    My Settings are all ok.

    What gives?

    JB
    John Bartlett, Nov 29, 2006

  2. John Bartlett

    Earl Grey Guest

    John Bartlett wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Anyone else unable to send e-mail via Paradise at present? I haven't
    > been able to since yesterday
    >
    > http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co.nz/
    >
    > "Some paradise.net customers may be experiencing problems sending email
    > whereby they are prompted to enter a username and password when sending
    > a message. If this is occurring, please ensure you do not have SMTP
    > authentication enabled in your email program."
    >
    > My Settings are all ok.
    >
    > What gives?
    >
    > JB

    Mine stopped with exactly that problem and I had to change T'Bird settings
    If you are using Thunderbird, go to Account Settings, Outgoing Server,
    Edit, and untick "Use Name and Password"
    In OE its Accounts, Properties, Servers, Outgoing Mail Server, untick
    "My Server requires authentication"
    Earl Grey, Nov 29, 2006

  3. John Bartlett

    David Empson Guest

    John Bartlett <> wrote:

    > Anyone else unable to send e-mail via Paradise at present? I haven't
    > been able to since yesterday

    A client of mine (on Paradise, dial-up) has had the opposite problem
    since Tuesday: they can send e-mail but can't fetch any. The POP3 server
    is reporting an error "authorization first".

    I'm still investigating (without having to resort to their helldesk) but
    it looks like they might have changed their POP server and something has
    resulted in it breaking with some e-mail clients.

    In this case, the e-mail client is the Mac OS X version of Eudora. I've
    verified the problem with my own copy of Eudora, confirmed that we have
    the account name and password right, and discovered it works OK with
    another e-mail client (Apple's "Mail"). I've also used Eudora's logging
    features to get the full details, and it is failing on the "auth PLAIN"
    command.

    Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

    One of the guys at work today mentioned yet another problem with
    Paradise e-mail, also only just started happening: if he attempts to
    send e-mail to anyone outside of the paradise.net.nz domain, it gets
    rejected with a "recipient error".

    What did they do, install a random problem generator?
    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Nov 29, 2006
  4. John Bartlett

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 21:52:24 +1300, in message <>,
    John Bartlett wrote:

    > Anyone else unable to send e-mail via Paradise at present?

    No problems here.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Nov 29, 2006
  5. John Bartlett

    thingy Guest

    John Bartlett wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Anyone else unable to send e-mail via Paradise at present? I haven't
    > been able to since yesterday
    >
    > http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co.nz/
    >
    > "Some paradise.net customers may be experiencing problems sending email
    > whereby they are prompted to enter a username and password when sending
    > a message. If this is occurring, please ensure you do not have SMTP
    > authentication enabled in your email program."
    >
    > My Settings are all ok.
    >
    > What gives?
    >
    > JB

    I see no issues using fetchmail so this suggests a broken client at your
    end.

    hermes:~# fetchmail -vc -u xxxxxx -p pop3 pop3.paradise.net.nz
    Enter password for :
    fetchmail: 6.2.5 querying pop3.paradise.net.nz (protocol POP3) at Thu
    Nov 30 06:52:44 2006: poll started
    fetchmail: POP3< +OK POP Server (pop5)
    fetchmail: POP3> CAPA
    fetchmail: POP3< +OK list follows
    fetchmail: POP3< TOP
    fetchmail: POP3< PIPELINING
    fetchmail: POP3< UIDL
    fetchmail: POP3< RESP-CODES
    fetchmail: POP3< AUTH-RESP-CODE
    fetchmail: POP3< USER
    fetchmail: POP3< SASL PLAIN
    fetchmail: POP3< IMPLEMENTATION MMP-6.2p3.04 Jul 15 2005
    fetchmail: POP3< .
    fetchmail: POP3> USER xxxxx
    fetchmail: POP3< +OK password required for user
    fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
    fetchmail: POP3< +OK
    fetchmail: POP3> STAT
    fetchmail: POP3< +OK 0 0
    fetchmail: No mail for xxxxxx at pop3.paradise.net.nz
    fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
    fetchmail: POP3< +OK
    fetchmail: 6.2.5 querying pop3.paradise.net.nz (protocol POP3) at Thu
    Nov 30 06:52:47 2006: poll completed
    fetchmail: normal termination, status 1

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Nov 29, 2006
  6. On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 21:52:24 +1300, John Bartlett
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Anyone else unable to send e-mail via Paradise at present? I haven't
    >been able to since yesterday
    >
    >http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co.nz/
    >
    >"Some paradise.net customers may be experiencing problems sending email
    >whereby they are prompted to enter a username and password when sending
    >a message. If this is occurring, please ensure you do not have SMTP
    >authentication enabled in your email program."
    >
    >My Settings are all ok.
    >
    >What gives?
    >
    >JB

    They've changed something, without considering the problems they may
    cause customers!
    We've had no problem (one Eudora 3.0 & one OE) but my father has had
    this prob. He uses Mozilla suite and we had to go to Edit - Mail & NG
    Account Settings - Outgoing Server (SMTP) - untick "use name and
    password".

    What client are you using?

    --
    Regards
    Malcolm
    Malcolm Moore, Nov 29, 2006
  7. thingy wrote:
    > John Bartlett wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Anyone else unable to send e-mail via Paradise at present? I haven't
    >> been able to since yesterday
    >>
    >> http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co.nz/
    >>
    >> "Some paradise.net customers may be experiencing problems sending email
    >> whereby they are prompted to enter a username and password when sending
    >> a message. If this is occurring, please ensure you do not have SMTP
    >> authentication enabled in your email program."
    >>
    >> My Settings are all ok.
    >>
    >> What gives?
    >>
    >> JB

    > I see no issues using fetchmail so this suggests a broken client at your
    > end.
    >
    > hermes:~# fetchmail -vc -u xxxxxx -p pop3 pop3.paradise.net.nz
    > Enter password for :
    > fetchmail: 6.2.5 querying pop3.paradise.net.nz (protocol POP3) at Thu
    > Nov 30 06:52:44 2006: poll started
    > fetchmail: POP3< +OK POP Server (pop5)
    > fetchmail: POP3> CAPA
    > fetchmail: POP3< +OK list follows
    > fetchmail: POP3< TOP
    > fetchmail: POP3< PIPELINING
    > fetchmail: POP3< UIDL
    > fetchmail: POP3< RESP-CODES
    > fetchmail: POP3< AUTH-RESP-CODE
    > fetchmail: POP3< USER
    > fetchmail: POP3< SASL PLAIN
    > fetchmail: POP3< IMPLEMENTATION MMP-6.2p3.04 Jul 15 2005
    > fetchmail: POP3< .
    > fetchmail: POP3> USER xxxxx
    > fetchmail: POP3< +OK password required for user
    > fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
    > fetchmail: POP3< +OK
    > fetchmail: POP3> STAT
    > fetchmail: POP3< +OK 0 0
    > fetchmail: No mail for xxxxxx at pop3.paradise.net.nz
    > fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
    > fetchmail: POP3< +OK
    > fetchmail: 6.2.5 querying pop3.paradise.net.nz (protocol POP3) at Thu
    > Nov 30 06:52:47 2006: poll completed
    > fetchmail: normal termination, status 1

    POP3 != SMTP
    Mark Robinson, Nov 29, 2006
  8. Thanks everyone especially Earl Grey for the tip on Thunderbird settings

    Works a treat now

    Cheers

    JB
    John Bartlett, Nov 30, 2006
  9. In message <1hpl5h6.1llk42t2p9f21N%>, David Empson
    wrote:

    > A client of mine (on Paradise, dial-up) has had the opposite problem
    > since Tuesday: they can send e-mail but can't fetch any. The POP3 server
    > is reporting an error "authorization first".
    >
    > I'm still investigating (without having to resort to their helldesk) but
    > it looks like they might have changed their POP server and something has
    > resulted in it breaking with some e-mail clients.
    >
    > In this case, the e-mail client is the Mac OS X version of Eudora. I've
    > verified the problem with my own copy of Eudora, confirmed that we have
    > the account name and password right, and discovered it works OK with
    > another e-mail client (Apple's "Mail"). I've also used Eudora's logging
    > features to get the full details, and it is failing on the "auth PLAIN"
    > command.

    Perhaps your POP3 client should be using USER and PASS instead of AUTH.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 30, 2006
  10. John Bartlett

    David Empson Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    > In message <1hpl5h6.1llk42t2p9f21N%>, David Empson
    > wrote:
    >
    > > A client of mine (on Paradise, dial-up) has had the opposite problem
    > > since Tuesday: they can send e-mail but can't fetch any. The POP3 server
    > > is reporting an error "authorization first".
    > >
    > > I'm still investigating (without having to resort to their helldesk) but
    > > it looks like they might have changed their POP server and something has
    > > resulted in it breaking with some e-mail clients.
    > >
    > > In this case, the e-mail client is the Mac OS X version of Eudora. I've
    > > verified the problem with my own copy of Eudora, confirmed that we have
    > > the account name and password right, and discovered it works OK with
    > > another e-mail client (Apple's "Mail"). I've also used Eudora's logging
    > > features to get the full details, and it is failing on the "auth PLAIN"
    > > command.

    > Perhaps your POP3 client should be using USER and PASS instead of AUTH.

    Yes, I know that will work, but Eudora tries to be clever: if the server
    says that it supports the AUTH command, then Eudora thinks "OK, that's
    more secure, so I'll use that one". The server then reports an error,
    and Eudora doesn't try any other method.

    USER and PASS involve sending the username and password in cleartext,
    which increases the risk of your password being stolen if the login
    sequence passes through a compromised computer (or network) on the way
    to your ISP.

    Since my previous post, I've tried it with another couple of mail
    servers. With pop3.clear.net.nz, the server gives the same response as
    Paradise (telling Eudora that it supports AUTH, using PLAIN only). In
    this case, Eudora logs on successfully with an AUTH PLAIN command.

    It looks like the Paradise mail server is broken, not correctly handling
    the command it is claiming to support.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Nov 30, 2006
  11. John Bartlett

    Dave Taylor Guest

    (David Empson) wrote in news:1hpn9w6.1gmj0a9uubg59N%
    :

    > It looks like the Paradise mail server is broken, not correctly handling
    > the command it is claiming to support.

    I agree, because it used to work.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Dec 3, 2006
  12. John Bartlett

    Tony Guest

    > "Some paradise.net customers may be experiencing problems sending email
    > whereby they are prompted to enter a username and password when sending
    > a message. If this is occurring, please ensure you do not have SMTP
    > authentication enabled in your email program."
    >
    > My Settings are all ok.

    Paradise smtp now appears to be clear smtp -

    [root@host11 ~]# telnet smtp.paradise.net.nz 25
    Trying 203.96.152.32...
    Connected to smtp.paradise.net.nz (203.96.152.32).
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 fep17.clear.net.nz -- Server ESMTP (PARADISE Net)
    Tony, Dec 3, 2006
  13. John Bartlett

    Shane Guest

    Tony wrote:

    >> "Some paradise.net customers may be experiencing problems sending email
    >> whereby they are prompted to enter a username and password when sending
    >> a message. If this is occurring, please ensure you do not have SMTP
    >> authentication enabled in your email program."
    >>
    >> My Settings are all ok.
    >>

    > Paradise smtp now appears to be clear smtp -
    >
    > [root@host11 ~]# telnet smtp.paradise.net.nz 25
    > Trying 203.96.152.32...
    > Connected to smtp.paradise.net.nz (203.96.152.32).
    > Escape character is '^]'.
    > 220 fep17.clear.net.nz -- Server ESMTP (PARADISE Net)

    It looks broken to me

    shane@slack:~$ nc -vv smtp.paradise.net.nz 25
    smtp.paradise.net.nz [203.96.152.32] 25 (smtp) open
    220 fep19.clear.net.nz -- Server ESMTP (PARADISE Net)
    ehlo

    quit
    sent 11, rcvd 55
    shane@slack:~$ nc -vv smtp.paradise.net.nz 25
    smtp.paradise.net.nz [203.96.152.32] 25 (smtp) open
    220 fep17.clear.net.nz -- Server ESMTP (PARADISE Net)
    helo
    sent 5, rcvd 55

    --
    Giant Brain #1: You have no means of escape. If you press that button, you
    will be trapped in the other universe with us.

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Dec 3, 2006