Paradise new Server Problems

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 3, 2005.

  1. Seems like its dropped out, no new Items for to-day
     
    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 3, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    Don Hills Guest

    Re: Paradise new Server Problems

    In article <>,
    Invisible <> wrote:
    >
    >That's more than I'm seeing. Idiots. How many 'new' ones did they see? There's
    >been less than 10 all day!


    As I said, they exhibited a woeful lack of clue.
    I've posted under basically the same subject using Google Groups asking if
    anyone using Paradise or Clear is not seeing the problem. All I can suggest
    at this stage is for all of the "affected" people call the help desk and
    complain, maybe if they get enough complaints they might think there really
    is something wrong. Not that I wish to inflict on any of you the tedium of
    waiting for the help desk to answer the phone...

    I chose Paradise as an ISP because they had a good reputation for service
    (and services). Good service costs money though, and I suspect the service
    has been very carefully trimmed to be no better than it has to be. It does
    annoy me though, I spent quite a few years doing phone support at a large
    company and we were proud of our quality of service. Of course, for those
    without service contracts our rate was $240 per hour. I suspect I'd be way
    overqualified to do phone support at Paradise.

    --
    Don Hills (dmhills at attglobaldotnet) Wellington, New Zealand
    "New interface closely resembles Presentation Manager,
    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    -- Microsoft advertisement on the box for Windows 2.11 for 286
     
    Don Hills, Mar 3, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Re: Paradise new Server Problems

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 18:05:10 +1200, (Don Hills)
    wrote:

    >In article <AXqJCFY/>,
    > (Don Hills) wrote:
    >>
    >>On the phone to them now...

    >
    >Sigh... significant lack of clue, all they can see is that it appears to only
    >affect cable Paradise and Clear users. They tried via dialup and saw new messages.
    >The tech is going to leave a message to the night shift guy about it, in the
    >meantime the suggested action plan is to wait and see if it fixes itself.
    >About time to find another ISP... the simple answer would be to simply
    >subscribe to a good news server, but why should Paradise get the same amount
    >of money from me while providing less service?


    Your post via Google (which I saw via news.individual.de) asked for
    feedback. I am suffering the same symptoms, it has been variable for
    several days but today is completely dead apart from these few posts
    from paradise customers.

    Something else I have just become aware of, last year their news
    server failed and they have been redirecting to Clear's. At that time
    the message id's all changed and so it was necessary to download the
    complete list of headers to get going again. Without doing that the
    symptoms were the same as at present, no messages. Wondering if they
    had got their server going again I downloaded all headers in a group
    to see if that would solve the present problem. It didn't but I now
    see that when checking my usage they are treating that download from
    news.clear.net.nz as national traffic and it counts towards the
    included data. This seems contrary to their help pages where it states

    "We also run a number of servers for which traffic charges do not
    apply to cable access customers. These include files.paradise.net.nz,
    news.paradise.net.nz, radio.paradise.net.nz, debian.paradise.net.nz
    and any of the servers listed at gamers.paradise."

    My reader is still pointing to news.paradise.net.nz. It hasn't been an
    issue yet because I haven't exceeded my traffic allowance yet, but
    customers should be aware of it. Anyone who has paid excess traffic
    charges should argue the point.

    --
    Regards
    Malcolm
    Remove sharp objects to get a valid e-mail address
     
    Malcolm Moore, Mar 3, 2005
    #3
  4. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Re: Paradise new Server Problems

    Malcolm Moore <> wrote in
    news::

    > It didn't but I now
    > see that when checking my usage they are treating that download from
    > news.clear.net.nz as national traffic and it counts towards the
    > included data. This seems contrary to their help pages where it states
    >
    > "We also run a number of servers for which traffic charges do not
    > apply to cable access customers. These include files.paradise.net.nz,
    > news.paradise.net.nz, radio.paradise.net.nz, debian.paradise.net.nz
    > and any of the servers listed at gamers.paradise."
    >
    > My reader is still pointing to news.paradise.net.nz. It hasn't been an
    > issue yet because I haven't exceeded my traffic allowance yet, but
    > customers should be aware of it. Anyone who has paid excess traffic
    > charges should argue the point.


    I sent them a support request and received a reply that the traffic to
    their news server would be deducted when the bill was generated, not when
    the usage page was viewed.
    Kind of difficult to verify without keeping the same detailed logs they
    do, but that is what they said.
    --
    Ciao, Dave
     
    Dave Taylor, Mar 3, 2005
    #4
  5. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    SchoolTech Guest

    Re: Paradise new Server Problems

    In article <> in nz.comp on Thu, 03 Mar
    2005 21:20:29 +1200, Don Hills <> says...
    > In article <>,
    > Invisible <> wrote:
    > >
    > >That's more than I'm seeing. Idiots. How many 'new' ones did they see? There's
    > >been less than 10 all day!

    >
    > As I said, they exhibited a woeful lack of clue.
    > I've posted under basically the same subject using Google Groups asking if
    > anyone using Paradise or Clear is not seeing the problem. All I can suggest
    > at this stage is for all of the "affected" people call the help desk and
    > complain, maybe if they get enough complaints they might think there really
    > is something wrong. Not that I wish to inflict on any of you the tedium of
    > waiting for the help desk to answer the phone...
    >
    > I chose Paradise as an ISP because they had a good reputation for service
    > (and services). Good service costs money though, and I suspect the service
    > has been very carefully trimmed to be no better than it has to be. It does
    > annoy me though, I spent quite a few years doing phone support at a large
    > company and we were proud of our quality of service. Of course, for those
    > without service contracts our rate was $240 per hour. I suspect I'd be way
    > overqualified to do phone support at Paradise.


    The only way you can get proper support out of Paradise is by email. I
    managed, after a fashion, to get them to fix a problem with their dialup
    modem pool, where certain modems would hang during protocol negotiation.
    All of that was conducted via email, with modem log data being forwarded.
     
    SchoolTech, Mar 3, 2005
    #5
  6. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    SchoolTech Guest

    Re: Paradise new Server Problems

    In article <> in nz.comp
    on Fri, 4 Mar 2005 08:14:09 +1300, SchoolTech
    <> says...
    > In article <> in nz.comp on Thu, 03 Mar
    > 2005 21:20:29 +1200, Don Hills <> says...
    > > In article <>,
    > > Invisible <> wrote:
    > > >
    > > >That's more than I'm seeing. Idiots. How many 'new' ones did they see? There's
    > > >been less than 10 all day!

    > >
    > > As I said, they exhibited a woeful lack of clue.
    > > I've posted under basically the same subject using Google Groups asking if
    > > anyone using Paradise or Clear is not seeing the problem. All I can suggest
    > > at this stage is for all of the "affected" people call the help desk and
    > > complain, maybe if they get enough complaints they might think there really
    > > is something wrong. Not that I wish to inflict on any of you the tedium of
    > > waiting for the help desk to answer the phone...


    Email them

    help at paradise
     
    SchoolTech, Mar 3, 2005
    #6
  7. On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 16:28:40 +1300, BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:


    >Seems like its dropped out, no new Items for to-day


    No overseas newsgroups for the last 3 days. Have just rung their
    "Help" desk and young lady said she didn't think anything was wrong
    but went away and checked with a senior technician. Came back and said
    there could be a problem and would send me an email. I really don't
    think they have a clue. And that stupid voice recognition when you
    dial them, would get any body's back up.

    Alan Keatinge
     
    Alan Keatinge, Mar 3, 2005
    #7
  8. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    thing Guest

    BILL wrote:
    >
    >
    > Seems like its dropped out, no new Items for to-day
    >
    >


    There is now no paradise news server its now the Clear one (unless they
    changed their mind and built one) after it "blew up".

    regards

    Thing
     
    thing, Mar 3, 2005
    #8
  9. Re: Paradise new Server Problems

    On 3 Mar 2005 22:51:24 +1300, Dave Taylor
    <> wrote:

    >Malcolm Moore <> wrote in
    >news::
    >
    >> It didn't but I now
    >> see that when checking my usage they are treating that download from
    >> news.clear.net.nz as national traffic and it counts towards the
    >> included data. This seems contrary to their help pages where it states
    >>
    >> "We also run a number of servers for which traffic charges do not
    >> apply to cable access customers. These include files.paradise.net.nz,
    >> news.paradise.net.nz, radio.paradise.net.nz, debian.paradise.net.nz
    >> and any of the servers listed at gamers.paradise."
    >>
    >> My reader is still pointing to news.paradise.net.nz. It hasn't been an
    >> issue yet because I haven't exceeded my traffic allowance yet, but
    >> customers should be aware of it. Anyone who has paid excess traffic
    >> charges should argue the point.

    >
    >I sent them a support request and received a reply that the traffic to
    >their news server would be deducted when the bill was generated, not when
    >the usage page was viewed.
    >Kind of difficult to verify without keeping the same detailed logs they
    >do, but that is what they said.



    That same help page I quoted says

    "We strongly recommend that you regularly check your usage. You can do
    this, in great detail, in the members section of the paradise.net
    webpage."

    If the usage logs include traffic that doesn't count towards the
    monthly limit, then they become useless for determining how close you
    are to incurring excess traffic charges.

    http://paradise.custhelp.com/cgi-bi...XJjaF90ZXh0PWxvY2FsIHNlcnZlciB0cmFmZmlj&p_li=

    Hows that for a short url :)
    --
    Regards
    Malcolm
    Remove sharp objects to get a valid e-mail address
     
    Malcolm Moore, Mar 3, 2005
    #9
  10. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    Bob McLellan Guest

    Re: Paradise new Server Problems

    Before anybody complains, at $240 per hour they were losing money.

    Don Hills wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Invisible <> wrote:
    >
    >>That's more than I'm seeing. Idiots. How many 'new' ones did they see? There's
    >>been less than 10 all day!

    >
    >
    > As I said, they exhibited a woeful lack of clue.
    > I've posted under basically the same subject using Google Groups asking if
    > anyone using Paradise or Clear is not seeing the problem. All I can suggest
    > at this stage is for all of the "affected" people call the help desk and
    > complain, maybe if they get enough complaints they might think there really
    > is something wrong. Not that I wish to inflict on any of you the tedium of
    > waiting for the help desk to answer the phone...
    >
    > I chose Paradise as an ISP because they had a good reputation for service
    > (and services). Good service costs money though, and I suspect the service
    > has been very carefully trimmed to be no better than it has to be. It does
    > annoy me though, I spent quite a few years doing phone support at a large
    > company and we were proud of our quality of service. Of course, for those
    > without service contracts our rate was $240 per hour. I suspect I'd be way
    > overqualified to do phone support at Paradise.
    >
     
    Bob McLellan, Mar 5, 2005
    #10
  11. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Re: Paradise new Server Problems

    Malcolm Moore <> wrote in
    news::

    > If the usage logs include traffic that doesn't count towards the
    > monthly limit, then they become useless for determining how close you
    > are to incurring excess traffic charges.
    >


    I completely agree.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
     
    Dave Taylor, Mar 5, 2005
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Jeremy Bentham

    Paradise: Caching Server Problem

    Jeremy Bentham, Aug 11, 2003, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    351
    Mark.
    Aug 11, 2003
  2. Ali P

    Paradise mail server

    Ali P, Feb 11, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    405
    Ali P
    Feb 12, 2004
  3. Max Burke

    !Paradise Homepages server Kaput?????

    Max Burke, Feb 11, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    506
    Enkidu
    Feb 12, 2004
  4. Brian Boutel

    Re: Paradise new Server Problems

    Brian Boutel, Mar 3, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    381
    Invisible
    Mar 3, 2005
  5. BILL     bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

    Paradise/Clear News Server Problems

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 14, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    361
    Max Burke
    Mar 14, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page