Paradise.net still reducing newsgroup choices.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by RayC, Jan 21, 2006.

  1. RayC

    RayC Guest

    As stated in mid November i was surprised that on my return from 3 weeks
    overseas that Paradise had not included any additional news groups when i
    checked the ones i subscribe to.

    Teranews and Easynews added about 200 when i checked them as
    a comparison.

    As at posting this on the 22/1/06 Paradise have still not added one new
    additional group for 5 weeks, in fact they continue to chip away and reduce
    the choices each week.

    I estimate in the last 5 weeks Teranews and Easynews had posted
    about 500-600 new choices available for subscription on subjects that
    must be of interest to the ISP members.

    As previously stated Paradise can put all these new choices on group
    download,so that only ones of interest are brought into their system.If
    the reading of any group ceases then the group refresh can also cease.

    Not to do so is to be deceptive--implying nothing is new when there
    are so many additional choices. IT is also censorship.

    Removing group services without telling subscribers is even a worse business
    practice and should be widely publicised to Paradise
    subscribers(clear.net also if the same News server is used)

    And i cannot contact the Paradise person responsible to ask why,despite
    numerous phone calls and emails to all posted Paradise addresses.

    Whence posting here.

    http://mail.spaminspector.com
    RayC, Jan 21, 2006

  2. RayC wrote:
    > As at posting this on the 22/1/06 Paradise have still not added one new
    > additional group for 5 weeks, in fact they continue to chip away and reduce
    > the choices each week.

    Are you sure that you are refreshing the list correctly in your news reader?

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Jan 22, 2006

  3. RayC

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>, "RayC" <> wrote:

    |Removing group services without telling subscribers is even a worse business
    |practice and should be widely publicised to Paradise
    |subscribers(clear.net also if the same News server is used)

    It is the same news server. Some time last year Paradise discontinued their
    (good) news sever and pointed to Clear's (not so good) server. One of the
    groups I regularly followed on Paradise's server was not on the Clear
    server. I finally managed to get a group add request through to the people
    maintaining the Clear server. It was refused, they said they were already
    maxed out on their feed from the upstream server. It was one of the comp.*
    groups too, not a fringe interest alt.* group.

    |And i cannot contact the Paradise person responsible to ask why,despite
    |numerous phone calls and emails to all posted Paradise addresses.

    They'll be hiding from you for certain, they likely have orders from above
    to run down the NNTP service because relatively few people use it and it's
    unprofitable for them. You need to raise a help desk call and specifically
    ask to have it forwarded to the administrator for the Clear news server.
    Don't just whinge about the general dropping of groups. Pick a popular,
    high-volume group in the comp.*, rec.*, sci.* etc hierarchies that they have
    dropped and enguire about it specifically.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    Don Hills, Jan 22, 2006
  4. RayC

    RayC Guest

    Not that silly, if you read my post teranews and Easynews have
    new choices each log-in, Paradise never offers that info.

    RayC, Jan 22, 2006
  5. RayC

    RayC Guest

    One help desk operator with an Indian or Pakistani accent asked
    me to explain what the Newsmaster does on the help line.

    It got worse after that. He would not even give me the Auckland
    09-xxxxxxx number to ring direct.

    RayC, Jan 22, 2006
  6. RayC

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "RayC" <> wrote in message
    > One help desk operator with an Indian or Pakistani accent asked
    > me to explain what the Newsmaster does on the help line.
    >
    > It got worse after that. He would not even give me the Auckland
    > 09-xxxxxxx number to ring direct.

    It's just ihug all over again for you. Go and piss Xtra off for a change.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jan 22, 2006
  7. RayC

    steve Guest

    RayC wrote:

    > And i cannot contact the Paradise person responsible to ask why,despite
    > numerous phone calls and emails to all posted  Paradise addresses.

    Have you logged a Help Desk call?

    It's only fair to go through the correct support procedures and give them a
    chance to respond.

    Paradise.net's response rate can be very good (same day) or very poor (3
    weeks or never)....in my experience.

    They are owned by TelstraClearand have been for some time.......so the
    founding impetus that made paradise.net "good" is by now well and truly
    dissipated.

    So if they are cutting service elements you're interrested in it will be
    because the money/time/resource they save is greater than the potential
    loss of a small number of customers.
    steve, Jan 22, 2006
  8. RayC

    steve Guest

    RayC wrote:

    > One help desk operator with an Indian or Pakistani accent asked
    > me to explain what the Newsmaster does on the help line.

    Ah....quality support from a Telstra subsidiary.

    > It got worse after that. He would not even give me the Auckland
    > 09-xxxxxxx number to ring direct.

    They don't want calls from customers clogging the lines. Especially calls
    they have no intention of providing a satisfactory outcome for.
    steve, Jan 22, 2006
  9. RayC

    geopelia Guest

    "RayC" <> wrote in message
    > Not that silly, if you read my post teranews and Easynews have
    > new choices each log-in, Paradise never offers that info.
    >

    > "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > > RayC wrote:
    > >> As at posting this on the 22/1/06 Paradise have still not added one new
    > >> additional group for 5 weeks, in fact they continue to chip away and
    > >> reduce the choices each week.

    > > Are you sure that you are refreshing the list correctly in your news
    > > reader?
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > Nicholas Sherlock

    How do you do that please? I have news.xtra.co.nz They used to say when
    there were new groups, but I haven't seen any for some time.

    Geopelia
    geopelia, Jan 23, 2006
  10. RayC

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "geopelia" <> wrote in news:6_WAf.19545$vH5.907739
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    Try here:
    http://slyck.com/ng.php?page=1

    First thing you will probably want to do is dump IE for News, but it can be
    tamed. Google for an IE news reader walk through.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jan 23, 2006
  11. RayC

    geopelia Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "geopelia" <> wrote in news:6_WAf.19545$vH5.907739
    > @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > Try here:
    > http://slyck.com/ng.php?page=1
    >
    > First thing you will probably want to do is dump IE for News, but it can

    be
    > tamed. Google for an IE news reader walk through.
    >
    > --
    > Ciao, Dave

    Thank you. I tried that but it is too technical for me. I can't get on with
    the Google groups at all, so confusing since they changed them a while ago.

    Geopelia
    geopelia, Jan 23, 2006
  12. RayC

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "RayC" <> wrote in message
    >> Not that silly, if you read my post teranews and Easynews have
    >> new choices each log-in, Paradise never offers that info.
    >>

    >> "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Are you sure that you are refreshing the list correctly in your news
    >> > reader?
    >> >
    >> > Cheers,
    >> > Nicholas Sherlock

    > How do you do that please? I have news.xtra.co.nz They used to say when
    > there were new groups, but I haven't seen any for some time.
    >
    > Geopelia

    Under Tools - Options - General (tab) - "Notify me if there are any new
    newgroups" should be ticked.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jan 24, 2006
  13. RayC

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "geopelia" <> wrote in news:Vc3Bf.19736$vH5.911992
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > Google for an IE news reader walk through.

    Using google to search "as in a verb" for something is different than using
    Goolgel Groups Feature. I meant for you to use google to help you find the
    answer.

    try this:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/oe/gettingnews.mspx

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jan 25, 2006
  14. RayC

    RayC Guest

    Yeah like i am a newbie.

    Paradise is ripping us off and censoring the Internet is my point.

    Interestingly since my post here and on other nz groups a few of my groups
    that were cut off are now getting posts once again.

    Somebody up there in HQ is READING THE GROUP MESSAGES.

    But still no new additions.

    READ THIS NEWSMASTER at Paradise.net.nz

    RayC, Jan 26, 2006
  15. RayC

    EMB Guest

    RayC wrote:

    > Interestingly since my post here and on other nz groups a few of my groups
    > that were cut off are now getting posts once again.

    Have a look at how some newsfeeds work, and you'll understand that it's
    probable that nobody is reading your messages, but that merely by
    posting them you are "waking" the newsgroups.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Jan 26, 2006
  16. RayC

    geopelia Guest

    > "geopelia" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "RayC" <> wrote in message
    > >> Not that silly, if you read my post teranews and Easynews have
    > >> new choices each log-in, Paradise never offers that info.
    > >>

    > >> "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message

    > > How do you do that please? I have news.xtra.co.nz They used to say when
    > > there were new groups, but I haven't seen any for some time.
    > >
    > > Geopelia

    > Under Tools - Options - General (tab) - "Notify me if there are any new
    > newgroups" should be ticked.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Yes, that is ticked, thank you.
    Maybe there just haven't been any new groups lately.

    Geopelia
    geopelia, Jan 26, 2006
  17. RayC

    > "geopelia" <> wrote in news:Vc3Bf.19736$vH5.911992
    > @news.xtra.co.nz:
    >
    > > Google for an IE news reader walk through.
    > >

    > Using google to search "as in a verb" for something is different than

    using
    > Goolgel Groups Feature. I meant for you to use google to help you find

    the
    > answer.
    >
    > try this:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/oe/gettingnews.mspx
    >

    > --
    > Ciao, Dave

    Thank you. I've put that website into Favourites for reference. I have
    already got a list of all the groups. I'm surprised how many of them don't
    have any messages in them.

    Geopelia
    geopelia, Jan 26, 2006