Paradise.net Terms & Conditions

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ralph Fox, Oct 28, 2005.

  1. Ralph Fox

    Ralph Fox Guest

    I just received an email from Paradise.net advising of new
    Terms & Conditions.

    > To view the new terms and conditions please go to the
    > following website:
    > http://www2.paradise.net.nz/terms.html

    This part of the T&Cs caught my eye...

    | 11. Collecting and using information about you
    | You agree that we may cancel this agreement (even where
    | a minimum term applies to Internet service(s) we are
    | supplying) if you request us to stop sending you any
    | information about new services and changes to existing
    | services that we offer or information about services
    | offered by our carefully selected business partners.

    It leaves open a future option of them sending me spam
    from third parties (carefully selected for the $$ they
    pay to have their spam forwarded) and if I don't agree
    to be spammed then they cancel my Internet connection.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Change is inevitable. Progress is optional.
    Ralph Fox, Oct 28, 2005

  2. Ralph Fox

    J.wilson Guest

    "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid> wrote in
    message news:...

    > I just received an email from Paradise.net advising of new
    > Terms & Conditions.
    >
    >> To view the new terms and conditions please go to the
    >> following website:
    >> http://www2.paradise.net.nz/terms.html

    snip

    Why could they not have just spelled out the changes?
    I started to read them but then I realised I never read them
    in the first place.
    J.wilson, Oct 28, 2005

  3. Ralph Fox

    thingy Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > I just received an email from Paradise.net advising of new
    > Terms & Conditions.
    >

    >>To view the new terms and conditions please go to the
    >>following website:
    >>http://www2.paradise.net.nz/terms.html

    > This part of the T&Cs caught my eye...
    >
    > | 11. Collecting and using information about you
    > | You agree that we may cancel this agreement (even where
    > | a minimum term applies to Internet service(s) we are
    > | supplying) if you request us to stop sending you any
    > | information about new services and changes to existing
    > | services that we offer or information about services
    > | offered by our carefully selected business partners.
    >

    > It leaves open a future option of them sending me spam
    > from third parties (carefully selected for the $$ they
    > pay to have their spam forwarded) and if I don't agree
    > to be spammed then they cancel my Internet connection.

    Nasty.....

    I wonder if it would stand up in court....the anti-spam act is coming
    in....I guess if they spammed you and you hit them with that they
    retaliate by cutting you off.

    If I recall in the first instance you should complain to your ISP. but
    waht if the spammer is your ISP.

    Says a lot about how they do not value you as a customer, but that
    does not surprise me.

    Let us know if they start spamming you. Of course you dont have to use
    your paradise email account, you could just do a gmail one and let the
    paradise one fill up....with their spam.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Oct 28, 2005
  4. Ralph Fox

    steve Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:

    > I just received an email from Paradise.net advising of new
    > Terms & Conditions.
    >
    >> To view the new terms and conditions please go to the
    >> following website:
    >> http://www2.paradise.net.nz/terms.html

    > This part of the T&Cs caught my eye...
    >
    > | 11. Collecting and using information about you
    > | You agree that we may cancel this agreement (even where
    > | a minimum term applies to Internet service(s) we are
    > | supplying) if you request us to stop sending you any
    > | information about new services and changes to existing
    > | services that we offer or information about services
    > | offered by our carefully selected business partners.
    >

    > It leaves open a future option of them sending me spam
    > from third parties (carefully selected for the $$ they
    > pay to have their spam forwarded) and if I don't agree
    > to be spammed then they cancel my Internet connection.

    Run your own mail server like I do....and they can send whatever they like
    to your paradise.net.nz mailbox.

    You'd never use it anyway.
    steve, Oct 28, 2005
  5. Ralph Fox

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Ralph Fox wrote:
    >

    > > I just received an email from Paradise.net advising of new
    > > Terms & Conditions.
    > >
    > >> To view the new terms and conditions please go to the
    > >> following website:
    > >> http://www2.paradise.net.nz/terms.html

    > > This part of the T&Cs caught my eye...
    > >
    > > | 11. Collecting and using information about you
    > > | You agree that we may cancel this agreement (even where
    > > | a minimum term applies to Internet service(s) we are
    > > | supplying) if you request us to stop sending you any
    > > | information about new services and changes to existing
    > > | services that we offer or information about services
    > > | offered by our carefully selected business partners.
    > >

    > > It leaves open a future option of them sending me spam
    > > from third parties (carefully selected for the $$ they
    > > pay to have their spam forwarded) and if I don't agree
    > > to be spammed then they cancel my Internet connection.

    > Run your own mail server like I do....and they can send whatever they like
    > to your paradise.net.nz mailbox.
    >
    > You'd never use it anyway.

    You're actually *obligated* by the t&c to keep your ISP email a/c
    checked - ie not left full.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Oct 29, 2005
  6. Ralph Fox

    steve Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Ralph Fox wrote:
    >>

    >> > I just received an email from Paradise.net advising of new
    >> > Terms & Conditions.

    >> > This part of the T&Cs caught my eye...

    >> > It leaves open a future option of them sending me spam
    >> > from third parties (carefully selected for the $$ they
    >> > pay to have their spam forwarded) and if I don't agree
    >> > to be spammed then they cancel my Internet connection.

    >> Run your own mail server like I do....and they can send whatever they
    >> like to your paradise.net.nz mailbox.
    >>
    >> You'd never use it anyway.

    > You're actually *obligated* by the t&c to keep your ISP email a/c
    > checked - ie not left full.

    Hmm....maybe I should check it then.

    Or wait until they ask me to?

    :)
    steve, Oct 29, 2005
  7. Ralph Fox

    thingy Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    >

    >>In article <>,
    >>says...

    >>>Run your own mail server like I do....and they can send whatever they
    >>>like to your paradise.net.nz mailbox.
    >>>
    >>>You'd never use it anyway.

    >>You're actually *obligated* by the t&c to keep your ISP email a/c
    >>checked - ie not left full.

    > Hmm....maybe I should check it then.
    >
    > Or wait until they ask me to?
    >
    > :)

    and with 150,000 customers they are going to be checking? they cant even
    keep the mail & news servers going as it is. Sytec keep advertising for
    sys admins, I suspect their outsourcer cant get staff....

    So what are they going to do, ring you and ask you to empty your email box?

    ;]

    Delete your account but keep charging you?

    I think not....

    I dont know how much of this is them planning a marketing campaign to
    spam you off the planet or just covering their butt over the proposed
    anti-spam laws......most likely the latter......

    Time will tell....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Oct 29, 2005
  8. Ralph Fox

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    steve <> wrote:

    >Hmm....maybe I should check it then.

    I seem to recall noticing that actually having a paradise.net email account
    was optional. I'll check next time I'm online.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    Don Hills, Oct 29, 2005
  9. Ralph Fox

    a.d. Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > I just received an email from Paradise.net advising of new
    > Terms & Conditions.
    >

    >>To view the new terms and conditions please go to the
    >>following website:
    >>http://www2.paradise.net.nz/terms.html

    > This part of the T&Cs caught my eye...
    >
    > | 11. Collecting and using information about you
    > | You agree that we may cancel this agreement (even where
    > | a minimum term applies to Internet service(s) we are
    > | supplying) if you request us to stop sending you any
    > | information about new services and changes to existing
    > | services that we offer or information about services
    > | offered by our carefully selected business partners.
    >

    > It leaves open a future option of them sending me spam
    > from third parties (carefully selected for the $$ they
    > pay to have their spam forwarded) and if I don't agree
    > to be spammed then they cancel my Internet connection.

    I think you missed the point.

    You cut out quite a bit in between and turned it into one faux paragraph.

    What they are trying to say is: they are covering their ass with the
    looming Telecom Jetstream Partnership pull out. It's actually a timely
    terms and conditions change. Telecom is simply going to cut off heaps of
    people with separate internet providers and it's not paradise's fault
    you didn't check your emails.

    a.d.
    a.d., Oct 29, 2005
  10. Ralph Fox

    joe_90 Guest

    a.d. wrote:
    > Ralph Fox wrote:
    >
    >> I just received an email from Paradise.net advising of new Terms &
    >> Conditions.
    >>

    >>> To view the new terms and conditions please go to the
    >>> following website:
    >>> http://www2.paradise.net.nz/terms.html

    >> This part of the T&Cs caught my eye...
    >>
    >> | 11. Collecting and using information about you
    >> | You agree that we may cancel this agreement (even where | a
    >> minimum term applies to Internet service(s) we are | supplying) if
    >> you request us to stop sending you any | information about new
    >> services and changes to existing | services that we offer or
    >> information about services | offered by our carefully selected
    >> business partners.
    >>
    >> It leaves open a future option of them sending me spam from third
    >> parties (carefully selected for the $$ they pay to have their spam
    >> forwarded) and if I don't agree to be spammed then they cancel my
    >> Internet connection.
    >>

    > I think you missed the point.
    >
    > You cut out quite a bit in between and turned it into one faux paragraph.
    >
    > What they are trying to say is: they are covering their ass with the
    > looming Telecom Jetstream Partnership pull out. It's actually a timely
    > terms and conditions change. Telecom is simply going to cut off heaps of
    > people with separate internet providers and it's not paradise's fault
    > you didn't check your emails.
    >
    > a.d.

    Well that's not how it reads to me, and I've read the relevant
    paragraphs in context.

    I can see the connection between the section on cancellation of service
    and the end of Jetstream, as you suggest, but that doesn't explain the
    issue of termination of account for refusing to accept unsolicited
    email. It's a completely different issue.
    joe_90, Oct 29, 2005