    No matter what I do I always get this message. Can anyone tell me how I can
    "teach" my browser to understand how to supply the required credentials?

    Thanks
    Kim, Jul 6, 2005

  2. Kim

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Kim" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I have been trying to change my password at Paradise Net. However, when I
    > click on the members' tab in the Paradise Net web site, I am not asked for

    > password, but I just get the following message:
    >
    > Error - 401: This server could not verify that you are authorized to

    access
    > the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong password or your
    > browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.
    >
    > Please return to our home page and navigate from the main menu
    >
    > No matter what I do I always get this message. Can anyone tell me how I

    can
    > "teach" my browser to understand how to supply the required credentials?
    >
    > Thanks

    Is cookies on?

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jul 6, 2005

  3. "Kim" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I have been trying to change my password at Paradise Net. However, when I
    > click on the members' tab in the Paradise Net web site, I am not asked for

    > password, but I just get the following message:
    >
    > Error - 401: This server could not verify that you are authorized to

    access
    > the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong password or your
    > browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

    Have Paradise got a telephone number? If so use it. If they supply the
    service they have a duty to help you fix problems like this.

    Roger Dewhurst, Jul 6, 2005
  4. Kim

    A.D. Guest

    Kim wrote:
    > I have been trying to change my password at Paradise Net. However, when I
    > click on the members' tab in the Paradise Net web site, I am not asked for a
    > password, but I just get the following message:
    >
    > Error - 401: This server could not verify that you are authorized to access
    > the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong password or your
    > browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.
    >
    > Please return to our home page and navigate from the main menu
    >
    > No matter what I do I always get this message. Can anyone tell me how I can
    > "teach" my browser to understand how to supply the required credentials?
    >
    > Thanks

    To fix this problem, close the browser window (the one giving you the
    error) and open a new browser window.

    Each browser window has a separate session with the paradise website.
    That error message is only displayed after a couple of incorrect
    guesses. You can not teach your browser to get around this one.

    Cheers
    A.D.
    A.D., Jul 6, 2005
  5. Kim

    Kim Guest

    Thanks for these replies. I tried opening new browser windows until there
    were 5 of them open at once. Not one of these attempts let me into the
    members' area. I have cookies enabled thanks Scrooge. I don't understand
    what you mean by "a couple of incorrect guesses". I have not been asked to
    supply my password. I might try to do it on another computer and see what
    happens. Paradise Net has got a lot worse lately and during busy times in
    the evening it is hard to even get on. Perhaps I need a new ISP, are there
    any that don't suffer from overload problems and which don't keeep telling
    you that they are under frequent attack so that you have to change your
    password regularly?

    Thanks

    Kim, Jul 6, 2005
  6. Kim wrote:
    > Thanks for these replies. I tried opening new browser windows until there
    > were 5 of them open at once. Not one of these attempts let me into the
    > members' area. I have cookies enabled thanks Scrooge. I don't understand
    > what you mean by "a couple of incorrect guesses". I have not been asked to
    > supply my password. I might try to do it on another computer and see what
    > happens. Paradise Net has got a lot worse lately and during busy times in
    > the evening it is hard to even get on. Perhaps I need a new ISP, are there
    > any that don't suffer from overload problems and which don't keeep telling
    > you that they are under frequent attack so that you have to change your
    > password regularly?
    >
    > Thanks

    I have another suggestion. The page may be cached on your computer and
    not loading a fresh copy from the server.

    To fix this:
    - go to the homepage, http://www.paradise.net.nz/
    - press the CTRL and F5 keys at the same time

    This is called a "hard refresh". After preforming a hard refresh, click
    the members button and it should give you the username/password prompt.

    Also, as for alternative ISPs, clear.net (still TelstraClear) works well
    for me. Never had a problem with access, overloading yet.

    A.D.
    a.d. (formerly A.D.), Jul 7, 2005
  7. Kim

    Kim Guest

    Thanks AD for your "hard refresh" suggestion. However, this did not work,
    perhaps there is a setting in the browser that needs to be altered?

    Kim, Jul 7, 2005
  8. Kim wrote:
    > Thanks AD for your "hard refresh" suggestion. However, this did not work,
    > perhaps there is a setting in the browser that needs to be altered?

    You've stumped me. I'm out. Paradise Faults 0800 467 272, say "technical
    assistance" and pray for a short wait in the queue.

    A.D.
    a.d. (formerly A.D.), Jul 7, 2005
  9. Kim

    Kim Guest

    > Kim wrote:
    >> Thanks AD for your "hard refresh" suggestion. However, this did not work,
    >> perhaps there is a setting in the browser that needs to be altered?
    >>

    > You've stumped me. I'm out. Paradise Faults 0800 467 272, say "technical
    > assistance" and pray for a short wait in the queue.

    Just for the record, Paradise Faults could not sort this one out. The fact
    that I cannot access the members' section of the Paradise web site with
    Microsoft Internet Explorer is unusual because I have no trouble in
    accessing the e-mail section of their web site with this program. A friend
    suggested I should install the Mozilla Firefox browser, and I am pleased to
    report that this browser is able to access BOTH the members' and e-mail
    sections of the Paradise Net web site. This would indicate that Internet
    Explorer has some incorrect settings, is corrupted, or that the members'
    section of the Paradise Net web site needs revision so that it will always
    recognize a request from Internet Explorer for access. Any suggestions about
    what may be the problem with my Internet Explorer program would be welcome.
    Kim, Jul 13, 2005
  10. Kim

    Max Burke Guest

    > Kim scribbled:
    > Just for the record, Paradise Faults could not sort this one out. The
    > fact that I cannot access the members' section of the Paradise web
    > site with Microsoft Internet Explorer is unusual because I have no
    > trouble in accessing the e-mail section of their web site with this
    > program.

    Have you added the paradise URL to IE's trusted sites zone?

    Here's their main/home website: http://www2.paradise.net.nz

    Add that to the trusted sites zone and you should be able to access the
    members page...

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Jul 13, 2005
  11. Kim

    Kim Guest

    "Max Burke" <> wrote in message
    >> Kim scribbled:
    >> Just for the record, Paradise Faults could not sort this one out. The
    >> fact that I cannot access the members' section of the Paradise web
    >> site with Microsoft Internet Explorer is unusual because I have no
    >> trouble in accessing the e-mail section of their web site with this
    >> program.

    > Have you added the paradise URL to IE's trusted sites zone?
    >
    > Here's their main/home website: http://www2.paradise.net.nz
    >
    > Add that to the trusted sites zone and you should be able to access the
    > members page...

    Good thought Max, thank you. I added Paradise Net to IE's trusted sites zone
    but this did not work. The login and password prompt for the Members'
    section still did not appear and I again got the Error 401 message that says
    my browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required. I rang
    Microsoft about the problem who generously offered to let me talk to a
    technician if I was prepared to pay $35 for the phone call. When I asked why
    they charged $35, I was told that the technicians are in Australia and the
    charge is to cover their phone costs from NZ to Australia.
    Kim, Jul 13, 2005
  12. Kim

    Redbaiter Guest

    Kim says...

    > "Max Burke" <> wrote in message
    > >> Kim scribbled:
    > >> Just for the record, Paradise Faults could not sort this one out. The
    > >> fact that I cannot access the members' section of the Paradise web
    > >> site with Microsoft Internet Explorer is unusual because I have no
    > >> trouble in accessing the e-mail section of their web site with this
    > >> program.

    > > Have you added the paradise URL to IE's trusted sites zone?
    > >
    > > Here's their main/home website: http://www2.paradise.net.nz
    > >
    > > Add that to the trusted sites zone and you should be able to access the
    > > members page...

    > Good thought Max, thank you. I added Paradise Net to IE's trusted sites zone
    > but this did not work. The login and password prompt for the Members'
    > section still did not appear and I again got the Error 401 message that says
    > my browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required. I rang
    > Microsoft about the problem who generously offered to let me talk to a
    > technician if I was prepared to pay $35 for the phone call. When I asked why
    > they charged $35, I was told that the technicians are in Australia and the
    > charge is to cover their phone costs from NZ to Australia.

    Maybe you've got script turned off in your
    advanced settings..
    Redbaiter, Jul 13, 2005
  13. Kim

    Kim Guest

    "Redbaiter" <> wrote in message
    > Kim says...
    >>
    >> "Max Burke" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Have you added the paradise URL to IE's trusted sites zone?
    >> >
    >> > Here's their main/home website: http://www2.paradise.net.nz
    >> >
    >> > Add that to the trusted sites zone and you should be able to access the
    >> > members page...

    >> Good thought Max, thank you. I added Paradise Net to IE's trusted sites
    >> zone
    >> but this did not work. The login and password prompt for the Members'
    >> section still did not appear and I again got the Error 401 message that
    >> says
    >> my browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required. I
    >> rang
    >> Microsoft about the problem who generously offered to let me talk to a
    >> technician if I was prepared to pay $35 for the phone call. When I asked
    >> why
    >> they charged $35, I was told that the technicians are in Australia and
    >> the
    >> charge is to cover their phone costs from NZ to Australia.
    >>

    > Maybe you've got script turned off in your
    > advanced settings..

    Thanks very much Redbaiter for this comment, this was definitely the source
    of the problem! The following article was also helpful:

    http://www.hazmatschool.com/descriptions/IE-java-instruct.html

    In case anyone else has this problem, this is the path I followed in
    Internet Explorer (version 6.0.2900.2180 etc.)

    Tools; Internet Options; Security

    Then highlighted "Internet"

    Clicked on "Custom Level"

    Reset to "Medium", then clicked "reset" then clicked "OK"

    Checked that all the following were enabled: "Active scripting"; "Allow
    paste operations via script"; "Scripting of Java applets"

    Although my settings did not need to be altered because they were already
    set as above, perhaps pushing the "reset" button may have cleared something
    on my computer. Anyway, I can now get the login and password prompts from
    the members' section of the Paradise Net website.

    I noticed that there is another setting: "Allow scripting of Internet
    Explorer Webbrowser control". On my computer this is still "disabled", but I
    am not sure what this setting does?

    Thanks for your help.

    Kim
    Kim, Jul 14, 2005
  14. Kim

    Redbaiter Guest

    Kim says

    > > Maybe you've got script turned off in your
    > > advanced settings..

    > Thanks very much Redbaiter for this comment, this was definitely the source
    > of the problem!

    That's OK Kim, glad to help.. most people on here think I'm just
    a pretty face..
    Redbaiter, Jul 14, 2005
  15. Kim

    Rob J Guest

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:50:44 +1200, "Kim" <> wrote:

    >"Redbaiter" <> wrote in message
    >> Kim says...
    >>>
    >>> "Max Burke" <> wrote in message

    >>> Good thought Max, thank you. I added Paradise Net to IE's trusted sites
    >>> zone
    >>> but this did not work. The login and password prompt for the Members'
    >>> section still did not appear and I again got the Error 401 message that
    >>> says
    >>> my browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required. I
    >>> rang
    >>> Microsoft about the problem who generously offered to let me talk to a
    >>> technician if I was prepared to pay $35 for the phone call. When I asked
    >>> why
    >>> they charged $35, I was told that the technicians are in Australia and
    >>> the
    >>> charge is to cover their phone costs from NZ to Australia.
    >>>

    >> Maybe you've got script turned off in your
    >> advanced settings..

    >Thanks very much Redbaiter for this comment, this was definitely the source
    >of the problem! The following article was also helpful:
    >
    >http://www.hazmatschool.com/descriptions/IE-java-instruct.html
    >
    >In case anyone else has this problem, this is the path I followed in
    >Internet Explorer (version 6.0.2900.2180 etc.)
    >
    >Tools; Internet Options; Security
    >
    >Then highlighted "Internet"
    >
    >Clicked on "Custom Level"
    >
    >Reset to "Medium", then clicked "reset" then clicked "OK"
    >
    >Checked that all the following were enabled: "Active scripting"; "Allow
    >paste operations via script"; "Scripting of Java applets"
    >
    >Although my settings did not need to be altered because they were already
    >set as above, perhaps pushing the "reset" button may have cleared something
    >on my computer. Anyway, I can now get the login and password prompts from
    >the members' section of the Paradise Net website.
    >
    >I noticed that there is another setting: "Allow scripting of Internet
    >Explorer Webbrowser control". On my computer this is still "disabled", but I
    >am not sure what this setting does?

    The Webbrowser control is used in applications that use IE to display
    HTML etc.
    Rob J, Jul 14, 2005