    Since when is the 30-Nov, or 1-Dec, to the 24th (or in their case probably the
    23rd) "a month"?? And after for leech session on the 30th I've almost blown half
    my cap already :-(

    Invisible, Dec 1, 2005

  2. Invisible

    James T Guest

    I am a new cable high speed internet user and wouldn't you believe it, the
    cable usage meter has been down all week. The following message is
    displayed:

    "We are currently experiencing technical difficulties with this Usage Meter
    and as a result your usage details are not being displayed. We apologise for
    the inconvenience and are working to resolve this as soon as possible."

    The meter also says that my cable account has been active since 15 November,
    but it was installed several days after this date.

    This is very frustrating because I have no idea what amount of the 1 Gig
    limit I have used. I have been using Google Earth quite a bit, and I am a
    bit worried this might use up quite a lot of my traffic limit. Does anyone
    know whether Google Earth is a heavy traffic user? Also what about film
    trailers, do they use up much traffic?

    But to be positive, it is great to be able to download a 25Mb program in
    less than 3 minutes when on dial up it took at least 75 minutes. I had
    expected a time of about 75 seconds, rather than about 180 seconds for a 25
    Mb 2Mbps download, but it's still pretty fast.

    James T, Dec 2, 2005

  3. Invisible

    EMB Guest

    James T wrote:

    > But to be positive, it is great to be able to download a 25Mb program in
    > less than 3 minutes when on dial up it took at least 75 minutes. I had
    > expected a time of about 75 seconds, rather than about 180 seconds for a 25
    > Mb 2Mbps download, but it's still pretty fast.

    2Mb/s is about 230kB/s which equates to almost 14MB/min, so your 75
    second expectation is somewhat optimistic. If I multi-thread my
    downloads I get a fairly consistent 12.5MB/min on a 2Mb/s ADSL
    connnction with a consequent 2 min download time for 25MB.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Dec 2, 2005
  4. Invisible

    Bruce Knox Guest

    On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 09:11:10 +1300, Invisible <>
    wrote:

    >I signed up for this service and it was activated on Nov 9 (after waiting 6
    >weeks since the initial phone call). The billing cycle said: "...monthly usage
    >cycle which ends on : 30-November-2005"
    >
    >So I have about 500mb left on the 30th, time for a leech-spree! But the bastards
    >have included the 30th Nov in the current cycle which ends:
    >
    >"...monthly usage cycle which ends on : 24-December-2005"
    >
    >Since when is the 30-Nov, or 1-Dec, to the 24th (or in their case probably the
    >23rd) "a month"?? And after for leech session on the 30th I've almost blown half
    >my cap already :-(

    Hi,
    I have been on the ADSL service for some time. They just got
    the metre working properly but it seems a bit unstable. At the moment
    it says I have used 7.5GB but a look at the monthly detail shows that
    I have used less and it should be around just 0.9GB. It has also
    changed my roll over date from 4th to the 24th. I assure you it is
    normally a full month and has always rolled over on the 4th up till
    now. I have put in a help desk call and they say their techs are
    looking into it.
    Bruce.

    Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
    http://physio.otago.ac.nz

    Bruce Knox, Dec 2, 2005
  5. Invisible

    James T Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > James T wrote:
    >
    >> But to be positive, it is great to be able to download a 25Mb program in
    >> less than 3 minutes when on dial up it took at least 75 minutes. I had
    >> expected a time of about 75 seconds, rather than about 180 seconds for a
    >> 25 Mb 2Mbps download, but it's still pretty fast.

    > 2Mb/s is about 230kB/s which equates to almost 14MB/min, so your 75 second
    > expectation is somewhat optimistic. If I multi-thread my downloads I get
    > a fairly consistent 12.5MB/min on a 2Mb/s ADSL connnction with a
    > consequent 2 min download time for 25MB.

    Yes I was a bit optimistic, as I understand it 8 megabits = 1 megabyte.
    Therefore, the Telstra high speed internet rate of 2 megabits per second
    (mbps) downstream is equivalent to 0.25 megabytes per second. So at 2
    megabits per second, you would get 1 megabyte of data downloaded in 4
    seconds. Therefore, for a 25 megabyte file, it should take 100 seconds to
    download at 2mbps. However, with a Microsoft Windows update, I downloaded 25
    MB at a rate of 1 megabyte every 7 seconds, which is a bit slower than the
    optimum of 1 megabyte every 4 seconds.

    James T, Dec 2, 2005