  1. joe_90

    joe_90 Guest

    Anyone else having problems receiving emails on Paradise today?

    joe_90, Jan 21, 2005

  2. joe_90

    Max Burke Guest

    > joe_90 scribbled:

    > Anyone else having problems receiving emails on Paradise today?

    Not just emails, their homepage server has been down since about 09:00pm
    last night....

    What with their recent cable outage that took over 12 hours to fix, their
    news server failure, it's time for mee to start looking for a more reliable
    ISP....

    Any suggestions????

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Jan 21, 2005

  3. joe_90

    EMB Guest

    Max Burke wrote:

    > Any suggestions????

    ihug have been great on non-UBS ADSL ,except when the news server borked
    just before xmas (whilst I was on holiday so I didn't really notice).

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Jan 21, 2005
  4. joe_90

    Max Burke Guest

    > EMB scribbled:

    > Max Burke wrote:

    >> Any suggestions????

    > ihug have been great on non-UBS ADSL ,except when the news server
    > borked just before xmas (whilst I was on holiday so I didn't really
    > notice).

    I moved from Ihug (several years ago) because they had the same/similar
    'reliability' problems (it took them months to fix their news server.) I
    only keep my Ihug account running (9.95 mnth) as a backup for
    email/testing....

    I dont need anything more than a dialup account BTW

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Jan 21, 2005
  5. joe_90

    Ross Dawson Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:29:03 +1300, joe_90
    <joe_90_remove@nospam_myhttpmail.com> wrote:

    >Anyone else having problems receiving emails on Paradise today?

    Yes, heaps and heaps, also I don't have nearly as much email as I
    usually do, lets hope they haven't lost any.

    --
    Cheers for now

    Ross Dawson.

    Ross Dawson, Jan 21, 2005
  6. joe_90

    A.D. Guest

    Max Burke wrote:
    >> joe_90 scribbled:

    >> Anyone else having problems receiving emails on Paradise today?

    > Not just emails, their homepage server has been down since about 09:00pm
    > last night....
    >
    > What with their recent cable outage that took over 12 hours to fix,
    > their news server failure, it's time for mee to start looking for a more
    > reliable ISP....
    >
    > Any suggestions????

    Ever consider the possibility that no internet provider is 100%
    reliable? Everyone seems to have issues with their ISP - Xtra's shit,
    Orcon's shit, IHUGs shit, you name it I've heard people complain about it.

    I rang paradise help desk and they said that their email server was
    targeted by "independent security analysts" which affected server
    performance and they took it offline rather than risk a security
    compromise. They took the web hosting offline for the same security
    reasons. The email server apparently came back online at 3.30pm and
    they're in the process of delivering emails, albeit slowly.

    A.D.

    A.D., Jan 21, 2005
  7. joe_90

    froggy Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 18:09:20 +1300, Max Burke wrote:

    >> A.D. scribbled:

    >>> Not just emails, their homepage server has been down since about
    >>> 09:00pm last night....
    >>> What with their recent cable outage that took over 12 hours to fix,
    >>> their news server failure, it's time for mee to start looking for a
    >>> more reliable ISP....
    >>> Any suggestions????

    >> Ever consider the possibility that no internet provider is 100%
    >> reliable? Everyone seems to have issues with their ISP - Xtra's shit,
    >> Orcon's shit, IHUGs shit, you name it I've heard people complain
    >> about it.

    > They're ALL in the business of providing a 'service't to their *paying*
    > customers.
    > When they dont do that then they ALL deserve the compliants about their LACK
    > of service.....
    >
    >> I rang paradise help desk and they said that their email server was
    >> targeted by "independent security analysts" which affected server
    >> performance and they took it offline rather than risk a security
    >> compromise. They took the web hosting offline for the same security
    >> reasons. The email server apparently came back online at 3.30pm and
    >> they're in the process of delivering emails, albeit slowly.

    > OK so it's not their fault that they're being/been hacked (helpdesk person
    > telling me why the homepage server was down) but surely they should be
    > protecting their business 'assetts' from such things.....
    >
    > I wonder what OS their servers are runninng, and how come they're insecure
    > enought to require such an action to be taken.....

    as its possible to have servers completely up to date (patch wise )and
    still have them hacked it may not completely be their fault however.. if
    they are aware of the problem.. surely backup servers are available

    froggy, Jan 21, 2005
  8. joe_90

    Max Burke Guest

    Max Burke, Jan 21, 2005
  9. joe_90

    A.D. Guest

    >>I wonder what OS their servers are runninng, and how come they're insecure
    >>enought to require such an action to be taken.....

    > as its possible to have servers completely up to date (patch wise )and
    > still have them hacked it may not completely be their fault however.. if
    > they are aware of the problem.. surely backup servers are available

    It's like frost bite, your body sacrifices a few toes for the greater
    course and you look a bit silly afterwards.

    A.D.

    A.D., Jan 21, 2005
  10. joe_90

    Bruce Knox Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:50:05 +1300, "A.D." <> wrote:

    >Max Burke wrote:

    >I rang paradise help desk and they said that their email server was
    >targeted by "independent security analysts" which affected server
    >performance and they took it offline rather than risk a security
    >compromise. They took the web hosting offline for the same security
    >reasons. The email server apparently came back online at 3.30pm and
    >they're in the process of delivering emails, albeit slowly.
    >
    >A.D.

    Why cant they post a message on their web page. Having to ring them to
    find out whats wrong just watses everyones time.

    I understand things sometimes happen but I like to be informed and
    comforted by statements that they are working on it :)

    Bruce.

    Bruce Knox, Jan 21, 2005
  11. joe_90

    joe_90 Guest

    Bruce Knox wrote:

    > Why cant they post a message on their web page. Having to ring them to
    > find out whats wrong just watses everyones time.
    >
    > I understand things sometimes happen but I like to be informed and
    > comforted by statements that they are working on it :)

    I agree.

    They claim it is more effective to put a recorded message on the
    telephone support line, and I agree that this is a good idea if there
    are network access problems. I called support today and there was no
    message preceding the annoying voice recognition system so it would seem
    the task was falling on help desk personnel.

    They actually have a 'network status' web page from back in the
    pre-Telstra days, but it has not been updated for over 2 years. I have
    twice requested that they resume updating this, but I am left with the
    impression that they just can't be bothered.

    joe_90, Jan 21, 2005
  12. joe_90

    Kookaburra Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:24:37 +1300, "Max Burke"
    <> wrote:

    >> joe_90 scribbled:

    >> Anyone else having problems receiving emails on Paradise today?

    >Not just emails, their homepage server has been down since about 09:00pm
    >last night....

    I noticed I couldn't get my Paradise homepages today. I've been
    trialling KOL these past 2 days and I found I had to connect back to
    Paradise this evening as KOL is painfully slow. KOL doesn't have
    newsgroups either and my free TeraNews account seems to be 12 hours
    behind with the posts from nz.comp and nz.general.

    Kookaburra, Jan 21, 2005
  13. joe_90

    froggy Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 22:47:40 +1300, Kookaburra wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 18:54:36 +1300, Bruce Knox
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Why cant they post a message on their web page. Having to ring them to
    >>find out whats wrong just watses everyones time.
    >>
    >> I understand things sometimes happen but I like to be informed and
    >>comforted by statements that they are working on it :)
    >>
    >>Bruce.

    > I see there is a message on their main page.

    heh .. I thought only kids in chatrooms pulled the modem plug out of the
    wall when their firewalls detected a threat

    froggy, Jan 21, 2005
  14. joe_90

    Kookaburra Guest

    Kookaburra, Jan 21, 2005
  15. In article <>, joe_90_remove@nospam_myhttpmail.com
    says...
    > Anyone else having problems receiving emails on Paradise today?

    yep..nothing all day and the connection to the pop server was timing out
    half the time. Tried again just now and some e-mail from about 8am had
    finally arrived.

    Kerry Ferrand, Jan 21, 2005
  16. joe_90

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <>, joe_90_remove@nospam_myhttpmail.com
    says...
    > Anyone else having problems receiving emails on Paradise today?

    I've had probs with Paradise (cable) email not arriving since Friday -
    'bout 2am.

    Indeed it gets worse, at up to about 20 hours after that I've had
    intermittent internet connectivity - and at times I've had no internet
    connection at all.

    I have phoned them (got cut off after hopefull lodging the fault) - the
    guy I spoke to checked other cable modems in my area and was not able to
    connect to any of them (including mine).

    I have had some folk tell me they have sent me email - but I have not
    received it. At present, connectivity looks good - but the emails that
    these folk have sent have not bounced back, nor have I recieved them (I
    have manually telnetted in to be sure there is nothing there).

    So I'm none to impressed really.

    --
    Duncan

    T-Boy, Jan 22, 2005
  17. joe_90

    Ross Dawson Guest

    As a follow-up to the post below.

    At 20:02 on Friday night 21 I sent an email to myself and as of just a
    few minutes ago it still hadn't turned up. time now is approximately
    17:05 Saturday 22.

    Ross Dawson, Jan 22, 2005
  18. joe_90

    A.D. Guest

    Ross Dawson wrote:
    > As a follow-up to the post below.
    >
    > At 20:02 on Friday night 21 I sent an email to myself and as of just a
    > few minutes ago it still hadn't turned up. time now is approximately
    > 17:05 Saturday 22.
    >
    > On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:47:39 +1300, Ross Dawson
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:29:03 +1300, joe_90
    >><joe_90_remove@nospam_myhttpmail.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Anyone else having problems receiving emails on Paradise today?

    >>Yes, heaps and heaps, also I don't have nearly as much email as I
    >>usually do, lets hope they haven't lost any.

    I tried this test myself on my 2 paradise and 1 other ISP email accounts.

    The other ISP showed up straight away, but paradise had a 3 minute delay.

    A.D.

    A.D., Jan 22, 2005
  19. joe_90

    Col~ Guest

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:54:59 +1300, "A.D." <> wrote:

    >Ross Dawson wrote:
    >> As a follow-up to the post below.
    >>
    >> At 20:02 on Friday night 21 I sent an email to myself and as of just a
    >> few minutes ago it still hadn't turned up. time now is approximately
    >> 17:05 Saturday 22.
    >>
    >> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:47:39 +1300, Ross Dawson
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>Yes, heaps and heaps, also I don't have nearly as much email as I
    >>>usually do, lets hope they haven't lost any.

    >I tried this test myself on my 2 paradise and 1 other ISP email accounts.
    >
    >The other ISP showed up straight away, but paradise had a 3 minute delay.
    >
    >A.D.

    All is explained on their homepage
    www.paradise.net.nz
    --

    Col

    Col's law.
    Thinly sliced cabbage..

    Col~, Jan 22, 2005
  20. joe_90

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Col~" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:54:59 +1300, "A.D." <> wrote:
    >
    > >Ross Dawson wrote:
    > >> As a follow-up to the post below.
    > >>
    > >> At 20:02 on Friday night 21 I sent an email to myself and as of just a
    > >> few minutes ago it still hadn't turned up. time now is approximately
    > >> 17:05 Saturday 22.

    > >I tried this test myself on my 2 paradise and 1 other ISP email accounts.
    > >
    > >The other ISP showed up straight away, but paradise had a 3 minute delay.
    > >
    > >A.D.

    > All is explained on their homepage
    > www.paradise.net.nz
    > --
    >
    > Col

    LOL
    There's nothing of the sort "on their homepage".

    There is however a new help setup very similar to another ISP.

    "There is currently an outage on the Paradise server
    'vanessa.paradise.net.nz'

    This server is responsible for most web hosting services on the Paradise.Net
    network.

    It is also causing some load balancing issues across the other servers, so
    there may also be some mail delays when sending email.

    Technicians are solely focusing on getting this resolved as quickly as
    possible without causing loss of data."

    I think that pretty well explains the problems you are having.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jan 22, 2005