactly is the sort of plan that you're on? Are you on 1/4 DSL
    > (2mbit/s) for both up and download speeds?
    >
    > And what does that cost per month?

    Cable 2M down/2M up, 10 GB, static IP, and a telephone for
    $101.90/month. "Phone and HighSpeed 10G" at
    http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products-res/packages/residential_pricing
    ..cfm.

    The bad stuff is that you *have* to take a phone -- I'd rather get just
    the internet part for $70 -- and that there is no discount for local or
    national traffic.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    Bruce Hoult, Feb 8, 2006
  16. On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 19:30:30 +1300, Bruce Hoult wrote:

    >> What exactly is the sort of plan that you're on? Are you on 1/4 DSL
    >> (2mbit/s) for both up and download speeds?
    >>
    >> And what does that cost per month?

    > Cable 2M down/2M up, 10 GB, static IP, and a telephone for
    > $101.90/month. "Phone and HighSpeed 10G" at
    > http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products-res/packages/residential_pricing
    > .cfm.
    >
    > The bad stuff is that you *have* to take a phone -- I'd rather get just
    > the internet part for $70 -- and that there is no discount for local or
    > national traffic.

    What happens if you use more than 10gigs in any one calendar month?

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken, Feb 8, 2006
  17. smf

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    Heisse Kapiti Trinken <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 19:30:30 +1300, Bruce Hoult wrote:
    >
    > >> What exactly is the sort of plan that you're on? Are you on 1/4 DSL
    > >> (2mbit/s) for both up and download speeds?
    > >>
    > >> And what does that cost per month?

    > > Cable 2M down/2M up, 10 GB, static IP, and a telephone for
    > > $101.90/month. "Phone and HighSpeed 10G" at
    > > http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products-res/packages/residential_pricing
    > > .cfm.
    > >
    > > The bad stuff is that you *have* to take a phone -- I'd rather get just
    > > the internet part for $70 -- and that there is no discount for local or
    > > national traffic.

    > What happens if you use more than 10gigs in any one calendar month?

    You get to pay $5 per extra 500 MB.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    Bruce Hoult, Feb 8, 2006
  18. smf

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 18:27:28 +1300, Bruce Hoult wrote:
    >
    > > In article <pan.2006.02.07.04.20.43.689184@r.>,
    > > Heisse Kapiti Trinken <> wrote:

    > >> I was under the impression that Orcon did not charge for static IP
    > >> numbers, and that a 2bm ... <snip>
    > >>
    > >> Ah!
    > >>
    > >> *Upload* speeds!
    > >>
    > >> Why do you need that sort of upload speed? :eek:)

    > > Because sometimes I'm at home grabbing stuff from elsewhere, and
    > > sometimes I'm elsewhere grabbing stuff from home. Just this afternoon I
    > > was in town at a client's and realized I'd left behind an important 5 MB
    > > file. 20 seconds later I'd scp'd it onto my laptop. If I'd had 128
    > > kbps DSL at home then it would have taken over five minutes.
    > >
    > > Or, a few days ago I uploaded 54 MB of pictures I'd taken at the Gliding
    > > Grand Prix (http://www.hoult.org/bruce/gp06/) to my web server in the
    > > USA. It took four minutes. On one of those DSL 128 kbps upload things
    > > it would have taken an hour.
    > >
    > > Need? *Need*? I suppose I don't NEED it. But if I can have it for a
    > > reasonable price then why on earth not?

    > True!
    >
    > What exactly is the sort of plan that you're on? Are you on 1/4 DSL
    > (2mbit/s) for both up and download speeds?
    >
    > And what does that cost per month?
    >
    > I'm curious.
    >

    > Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    Oh it's David Murray again... I'm not!
    Rob J, Feb 8, 2006
  19. smf

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > In article <>, says...
    >> Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    > Oh it's David Murray again... I'm not!

    Nymshifter Mk II, Roger Sheppard being the Mk I version. It must be
    miserable being so obnoxious that you have to keep changing your nick to try
    to trick people into talking to you.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 8, 2006
  20. smf

    shannon Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > In article <>, says...
    >> On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 18:27:28 +1300, Bruce Hoult wrote:

    >>> Because sometimes I'm at home grabbing stuff from elsewhere, and
    >>> sometimes I'm elsewhere grabbing stuff from home. Just this afternoon I
    >>> was in town at a client's and realized I'd left behind an important 5 MB
    >>> file. 20 seconds later I'd scp'd it onto my laptop. If I'd had 128
    >>> kbps DSL at home then it would have taken over five minutes.
    >>>
    >>> Or, a few days ago I uploaded 54 MB of pictures I'd taken at the Gliding
    >>> Grand Prix (http://www.hoult.org/bruce/gp06/) to my web server in the
    >>> USA. It took four minutes. On one of those DSL 128 kbps upload things
    >>> it would have taken an hour.
    >>>
    >>> Need? *Need*? I suppose I don't NEED it. But if I can have it for a
    >>> reasonable price then why on earth not?

    >> True!
    >>
    >> What exactly is the sort of plan that you're on? Are you on 1/4 DSL
    >> (2mbit/s) for both up and download speeds?
    >>
    >> And what does that cost per month?
    >>
    >> I'm curious.
    >>

    >> Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    > Oh it's David Murray again... I'm not!